• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

MexTrek, Oct 22-25, 2008

ok, I'll bite. Walk me thru this Bob.

Banjercito

Milton et al, click this link and follow the instructions - just have your registration, DL, and passport handy (and some reading glasses, DAMHIK)

That plus your credit card, and you should have your permit by early next week.

Bob

Re: Bob's Top Tips

(5) The Mexican army has checkpoints...they are very professional...
I'm glad to hear someone else say that. My experience with the Mexican army both in and out of uniform has always been a pleasure.
(6) Call your credit card company and let them know the card will be pinged in Mexico. I have also used my ATM card from Mexico to Argentina but I call for that as well just to make sure the bank doesn't hold me up.
Sound advice. This has held me up in several Southeast Asian countries while there on business.
Now, the most important thing is this: Mexico isn't the border town nor is it Cancun or some other quasi-American retreat. What it is, is a country with the most amazing, beautiful people on planet and the best architecture, food, and scenery to be found on earth.
Well said! And much the same for the rest of Latin America.
I am making the run down to Mexico on the 11th of October in advance of MexTrek to Guadalajara and Puerto Vallarta via San Miguel de Allende and other colonial gems...
Have a safe trip.

Saludos,

Mike

One thing i have not ask anyone, all you guys that have gone down before, what kind of temperatures will we see? I know in the mountains it will be cool, but what about Galeana and the surounding area ?

Big A,

Unless a cold front or a heat wave hits while we are there, expect daytime highs to be in the mid to high 70s in Galeana and nights in the 50s. In the bottom of the canyons, daytime temps will be 10 - 15 degrees higher.

I found Galeana unseasonably cool/cold on my last visit Sept 27. I had to buy a long sleeve shirt to be out on the plaza at night. All the locals wore jackets or sweaters. A sweatshirt would've been great. Don't underestimate Galeana's altitude.

Any word on the Mesa de Oso - Casillas to Rayones route?
Guess i will find out very soon.

Hola Chango,

Do you have an update about food and lodging between Horse Tail Falls and Cienega de Gonzalez? I remember something about a place just after the falls. Suerte, Pancho

Pancho, The one i spoke of was just being built back in May. It is to be behind the "El Mirador " restuarant up from cola de Caballo . May not be finished yet. Localidad
Nombre
teléfonos
Pagina
Cabañas
Camping

Ciénega de Gonzalez
Antiguo Aserradero
52(81) 8376-5834 y (81) 8370-9111
www.antiguoaserradero.com
X
X

Ciénega de Gonzalez
La aldea
52(81)2285-0754, 2285-0511
www.laaldea.com.mx
X
X

Ciénega de Gonzalez
Cabañas de Santiago
52(81) 2285-2065
www.cabanasdesantiago.com
X

Ciénega de Gonzalez
Cabañas el Pinal
52(81) 8359-1029
www.elpinal.com
X
X

Ciénega de Gonzalez
Cabañas San Gerardo
52(81)2285-2815
www.rinconsangerardo.com
X
X

Lagunillas
Mesa del Oso
52(81) 8318-0505
www.mesadeloso.com
X
X

Ciénega de Gonzalez
Don Chema
52(81) 8376-1514
www.viajesnl.com
X

However, plenty of cabins in the area of Cienegas de Gonzales.

Richard,
My passport never made it in, I have my birth certificate in hand
My two brothers got there passports, Hope I can get in Mexico...
Mike

Mike,

The most recent update I have is that the US has delayed the passport requirement yet again and that you can still use a certified copy of your birth certificate.

Thanks, I sure hope so,,
See everyone down in Mexico,,,
Weather sounds good,
Mike

Jealous doesn't begin to describe my emotions for not being able to go. Bon voyage!!!! Have a great trip and be sure to record your memories.

Hey Shadman,

Thou shall not covet!!!

Seriously, sorry to hear you are not going.

Like everyone else on the site, I am just pumped up waiting for Wednesday morning. I picked up some new soft saddlebags this morning and bought my spare tire tubes. I thank you, Richard, and any one else I don't know about for the organizing of this trip. I will find out who you are and thank you personally in Galeana.

See ya all

I'm leaving NC in the morning. I hope to be in McAllen by Sunday night. That is if my butt can stand back-to-back 700 mile days on the KLR. :lol2:

I am meeting up with Pharrside and we plan to cross the border sometime Monday after I change my rear tire.

See you in Galeana.

Kenny

Tricepilot Crashes!!

