• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

MexTrek, Oct 22-25, 2008

Re: MexTrek, Oct 22-25, 2008- Insurance & Legal Aid

Just renewed my policy for mexico- $83 annual premium for liab & legal aid on anything you drive in MX- Called a drivers license policy. Have carried it for 6 yrs- never have used it.

ADA VIS Global Enterprises, Inc.

P.O. Box 744

Temecula, Ca 92593

800-909-4457 ext. 226

cadjuster@adavisglobal.com

You can apply over the phone & have it emailed to you.

MFF

Re: Tires for MexTrek

My 62 closests friends:

Just ordered a TKC 80 for the front and a Maxxis Detour for the rear of my Wee Strom from Bike Bandit. I guess I should of asked if any of you had any problems getting tires from them. Hope all goes well. I heard that the Detour tires have been getting low in stock.
Can't wait !! :rider:

I receibed the TKC 80 in 2 days and just receibed the Maxxis today. I am pleased w/ Bike Bandit and would recomend them.

I live in Austin. Any ideas on prices for putting the new tires on? At cycle gear they mentioned that for $20 they would do it if I bring the wheel to them. What do you think?

Thanks. Vinny.

Vinny,

$20 is a good price. It's the lowest I've heard of in Austin.

Wish I could read Spanish and understand the install instructions. I'd like to try some of these out.

Well, spanish would help - but you would need to add some castellano/portugese/italian fusion to the dialect to hit a home run.

The guy hails from Cordoba - and there isn't anything like it in the spanish speaking world. BTDT (and it isn't easy)

Bob

Guys,

Its driving me crazy to still wait for the trip. So , I have packed my wee strom and am heading west towards Campwood/Lost maples in the am. Planning on camping somewhere.
If anyone is interested on meeting over there call me.

Vinny
512 796 3595

Wish I could go. I was in Mexicon a couple of weeks ago, drove from Houston thru Monterrey, Saltillo, San Luis Potosi, Delores Hidalgo down to Guanajuato. Scenery was amazing.

My only recommendation is to get your vehicle permit and (free) visa here at the consulate. The Nuevo Lerado Mexican permit office is annoying, confusing, made us pay for numerous copies of our docs, and was not open to the idea of a 7 day tourist visa (free) but wanted us to get a 180 day visa ($35.00 times 5 people). After an hour of arguing we wore them down and for $35 times 1 person and $0 times 4 persons we were on our way with 180 day visas.

Monterrey is an exciting town to ride. The mountains between Monterrey and Saltillo breathtaking, with a bunch of really pretty mountains near Guanajuato. Everything was the greenest it's been in years.

Gas at PEMEX is cash only. As are most all stuff except hotels, and they would rather see the cash than pay a credit charge. Two of three hotels we visited had 10% cash discount available. ATM's are available just about anywhere, but it's good to keep a stash somewhere. PEMEX pump jockeys will give you 9 pesos per dollar. Same with most restaurants and hotels if you pay with Dollars. Best to hit the exchange banks on the US side and get the 10.4 rate.

100_2319.jpg

100_2325.jpg

100_2346.jpg

100_2405.jpg

I found 10.65 pesos per US$ on the American side of Laredo bridge, when I was there last weekend. Surprisingly I found Money Exchange right in the building where you get you vehicle permits in Nuevo Laredo, they were offering 10.40 there I believe.(Don't remember seeing that before.) I saw 10.40 advertized at Galeana's one bank.

Yeah, and the desert was GREEN. (Sometimes you forget to mention the most obvious.) The locals told me they'd had 22 days of rain in September. So much rain the cows were growing moss on their backs. Lots of landslides but I've checked with my adventure tour guide friend Mauricio in Monterrey and he sez all roads are open, save the Huasteca Canyon connection to Cienega (de Gonzalez) which was always open to debate.

I got a PM from Roberto, a fellow ds rider living in Monterrey. Roberto rode the Gold Standard route a few days ago on his Strom, riding south from Laguna de Sanchez to Casillas. He says there was a mud slide / land slide on the road between Mesa de Oso and Casillas and he wasn't able to get through on his Strom. He did say that 4 wheelers and dirt bikes (like the KLR) can get through. Hopefully it will be fully open when we are there.

