• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

MexTrek, Oct 22-25, 2008

I will be staying at the Magdalena .

The chips and salsa, smell of the food, (bistek encebollado),Fajitas, Tortillas,
Cold beverages... Did i mention the Salsa?

Hi Richard.....Registered, got my maps and ride guide nice job. put me on the list.
Got a question for you. It seems that everyones route to Galeana is to the west side of Monterey. am I missing something? If comming from San Antonio to McAllen, then to China, Montemorelos, Linares, Galeana. is this not a good route for some reason?

Thanks Don

Got a question for you. It seems that everyones route to Galeana is to the west side of Monterey. am I missing something? If comming from San Antonio to McAllen, then to China, Montemorelos, Linares, Galeana. is this not a good route for some reason?

Thanks Don

Don,

The route you are taking is the same as I'm taking.

For those crossing at Laredo, routing west of Monterrey is the fastest route.

For those crossing at McAllen, I think the China - Montemorelos route is fastest (though I'm going Montemorelos - Rayones - Galena).

Cabin fever settin in as i read " Down That Pan American Highway"
by roger Stephens in 1948. 3,321 miles - 32 days - he spent $140.14 .
Its Original print . got it off ebay. I always like to see some of the old
PAH when S. of the border.

Hey Chango:
Bring it w/ you to Galeana. we'll do nightly readings :trust:
I dont know how many of those books I have in my house. Sure do enjoy the feeling of getting away that those adventure books give.
Anyway, enjoy.

Coming from DFW I am going to be looking for a spot to park a pickup and trailer on this side of the border, and take only the bike into Mexico. I know of one other rider whose bike will be on my trailer, and can squeeze another on too if that comes together.

I will have the whole week off from work, was wondering if anyone else was going down a couple of days early.

Any one wanting to leave cars, trucks or trailers on my ranch is welcome to. I live in Verhalen which is about 20 miles south of Pecos and 15 miles north of Balmorhea. My place is just off highway 17. and in between I 10 and I 20. If you want to call the number is 432.375.0135. This also rings at my office so if Mary answers just tell her what is going on. She will tell you how to get to the ranch and let me know you are coming.

to those of you with GPS put in 204 FM3334 town Balmorhea. Verhalen really isnt a town just a wide spot in the road.

Best Regards to you all. And be careful down south.

A professor of mine has done a lot of research on the Pan-Am Hwy and as a project, had us take portions of it and set it up a presentation board as if we were doing a road trip.

My professor did the bus trip to Panama over 6 months in '94 and '95 and spent about $1000. He was in Chiapas, MX 1 day before the Zapatistas' uprising. He said there was incredible tension in the air, but nothing negative towards him.

I've considered doing a Pan-Am trip, but not on the XRL

Update on obtaining paperwork. I went to the Mexican Consulate in Houston today. Got my Vehicular Permit. However , They said they do not
issue the " Tourist visas " there anymore. They said get it at the border.
Makes sense as one would have to stop at the border and get it validated
anyway.

Wahoo, just got my childcare issue resolved so I'll be going on the trip.

Registration sent. Can't wait!!!!!

" Hey Chango:
Bring it w/ you to Galeana. we'll do nightly readings "

I'll bring it.

Looking forward to the trip. Five of us from Houston are going JR, Jim Green, Delores, Klaus and Jim Knight.

Richard has done an outstanding job on the book and maps. The gps maps are awesome on my Zumo 550. I also would recommend the Bicimaps Mexico mapset.
:clap:

Richard has done an outstanding job on the book and maps. The gps maps are awesome on my Zumo 550. I also would recommend the Bicimaps Mexico mapset.
:clap:

I hate to sound ignorant, but sometimes I can't help it. Where did you get the GPS maps? Were they posted in this thread and I missed them or were they included in the registration package?

Chris,

I've mapped out all 12 routes in .gpx format and have made them available to all registered riders. The URL where you can download them is in the maps section of the ride guide.

If you don't already have one, you will need to buy a Mexico map for your GPS. Garmin (assuming you use a Garmin) doesn't sell a good map of Mexico and their City Navigator North America shows very few of the roads in Mexico. I recommend the Mexico GPS Atlas from BiciMapas - it shows most of the roads, includes topo lines, and it autoroutes.

