• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

MexTrek, Oct 22-25, 2008

Martin,

2 of the maps in the packet are custom maps. I ordered the most current topographical maps from INEGI (the Mexican government organization that makes maps). 6 months later they finally arrived. Once I had them I had a map maker make a custom map of our riding area by combining 6 of the topo sheets. I then modified the map with Photoshop (added some roads, town names, etc). Finally, I divided that custom map into a north and south map.

It took me about a year to figure out what needed to be done, how to get the maps, and then how to customize them, but I think it was well worth the effort.

The 3rd map - the overview map - was downloaded from the web. I stumbled across it a couple of years ago.

OK, that sounds like a lot of work but the finished product is the Best.Thanks for you efforts.

For those interesting in camping a night in the high country surrounding Galeana . I will have a 15 cup coffee perculator and coffee etc. :welcome:

James

You are THE man. :clap:

How long is the extension cord for that perculator? :lol2:

Seriously, I may just pack my tent and join you. I have a small Tree Frog tent and the usual camping fixins. Pretty minimalist stuff, perfect for a moto trip. For coffee, I usually break out the JetBoil and the Aerobie press.

Anybody else? :chug:

Bob :coffee:

Martin,

I ordered the most current topographical maps from INEGI (the Mexican government organization that makes maps). 6 months later they finally arrived. .

FYI: Good source for Mexican topos (quads as well as 1:250K's). Reasonable prices and shipping time as long as the maps are in stock. Their supply on the quads isn't as good as the 250's. Prices are reasonable.

http://omnimap.com/base/Catalog.html

Regards,

Joel.

I'll be going down from Austin also. Probably stay longer. We should talk once it gets closer to see the dates you are able to go. I have been down there climbing a few times and know spanish ; that should help.

For those interesting in camping a night in the high country surrounding Galeana . I will have a 15 cup coffee perculator and coffee etc. :welcome:

I'll be there and mixing camping w/ hotels. Coffee and camping , great mix.

Is anyone currently using a Garmin Rino GPS w/two way radio etc. ?

Richard
I just mailed off my check,,,,,,
Got a brother in Austin and one in Midland, that will be riding down with me...
They will register soon, Looking forward to the ride,,,,,,,
See you in Mexico
Mike Williams

Richard, it looks like I am officially out. The upgrade at work is going to nix my vacation day. It is a shame since I have the KLR sorted out and now outfitted with some decent panniers for the trip.

IMG_1138.jpg

The old top box is now mounted longitudinally to clear the pannier lids. It is ready for a trip somewhere.

Mexico will be there another week.

Richard, it looks like I am officially out.
Mexico will be there another week.

Ed, Sorry you can't make it. I was hoping we could ride down together. The big Beamers go way too fast for me.:lol2: Maybe next time.

Did you go with the Baja and Bavaria panniers? They sure make for a nice looking rig. Beats baskets all to heck.:)

Thanks Jerry, they are the Bavaria (large) version. Found a set used but virtually unscratched on another forum for half the cost of new. Could not pass that up!

Anyone want to meet in Laredo on the 21st,spend the night,then caravan down to Galena on the 22nd? I'm taking the 525 EX/C and my truck,all the way to the hotel. I'm thinking a caravan to Galena,maybe two or three vehicles, would be a safer deal than driving alone?

we are leaving our truck and trailer in laredo and riding down, but going with a few other people going in the same direction would be good

Google Earth and Google Maps have recently updated the region. The whole area now is in high resolution. Ya'll go check it out!

I would love to do this ride, but I am nervous about the crossing and first few miles into Mexico. I have heard nothing but bad news out of Laredo for some time now. Is McAllen any safer? It would suck big time to have problems on such a trip. Tell me if I am being a little sissy. If I go I would surely like to cross with as many people as I could gather up.

