• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

MexTrek, Oct 22-25, 2008

I just went online and did the vehicle permit on the bajercito website.

Quick and painless.

You do have to know which border crossing you will use; you do have to specify a date that you are crossing, and you have to have ready your VIN and passport number, and you use your credit card to pay.

The permit is supposed to be mailed within 10 days, and the person signing for the FedEx package needs to show the passport and the credit card used for payment.

You also have to return copies of documents, probably registration and passport etc. I'll comment on that when I get the package in the mail.

You still have to stop at aduana and get your tourist visa, but that only takes a few moments.

Any questions post them here or PM

Bob

Ok, I've been sitting on the fence for so long my *** is killing me. I'm jumpin' off on the MX side.

I just printed out the registration form and will get it in the mail Monday morning.

I will be leaving NC on Sat, the 18th and will probably be crossing the border Monday, Oct 20th. I may meet some of the other guys in Laredo/Colombia or I may cross at McAllen and blast on down to Xilitla and Jalpan. Maybe swing back thru Zacatecas or GTO on the way to Galeana. I was there last October and I missed a few things and really want to get back down there.

Sign me up Richard. I am sending you a PM.

Thanks,

Kenny

Last edited by a moderator:
Just got my permit Thursday at the Consulate in Houston. I only neaded to have registration, drivers license, and passport (plus credit card). They asked where I would cross the border but they told me it was not a problem if that changes later. No letter from the lien holder was required.

Anyone trailering from Dallas or Houston with trailer space for an XR650L?

I will help with Gas.

Otherwise, I'll swap tires and think twice about riding that friggan far on my XR650L.... AGAIN!:doh:

Hey Guys,

I'm not sure if this has been covered. I'm going in thru Columbia crossing on Monday and thinking on leaving thru Mcallen on Sunday. Can I do that? or do I have to return thru the same place?
I guess I could ask at Columbia when I pass thru there.

I have left MX at a different location from my point of entry on several occasions. It was never a problem. Just make sure to get your vehicle import permit canceled.

Kenny

Vinny,

Kenny is right. You don't have to exit at the same place that you entered. Last year my group went in at Columbus and exited at Laredo and had no issues cancelling our vehicle permits.

Banjercito

Got the vehicle permit in hand delivered by FedEx - applied online on Saturday, FedEx at the door on Tuesday with a smile, and handed me the permit.

:clap:

The process couldn't have been easier.

If you want to save time at the border, consider the Banjercito website for your permit. The link is above.

It was the first time I've used the website, but not the last.

;-)

You have to specify a crossing, but in real life it doesn't matter where you enter and where you exit, as long as you turn in the permit when you leave Mexico and get a receipt. (Unless, of course, you plan to go back and use the same permit within a six month window)

muy facil

Bob

Looking for parking?

Me and right now one other maybe two others are look to go down some were on the boarder park our trucks and tralers some were safe for the week. What we are hoping to do is get down there the Saturday before and go acrouse on Sunday ride down the coast and were ever till wednesday. Then ride on over to Galeana check in. Can eney one tell me of a good place to park and tell of some good places to check out? And if some of ya'll might like to ride with us let me know.
Winer & new to dirt riding need not apply

I would kinda like to hook up with someone leaving Sunday or Monday but I'm not sure if I can meet all your requirements. I never whine but I've only been riding about 45 years. I do ***** sometimes but not often and only about something really important. I ride a XR650L so if you are planning a lot of high speed pavement count me out, otherwise I am interested. Dale

Rick M and Big A have vehicle permits in hand , we had alot more fun getting ours than Tricepilot . I called the Mex consolate Monday and found out there days open and hours . Mon - Fri 8am - 1pm . We drove down Tuesday morning and they were closed for a Mexican holiday !@#$%^&*^%# :doh: we were pissed . So I called again this morning and spoke to someone to make sure they were open - we drove back down and there were Mexicans all over the place - must have been 100-150 inside . I told Big A we were going to be there a long time - then we figured out where to go for the vehicle permits and we were done in 15 minutes .Next time we will take Tricepilots advise ,but on the positive side we went by Lone Star BMW and got to drool at the new f 800 gs , so it was all good . :clap:
Rick M

:doh: we were pissed .

363476295_PAnqA-L.jpg

363492568_NkAWi-L.jpg

You don't look like the get-pissed type

You look like the type I'd like to ride Mexico with

:party:

just sayin'

Bob

Looking forward to the trip. Five of us from Houston are going JR, Jim Green, Delores, Klaus and Jim Knight.