Update on obtaining paperwork. I went to the Mexican Consulate in Houston today. Got my Vehicular Permit. However , They said they do not
issue the " Tourist visas " there anymore. They said get it at the border.
Makes sense as one would have to stop at the border and get it validated
anyway.

Chango:

What did you bring with you to the Mexican Consulate to get the vehicle permit?

Thanks

Jr

Chango:

What did you bring with you to the Mexican Consulate to get the vehicle permit?

Thanks

Jr

I brought my title , passport , and a photo copy of each one .
And of course they ask for a credit card.

Hey guys, I'm bowing out "this year". Brenda and I are getting married after 15 years.:eek2: So I'll be busy. Looking forward to the reports. Be Safe and Smart!:clap:

Birds Eye View

368009387_FaRz3-XL.jpg

If you get your permit here, do you need to carry your title with you to the border?

Answer: No

Optional Reading:

If you obtain your vehicle permit at a consulate, the only remaining piece will be the Tourist Visa, which you will obtain at the Aduana (customs) office at the border.

You will not be required to carry your vehicle title, in fact it is not a good idea. It will not be needed nor asked for, and it will be just one more key document to keep track of.

If you obtain your vehicle permit at the Aduana, you in fact do not need a vehicle title, just the original vehicle registration which must match the name of the operator AND the name on the credit card you wish to use. If you are "Richard Johnson" on one document but "Rich Johnson" on the other, that won't cut it so get that addressed now.

On vehicle titles used to obtain vehicle permits, I always highlite the VIN number and my name, and I sign the registration in blue ink somewhere in an open space. Sounds wierd, I know, but border officials can be officious and they also like to find what they're looking for fast.

Don't forget to bring your passport for your tourist visa, or a raised seal birth certificate (not a certificate of birth - they're not the same thing, and the latter won't work for you).

Bonus Tip: Call your credit card provider the week before the trip, and put a travel alert on your card. Depending upon the bank, you may run into a hold on the card if you fail to notify them in advance. Dealing with that even in a border town will be frustrating and you'll be calling the bank while everybody else is processing though. If you have two credit cards, bring a second one as a spare and hide it on your bike.

I've seen vehicle titles signed over from one rider to the next at border crossings to facilitate entry but that's another subject entirely and you won't even approach that complicity.

Just bring your drivers license, your registration and a credit card with the same name on each and you'll fly through Aduana.

Bob

Can anyone explain more on what "original registration" means? I have the registration receipt I got from my country tax office when renewing the plates, which has the license plate number, vin, owner name, etc. but I've gone through the paperwork I received from the dealer when I bought my bike and don't see an "original"one. Far as I remember, I paid the dealer a few extra bucks (they all usually try and charge this) and the permanent plates came in the mail a month or so later. I don't remember any other paperwork with them, but maybe there was. Will the renewal registration that you peel the registration sticker off work? if not, any idea how I can get a certified copy of the original?

jinbody,

The most current registration receipt is what I've used the previous 4 times I've entered Mexico. I've used it with no problems.

Will the renewal registration that you peel the registration sticker off work?

That's all I've ever used.

We don't have a MX consulate in Asheville, NC so I've always done mine at the border. I've always taken my title and registration but have only been asked for the registration. I've have heard some say they were asked for the title. I will take mine again next time.

As Bob mentioned earlier: Passport, CC in your name, registration.
All names must match. A friend from KC and I tried to cross in Presidio last October. His CC said Richard but his registration said Dick. Took him 2 hours to get it settled. Had to run back and forth between offices and sign an affidavit saying that Dick and Richard were the same name.

And another note: It is not required but I wouldn't even think of crossing the border without Mexican Insurance. US insurance is no good south of the border. If you are involved in an accident without insurance, you will go to jail until they sort out who is at fault.

Kenny

I just called the hotels in Galeana to make room reservations. The Jardin have no rooms available and the Magdalena wants $180 per night. My caller who speaks very good spanish confirmed the $180. We spoke to Niomi at the hotel. I liitle price increase is OK but this is too much.:giveup:

I Googled the town but did not find any other hotels listed in Galeana.

Does anyone know of any more hotels in Galeana or can suggest a town near by where I might find a room ?

Bill

Back