I would love to do this ride, but I am nervous about the crossing and first few miles into Mexico. I have heard nothing but bad news out of Laredo for some time now. Is McAllen any safer? It would suck big time to have problems on such a trip. Tell me if I am being a little sissy. If I go I would surely like to cross with as many people as I could gather up.

No, you're not being a sissy.

Many people who have not been to Mexico - by that I mean crossing the border on a motorcycle, not flying to Cancun - have a rational concern of the unknown.

Definitely hook up with someone going across and who can prep you with the border crossing paperwork. You'll feel comfortable and you'll get to know the process. In the future you'll lead others across.

Border towns are OK places during the day by yourself, and OK at night in groups. But they, like the resort towns, are not really "Mexico". By that I mean, generally, places you can really concentrate more on the scenery and the food and the roads and less on who is walking behind you - like any U.S. city these days.

Make sure you have all the required paperwork in order, your bike prepped, wear your gear, and finds some friends to ride with. And bring your camera. In no time you'll be telling your neighbors who would never ride a bike to Mexico what they're missing.

Bob

If I go I would surely like to cross with as many people as I could gather up.

Good point. I have an idea for facilitating riders linking up and traveling to Galeana. I've started a thread for riders who want to link up with others to ride down to Galeana. Reply to that thread, let me know what group you want to be in and I'll add you to the list.

Here's the link: Let's Ride to Galeana together

txdiamond17,

I think getting through a border town like Laredo safely is not really any different than traveling through a town like Houston, Dallas, or Austin. Observe the same safety rules you would when going through a town like Houston. Ride through in the daytime and stick to the main roads. Thousands of people do it every day with little to no trouble reported. It's those who are involved with drugs that tend to be involved in the stuff that makes the headlines.

A smaller crossing, like Columbia (northwest of Laredo about 30 miles), will be much less dense, traffic wise and can be a good choice for the first time rider to Mexico.

Thanks for the tips guys. If I can get off of work and go, I will surely post on the groups and hook up with some others to get there.

Diff w/ hotels

Does anyone knoe the differences between Jardin & Magdalena hotel ?

Jardin is $30 p/p and Magdalena is $18 p/p .
There are 12 rooms left at Jardin.

I dont mind paying a little extra for a better hotel. But, if they are similar any savings will count.

Thanks for any info from people that have been there before.

Re: Diff w/ hotels

Does anyone knoe the differences between Jardin & Magdalena hotel ?

Jardin is $30 p/p and Magdalena is $18 p/p .
There are 12 rooms left at Jardin.

I dont mind paying a little extra for a better hotel. But, if they are similar any savings will count.

Thanks for any info from people that have been there before.

They are about the same in terms of comfort, design, etc. I stayed in Jardin last year, but got a brief tour of Magdalena. The rooms in Magdelana looked pretty much the same as the room I had at Jardin.

Prices at Jardin have gone up. I think I paid $24 last year for a room for 2.

As an FYI, Magdelana and Jardin are both on the plaza, about 30 yards from each other, so both are centrally located.

I sent my registration today. Which days do we need hotels? And is the info for the hotels in the registration package?

I sent my registration today. Which days do we need hotels? And is the info for the hotels in the registration package?

MexTrek runs Wed evening through Sat morning. You will need a room Wed night, Oct 22 - Fri night, Oct 24 unless you are planning on coming early or staying extra days.

All the hotel info is in the registration package. I tried to include everything related to logistics in the ride guide.

Re: Diff w/ hotels

They are about the same in terms of comfort, design, etc. I stayed in Jardin last year, but got a brief tour of Magdalena. The rooms in Magdelana looked pretty much the same as the room I had at Jardin.

Prices at Jardin have gone up. I think I paid $24 last year for a room for 2.

As an FYI, Magdelana and Jardin are both on the plaza, about 30 yards from each other, so both are centrally located.

It was kind of weird when I asked the guy at the Jardin how much it was (in spanish) he said 280 pesos, then found out the dates and said that was going to be 300 pesos. Cant blame him I guess, its supply and demand.

Back