Border crossing into Mexico these days is adequately sophisticated with computers, internet the works. When I crossed at Laredo last week it was:

1) Get your tourist card filled out and stamped, by low paid immigration officials

Paso 2) Get your documents photocopied for $1.75 (give'em a pass on this, ok guys?), they photocopy Passport, Tourist Card (you just got it at Paso 1), Drivers License, and vehicle title,

Paso 3) The next window is run by a bank. Here you get your permit to temporaily import your vehicle ($31 charge to a credit card), plus you have to pay for the Tourist Card (another $23) which you can now do at the same window where you get you vehicle papers (that's new).

That's it. If everything is in order your done. Bike and or trailers get extra treatment but I don't think the fees are any greater. Check the book. Your credit card is used as assurance that you don't sell the vehicle in Mexico. Its used in lieu of the "bond" but I have never seen an actural charge on my card for anything besides the before mentioned permits. Personally I always feel lucky to get the 180 tourist card cause I keep it and use it again on my next visit, provided it hasn't expired.

When you leave Mexico, make sure you check out, that is CANCELL our vehicle permit at the car place before you leave. (Unless you are POSITIVE you'll be coming back with exactly the SAME vehicle before 180days expire.) In Laredo, at Bridge #2 (Puente 2) Cancellation booths are set up at the bridge so you can Cancel the vehicle papers at a booth just in front of the bridge toll booth, very slick. It is all done with computers and scanners. Yea Mexico! It's way easier at Columbia. Keep the cancelled paperwork and tourist card for your next visit.

Yeah, technically you can get a 7day tourist card for free, and I've done that before, but........... Like I said, I re-use 'em. However, if you really want to go this route, just tell the immigration official at the 1st window, the Tourist Card window, that you only want 7 days, or less. He's the one who grants the time limit. Then heaven forbid you don't somehow get detained.......... You know, they don't serve food in Mexican jails. You're are supposed to arrange your own. But that's another story.

He says there was a mud slide / land slide on the road between Mesa de Oso and Casillas and he wasn't able to get through on his Strom. He did say that 4 wheelers and dirt bikes (like the KLR) can get through. Hopefully it will be fully open when we are there.

Always an adventure down Mexico way.

Yeah, technically you can get a 7day tourist card for free, and I've done that before, but........... Like I said, I re-use 'em. However, if you really want to go this route, just tell the immigration official at the 1st window, the Tourist Card window, that you only want 7 days, or less. He's the one who grants the time limit.

Yes, these are the same gentlemen that:

1. Sent me to window 3 for permission to get a 7 day visa.

then:

2. Sent me to the outside "Principle 1" office (which didn't exist)

then:

3. Sent me in my car to the sanitation department a block away

then:

4. Sent me to cross back into the US, then back across the bridge to Mexico to find Carlos, his supervisor

then:

5. Called another officer on the phone from 30 feet away so as not to lose face when he agreed to the 1 for 5 deal.

I fell for diversions 1 and 2. Laughed my way out of 3 and 4. Gave up $5.00 in cash to officer #2 in step 5 and was on my way shortly after with 180 day visa. I just hate buying my kids 180 day visa to go for a 5 day trip to their uncle's wedding. They likely aren't going back anytime soon.

I brought my own copies, but had to pay $0.25 for one copy of the visa.

As we always say south of the border, "Tee Eye Em" aka "TIM" = This Is Mexico. Don't fight it, just love it. It's just Pesos anyway.

Milton and other fellows..

the pass from huasteca to cienega de gonzalez is very very difficult by the last week, to much water has destroyed the "roads" . 4 wheelers are having problems to pass thru, jeeps and trucks can´t do it at this time, maybe klr´s or dr´s can do it with a help of 2 or 3 guys ( carrying them, moving them ).. so doing the way huasteca to carbonera, is probably the best way to get to galeana.. i did it like 10 days ago...

and like Richard say, the pass from mesa del oso to casillas is interupted buy a mass of mud in the road... hopefully will be fixed at your time in galeana!!

enjoy the mountains , company and the great food around!

drive safe..

This is a bit off topic, but do you guys ever organize a paved trip into Mexico? I'm talking about for street bikes, but on non-interstate type roads. Objective would be to tour some of the colonial type towns. Cross-over around Juarez or Cd. Acuna then head down to areas around SLP, catch some bullfighting, etc.

Cheers,

Mike

This is a bit off topic, but do you guys ever organize a paved trip into Mexico? I'm talking about for street bikes, but on non-interstate type roads. Objective would be to tour some of the colonial type towns. Cross-over around Juarez or Cd. Acuna then head down to areas around SLP, catch some bullfighting, etc.