Richard has done an outstanding job on the book and maps. The gps maps are awesome on my Zumo 550. I also would recommend the Bicimaps Mexico mapset.
:clap:

I am in Houston and would like to go with a group. What day do you plan on leaving. I would like to spend Tuesday night at the border if possible.

PharrSide;

I would kinda like to hook up with someone leaving Sunday or Monday but I'm not sure if I can meet all your requirements. I never whine but I've only been riding about 45 years. I do ***** sometimes but not often and only about something really important. I ride a XR650L so if you are planning a lot of high speed pavement count me out, otherwise I am interested. Dale

Hay Dale, the buddy I was going to do that longer ride with can't make now, his house and bike were undere three feet of water last weekend. Sory, but one of the others and I are going down on Tuesday and crossing Wednesday
and ride in. We try to stay off of the Hwy our self and more to the back roads and trails as much as we can. What they are calling class 3's the guys and that I ride with and I look for most. I ride a KTM 950 and other guy is on a 450xcw but don't let the size of my bike fool you I can get were I need it. We are looking at crossing at McAllen if you are others would like to ride in with us.

Bruce

Just got back from the consulate in Austin. Took about 15 min to get the vehicle permit. They asked for the registration papers, my passport and a credit card. Very easy......

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSWWWWWWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTTTT
Rick M :thumb:

Keep in mind that they will charge you tax on the value of the bike listed on the registration. You get it back only after you do the paper work coming back into the US. If you decide not to go you are out of luck or will have to cross the border just to get the refund.

Keep in mind that they will charge you tax on the value of the bike listed on the registration. You get it back only after you do the paper work coming back into the US. If you decide not to go you are out of luck or will have to cross the border just to get the refund.

skup,

Maybe I missed out on some money I should have gotten back but I've never received a tax refund (or any refund) when I've done the paperwork to bring my motorcycle out of Mexico. Nor have any of the riders I've been with received a tax refund.

Last year, one rider with me paid the bond on his bike with cash instead of using a credit card and that money was refunded to him when he checked his bike out of Mexico. Is that what you are talking about?

PharrSide;

Hay Dale, the buddy I was going to do that longer ride with can't make now, his house and bike were undere three feet of water last weekend. Sory, but one of the others and I are going down on Tuesday and crossing Wednesday
and ride in. We try to stay off of the Hwy our self and more to the back roads and trails as much as we can. What they are calling class 3's the guys and that I ride with and I look for most. I ride a KTM 950 and other guy is on a 450xcw but don't let the size of my bike fool you I can get were I need it. We are looking at crossing at McAllen if you are others would like to ride in with us.

Bruce

Bruce, If I can't hook up with someone who wants to leave a couple of days early I plan to ride with the group crossing at McAllen on Wednesday morning. It sounds like you will be there as well. Dale

skup,

Maybe I missed out on some money I should have gotten back but I've never received a tax refund (or any refund) when I've done the paperwork to bring my motorcycle out of Mexico. Nor have any of the riders I've been with received a tax refund.

Last year, one rider with me paid the bond on his bike with cash instead of using a credit card and that money was refunded to him when he checked his bike out of Mexico. Is that what you are talking about?

I believe we are talking aout the same thing. They charged me the tax on the bike on my credit card and said I would get the refund on the border once I crossed back. They also said the refund was only credited at the border. I assume so they can verify that you are bringing the bike back.

skup,

I agree, we are talking about the same thing. Thanks.

I have a non street legal XR650R that I've ridden several times in Baja. In Baja it doesn't matter if you're street legal. Is this ride possible on a non legal bike or do I have to put a kit on it? Also, is everyone riding down or is anyone trailering/trucking their bikes down? The XR isn't exactly fun to ride for hours and hours on pavement.

Thanks

jtb73,

Interesting question. I don't know if your bike needs a street legal kit. I always just assumed we needed to be street legal, but never actually asked / investigated the question.

I'm trailering to McAllen and riding from there.

Baja is different than the Mainland . If your XR has an off road only title in
your name . That PROBABLY will get your vehicle permit. There are plenty of U.S. riders that ride competition down there . I'll send you some info. you can ask him.

Dale, There is a guy name Chuck that I have road with before that called me the other day. And was trying get me to ride with him in Copper Canyon the weekend before and then ride down from there for this. But I just don't have the time to do that much riding, I sure wish I did. If your up for that much then I can give him a call for you.

Bruce

Back