• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Michelin Road 5

Anyone try them yet? Thoughts?

Mounting a set soon, picked them up on Tuesday at my monthly Cycle Gear bike night.. I'm pretty happy with the PR3's, just as happy with the 4's I've been though on two sets now, time will tell if I like the 5s

Mounting a set soon, picked them up on Tuesday at my monthly Cycle Gear bike night.. I'm pretty happy with the PR3's, just as happy with the 4's I've been though on two sets now, time will tell if I like the 5s
The PR4 has been great, but gets a little squirmy when pushing hard in corners. Hoping the R5 has a little more to give in terms of cornering grip. Also considering going back to the 2CT, probably my favorite tire ever, but would get chewed up quickly on my heavy bike.

I learned my lesson on tires over the last few years. I put a set of PR3 trails on my 09 DL1000 and they were great no matter the season. Hot, cold, wet...they were always predictable and steady. When they were toast, I tried a set of Avon Storm 3Ds. They were just OK in normal weather and unbelievably slick in wet. I threw them in the dumpster at 1800 miles and went with PR4 trails. They performed admirably, like every Michelin seems to.

Now I have a DL1000A and it's time to trash the mediocre Bridgestones it came with. I've been waiting to see PR5 trail review, but may just buy a set anyway.

I, too, have a long love affair with Michelin. Pilot Powers have been on my bikes for many years. As you said, smooth, predictable, and consistent in any condition.

The one small exception to that has been the PR4 when leaned over and pushed a bit hard. I just can't seem to get a feel for what that back tire is doing. Could be the bike. Hopefully I'll find it was the tire after I try the Road5.

Those Connies are a big scooter to lay over coming in and drive hard out going out. They curb at something over 650 pounds don't they?

It is a big bike. I probably have expectations way too high for a bike this size, but once underway it become nimble enough that it's easy to forget how much it weighs. I've only put about 5000 miles on this bike, and it might be that it's just something that I need to get used to. Or heaven forbid, dial it down a notch or two. ;)

I think as you put more miles on it you will get used to the "feel". I think the rear grip will always be a bit vague comparatively speaking, but you will get used to it. In my experience with PR3 and PR4 trails on a strom, the rear will slide, but in a very controlled and predictable manner.

I, too, have a long love affair with Michelin. Pilot Powers have been on my bikes for many years. As you said, smooth, predictable, and consistent in any condition.

The one small exception to that has been the PR4 when leaned over and pushed a bit hard. I just can't seem to get a feel for what that back tire is doing. Could be the bike. Hopefully I'll find it was the tire after I try the Road5.

Don't they have a GT version of the PR for the bigger sport touring and touring bikes? Bit stiffer carcass to support the weight better.

Don't they have a GT version of the PR for the bigger sport touring and touring bikes? Bit stiffer carcass to support the weight better.
Pretty sure that's what I have. I'll double check when I get home.

Yes, I have the GT version. Overall it's been a very decent tire. Unfortunately I pickup up a nail on my last trip to Arkansas. I've been riding it around a little here and there with a plug, but I'm not comfortable taking longer trips with it like

From what I'm readying the R5 will be very similar to the PR4, but better: a great touring tire with very respectable longevity, but with more to give in the sport department when hitting the crooked roads.

I've been using PRs for several years, mainly on R1100s and R1150s of various models. I'm sold on them, the only niggling complaint I have is that they make some noise. The first set I had was on an R1100RS, mounted them and made a 7000 mile trip, and then got about 10000 MORE miles out of them.

Been using the PR series from the start . Great tire . I just put a PR5 on my wife's Bandit /
The new 5 is pretty light coming in @13 lb 5 OZ in a 180/55/17 size , and the land sea ratio on the side is more land now . Very soft sides . 1st ride it feels nice . The Pilot power 2CT I took off her bike was 13 lb even with 1 mm left to wear bar . Typically the pilot road
4 was a 15 plus pound tire in the non GT spec .

The PR4 has been great, but gets a little squirmy when pushing hard in corners.
Looks like Michelin took this common PR4 complaint to task and reduced the (IMHO rather excessive) siping, especially on the shoulders to stiffen up the tread blocks.

Looks like Michelin took this common PR4 complaint to task and reduced the (IMHO rather excessive) siping, especially on the shoulders to stiffen up the tread blocks.

That's what I'm reading as well. Unfortunately I'll have to wait until sometime in 2019 for the GT version. I might try a set of Angel GT's in the meantime.

Trying something new.

Should have them mounted this weekend, just in time for the TWT Fall Rally in NW Ark.

HH277PM.jpg

4 words---I AM NOT IMPRESSED

Right now we have 2 sets of Michelin Road 5 Trails on 2 DL650's. One bike is a 2012 and the other is a 2014. Just finished 3 weeks and 5700 miles from Houston to Alberta Canada. Rode in rain, sleet, freezing rain, snow, heat and wind. Mountain roads, dirt/gravel roads, straight roads, concrete, asphalt, grooved and ungrooved. 0 MPH to 90 MPH. The first day from Waco to Lubbock we had significant rain. They definitely didn't stick like the 4's or 5's.

Background....we had PR4 Trails on both bikes before embarking on this trip. Had PR3 Trails on my DL1000 before getting the new bike. I am not at all satisfied these are any sort of improvement from the PR4's. The PR4's were rock solid. They went 10,000+ miles in similar conditions. These PR5's are squirrely for some reason. Patrick and crew at Motorcycle's Unlimited mounted them. There's no issue with the mounting or the balance. I never ever felt 100% confident in the mountains on the 5's. Something about them just didn't feel right in the curves. This is exactly the opposite of the 3's and 4's. I never once felt like they were dangerous (bad word, but it's all i could come up with right now). The 5's wobbled and shimmied periodically at weird times under various conditions.

We're taking the bikes in next weekend to get the post trip check-out. I'm going to discuss with the MU crew their thoughts. But right now I'm tempted to take them off the bikes and put something else on and just chunk these in the recycle pile. If I could get PR4 Trails I would go back to them in a heartbeat.

I'm happy to answer questions if anyone has any.

Back