I am typing this from Puerto Vallarta

I low sided in the mountains between Guadalajara and Puerto Vallarta.

Spactacular crash. Diving left hand turn, with rocks and sand in a corner.

Driver coming opposite direction rides the middle line, forcing me to change the corner line and sweep into the garbage on the shoulder.

Bike goes down, and I and the bike slide 50 feet. Major damage to the fork. Left side pannier exploded. Slid on gravel and sand.

Pain meds in progress. Tons of folks stopped to help me.

Bike will be repaired in P.V. by myself and Hank from Rhine West, who is here with me.

Tricepilot will press on after rest. Viva Mexico!

Tengo dolor en mi tobillo, rodilla, y muneca izquierda

My gear saved my life. Do NOT ride in jeans and a t shirt.

Kevlar mesh jacket, pants, and BOOTS!!!! Buy the best boots you can.

If you are following me on my SPOT, you should see where the accident happened. I will wrench the bike back into ridable condition this weekend here in Puerto Vallarta.

I will remove the broken parts of the bike and duct tape the beast, and ride on.

Yes, I have photos of the whole event. You must wait until I return to home, however.

The scenery between Guadalajara and P.V. is incredible.

Ride your own pace.

If I cannot fix the bike, I will fly home from P.V. and ship the bike.

Thank you all for being my friends, your support means a lot.

Bob

I'm leaving NC in the morning. I hope to be in McAllen by Sunday night. That is if my butt can stand back-to-back 700 mile days on the KLR. :lol2:

I am meeting up with Pharrside and we plan to cross the border sometime Monday after I change my rear tire.

See you in Galeana.

Kenny

Makes me feel weak for wondering how I'll do on my Wee from Austin:eek2:

Re: Tricepilot Crashes!!

Spactacular crash.
I was watching your SPOT, and had a funny feeling yesterday. "Why did he stop there? At 11:30 am?????" I asked myself. Worrried. Pulled out my best maps to be sure there wasn't no mescal factory nearby or something. Nope. Middle of nowhere. "He rode for 4 hours......"Dang", I'm thinkin'. "If I were his wife I'd be worried about that SPOT log. Maybe his transmitter (or whatever it is) broke. Yeah, that must be it."

Had me worried dude. So glad you are ok and you got the spirit, dude.

The message is clear. You guys BE CAREFUL. The rules change south of the border. Expect the unexpected. Yes you may meet a car in your lane. Ride accordingly. Yaduh yaduh yaduh.

Again. So really thankful you are still walking and talking, Bob.

Now go buy a card reader. Or any photo store will download for you.

**** Bob, that sucks. Glad to hear you are relatively ok. Hope you get the bike sorted and can continue. I know you were looking forward to it.

Let this be a little reminder to us all. Be extra vigilant when riding south of the border. You never know what you will see around the next bend and medical help is sometimes a long time coming.

Ya'll be careful out there ya' hear.

Kenny

Bob,

I'm really glad you are okay. Hopefully you can get the bike fixed and continue on. If I can help with anything, please let me know.

Re: Tricepilot Crashes!!

I am typing this from Puerto Vallarta

Spactacular crash. Diving left hand turn, with rocks and sand in a corner.

Driver coming opposite direction rides the middle line, forcing me to change the corner line and sweep into the garbage on the shoulder.

Bike goes down, and I and the bike slide 50 feet. Major damage to the fork. Left side pannier exploded. Slid on gravel and sand.

Pain meds in progress. Tons of folks stopped to help me.

Bike will be repaired in P.V. by myself and Hank from Rhine West, who is here with me.

Tricepilot will press on after rest. Viva Mexico!

Tengo dolor en mi tobillo, rodilla, y muneca izquierda

My gear saved my life. Do NOT ride in jeans and a t shirt.

Kevlar mesh jacket, pants, and BOOTS!!!! Buy the best boots you can.

If you are following me on my SPOT, you should see where the accident happened. I will wrench the bike back into ridable condition this weekend here in Puerto Vallarta.

I will remove the broken parts of the bike and duct tape the beast, and ride on.

Yes, I have photos of the whole event. You must wait until I return to home, however.

The scenery between Guadalajara and P.V. is incredible.

Ride your own pace.

If I cannot fix the bike, I will fly home from P.V. and ship the bike.

Thank you all for being my friends, your support means a lot.

Bob

Oops.....Glad to hear you are OK. You are in good hands with Hank! Suerte.

Back