• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

MexTrek, Oct 22-25, 2008

Update:

I had a special topo map of our riding area made for us and it is finally done. The ride guide is about 3/4 finished and I'm working furiously to get it done in the next week. Based on intel from last year's recon and assistance from Milton Otto there are 12 recommended routes ranging from class 1 to class 3. And, finally, I've got a price quote for the t-shirts.

So, I expect to open registration next week.

Last edited:
Looks interesting, especially the part about the Cuban Dancers who are friendly toward older guys.:)

Is it very difficult to learn to read Mexican road signs? Will I need a short course in Mexican lingo?

If I am able to get a Zumo GPS by then would it be possible to plot a route from the US to Mexico with the maps that normally come on the US version?

I have two options as far as bikes to ride there: 1. Truck the DR350S all the way, or 2. pack and ride the KLR650 all the way there. In your opinion would one be better than the other? From my place, it a little 500 miles to Galeana.

Thanks

Jerry,

It's not particular difficult to figure out what most of the roads signs are telling you. A quick review on the internet will probably bring you up to speed pretty quickly.

I don't know if you can plot a course to Galeana with the maps that come with the Zumo. But, for sure the maps that come with the Zumo don't have the smaller roads in Mexico, so I recommend the Bicimaps to you.

As for trailering the 350 or riding the KLR, it's a personal decision because I think both options are about the same. Is 500 miles of highway in 1 day on the KLR more or less appealing than trailering the DR? When you get there do you want to ride the more difficult class 3 routes or do you prefer the class 1 & 2 routes?

+1 on Bicimapas

They have just released the 2008 upgrade which details many of the smaller roads and trails that were not on the 2007 and earlier versions. Also detailed on the 2008 version is a topo feature that shows up when you zoom in to a high resolution view. Their software works with Mapsource and now autoroutes. Prices are $60 for the Northeast map which covers all of our intended area, or $97 for all of Mexico.

Is there an un-official/official sign up ride list, for MexTrek?

Excellent question and perfect timing.

Registration is now open for MexTrek. I finishd the ride guide last night, which was the last thing I needed to get done before opening registration.

You can download the registration form here: MexTrek

Check is in the Mail.

Thanks,
Mike

PS: about the Cuban women-see attached pic

Ok,Ok, Any other sidecar rigs going? I'm going to combine this with a trip into
some other areas. Maybe West of Galeana or South of there. Not sure yet.:rider:

Excellent question and perfect timing.

Registration is now open for MexTrek. I finishd the ride guide last night, which was the last thing I needed to get done before opening registration.

You can download the registration form here: MexTrek

Registration and check in the mail.

Bill:rider:

OK, help me out here. I am interested in getting into dual sport. I have 250,000 or so miles on road bikes, quite a bit of experience on ATV's in sand, dirt, and mud, and some limited dirt bike experience. Since I live in the country, I have to ride my BMW 1150RT on gravel, like, every day. Quite a bit of solo touring. I am pretty physically fit for my age which is 59. Here is my question:

Is this ride something that I could do if I apply myself? I am thinking about getting a dual sport bike, possibly a KLR, in the next couple of months, getting as much time on it as possible, and trying to be ready to go by Oct. I might trailer it down and take off riding from the start point, or I might ride down there over a two day period.

Or, should I start off with something less ambitious? By the way when I decide to do something, I can get pretty serious about it.......

db

Dave,

Considering your extensive motorcycling experience and the fact that you ride on gravel often, I think you would be able to handle MexTrek fine. Get that KLR and spend some time riding dirt roads (you don't even have to ride off-road, just non-paved roads). If you can handle the dirt roads in Texas on a KLR you will be fine in Mexico on the class 1 and 2 non-paved roads.

I'm heading to that area in the next couple weeks or so. Richard, need me to check on anything in particular?

You could check to see if they've built a third hotel in Galeana. I heard one was being built. If so, its name, address, and phone number would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for the offer.

I have a friend w/ bike expirience that wants to join me on this trip . But, he only has a street bike for now. Does anyone know of a rental outfit for dual sports around the border ?

Vinny,

I don't know of a rental outfit at the border, but there is one in Austin that rents KLRs.

I think the challenge will be getting the vehicle sticker for a rented bike. The Mexican government is quite particular about the rules for bringing in vehicles and I'm not sure what your friend would have to do to get a rental into Mexico.

Thanks Richard; I'll look into it. Maybe the rental company will know.

Thanks Richard; I'll look into it. Maybe the rental company will know.

I dont know if Richard PMd you the info or not, but I'm pretty sure MotoDiscovery is the one he is referring to.

A buddy of mine was wanting to fly to Monterrey to meet me next weekend and rent a bike to ride. MD said $800 for a week to rent a DR650. I'm not sure what that includes and if it is to cross the border or not. I'm sure MD can get the bike across and you can do your thing after that. I have no idea, honestly.

Good luck.

Terra
Great info; you just saved me some time. Sounds expensive though.:eek2:
I'll pass it on.

There are 185 two stroke Suzuki's (new)for sale in Monterrey for around $2300.00 .

I have a friend w/ bike expirience that wants to join me on this trip . But, he only has a street bike for now. Does anyone know of a rental outfit for dual sports around the border ?

From Adventure Mexico Insurance today via email:

Gas Prices in Mexico

"$$ Gas Prices are Much Cheaper in Mexico $$$

Mexico gas prices are currently much lower than US gas prices, so you may even save money by driving to Mexico instead of a US destination!

Regular unleaded gas in Mexico is about $2.80 per gallon (US dollars & coverted from liters)

Diesel is currently even less expensive at about $2.19 per gallon (US dollars & converted from liters)

NOTE: The further you get from the border, the cheaper the gas prices will get. The Pemex stations near the US border tend to charge much higher prices."

Passports

"Passports are NOT required for driving to Mexico, but Birth Certificates are if you do not have a passport!

- Passports or PassCards will not be required for land border crossings until June 2009.

- As of January 2008, US Border Authorities began asking for photo id and proof of US citizenship in the form of a passport or birth certificate.

-The new wallet-sized Passport Cards or PassCards can be applied for today!"

More info on passcards here

Richard,

Excellent job on the registration materials (received today). The large color topo maps were a very nice touch!

Regards,

Joel.

Back