Cheers,

Mike

Mike -

Richard's Mex Trek is in keeping with the true dual-sport theme, he organizes great paved-to-get-to-off-road events that can't be beat.

But to satisfy your sweet-tooth for an all-paved itinerary in Mexico, I know you can find what you are looking for by just making your desires known.

For example, the first two weeks February next year, I am making the run from San Antonio to Mahahual (north of Belize) and back a different route - all paved.

I am currently push-pinning the map for that trip - which will include ancient ruins, Veracruz, San Cristobal de las Casas and what ever else we can fit into 2 weeks.

The point is - there are probably others as well who do Mexico paved as well as off-road, or combo of both, that if you post up your heart's desires somewhere on the site, someone is probably doing a trip you can join in on.

I'm sure if you pick a time and a destination and post it up, you'll find someone to go with.

Bob

Cheers,

Mike

Mike,

Sorry, I don't currently organize any pavement-only events. My focus is on dual sport adventures.

I brought my own copies, but had to pay $0.25 for one copy of the visa.

As we always say south of the border, "Tee Eye Em" aka "TIM" = This Is Mexico. Don't fight it, just love it. It's just Pesos anyway.

Aha! You brought your own photocopies. That must have been where you went wrong. :lol2: Seriously, heck, I dunno, sounds like a crazy story and I sure can't explain it. Seems like you should've qualified for the free pass. It all depends on the individual you meet across the glass, of course.

Richard & tricepilot,

Thanks for the feedback.

Saludos,

Mike

Anyone know what the lat/lon grid lines on the 1:250000 topo maps in the info package are set to, and what they are apart? Something like the lines are set on every x.x minutes or seconds, and are xx.xx seconds or minutes apart? I thought I could scan it and import it into my GPS/Cell phone like I've done some other maps, but I'm also using Google Earth to set the long/lat of major road intersections and I'm not getting the accuracy I'd expect.

Any one know if there is cell phone service in town (Galeana) and which carrier works. ATT?

My ATT phone has better reception in Galeana than at my home here! You will need to power the phone off and back on again to connect properly with the local network. Also it is necessary to dial the county code for US (001) first when calling home. I did not try to make a cellular to cellular call to friends also staying in Galeana, I'm curious to know if that would work. Anyone?

My ATT phone has better reception in Galeana than at my home here! You will need to power the phone off and back on again to connect properly with the local network. Also it is necessary to dial the county code for US (001) first when calling home. I did not try to make a cellular to cellular call to friends also staying in Galeana, I'm curious to know if that would work. Anyone?

Thanks. As a consultant I am tied to other peoples schedule! Since ATT works I will check with them on potential of recieving e-mail on my phone also.

I just went online and did the vehicle permit on the bajercito website. Quick and painless.

You also have to return copies of documents, probably registration and passport etc. I'll comment on that when I get the package in the mail.

OK,

I received the vehicle permit within 3 days by FedEx

I did not have to show any documents to the FedEx guy

I did email back to Mexico City Banjercity HQ a .jpg of the registration, drivers license, and passport, and I went ahead and added a .jpg copy of the corresponding official paper received with the actual permit, so they could be sure to credit the right account.

Here is the official reply from Mexico City:

Dear Robert:

Thanks for sending us so prompt the requested documentation. Everything is complete and we have integrated them into the respective file.

With best regards.

----- Mensaje original -----
De: x
Fecha: Miércoles, Octubre 1, 2008 2:18 pm
Asunto: Permiso de Importacion Temporal de Vehiculos
A: itvnet@banjercito.com.mx, x

> Attached please find scanned documents for Permiso de
> Importacion Temporal de Vehiculos
>
> Muchismas Gracias
>
> Robert
>

So, my assessment is that the whole process could not have been sweeter.

I could have mailed hard copy documents to Mexico City, or brought them to the border, or taken them to the consulate.

What happens if you don't follow through with this part? They don't flag your file and you probably have to present them when exiting the country, or have your bike confiscated there, or you could be made to watch re-runs of Rosie O'Donnell. Who knows, I didn't want to find out. And I thought, why do the hardcopy part when .jpgs are so easy - and it was.

Just food for thought if you want to go online and skip waiting in line come border time.

Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
Back