• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Mid July 1 week trip suggestions

jbh

Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Last Name
Henderson
I had originally planned to attend the Top of the Rockies rally in Paonia Colroado the 3rd week in July but work got in the way and I can't take that week off. Now I hope to be able to take the week after the 4th of July off and take a motorcycle trip. For the last 5 years I have gone to Colorado/New Mexico and spent a week riding out there which is always great, and I will probably do it again this year but I wanted to weight some other options I have never done. I do dislike the heat quite a lot and humidity too, I am looking to escape the heat so I am not sure the following options would really be a good idea. I do have a trailer and I plan to trailer the bike to the destination and skip flattening my tires through Texas, plus the car has nice AC. I can run around the area and stay in different hotels on the bike. Bike is a sport touring bike (BMW R1200RS), pavement only for this trip.

1. Go east and hit the smoky mountains area. I have never been and have wanted to go there. I have been to NW Arkansas many times so I figure the smokies may be like NW Arkansas on steroids. But I am worried about how hot it will be in mid July out there, I don't like much over 85 degrees on the bike and certainly don't like humidity or 90 degrees. I feel like maybe I should try this trip next year in May/June or September.

2. Canyon Parks in Utah. I have always wanted to see Zion and Bryce Canyon parks. I do realize they will be very busy. Aside from the parks is there enough riding to keep me entertained for a week? I know it will not be humid but again the heat may be a deal killer. Again maybe hit this up a few months earlier or later next year.

3. Head back to Colorado. I love Colorado, have been going there for many many years. I have been around the SW part of Colorado many times on the bike, also Leadville area ect. I also did areas around Estes Park and Winter Park one year north of the interstate and that was good as well. I have done the big signature roads many times, but they are always fun. Last year when I was there at the rally in Paonia Colorado it was really really hot, about 95 degrees so I felt a little cheated on my cool weather escape lol.

Any input on the smokies or Utah? My gut says Colorado for this time of year. This is the only full week I can schedule this year, will still have some fall/spring hill country and Arkansas trips of course. Next summer I should have more flexibility in my week.

We went to Cherokee, NC in August and the weather was nice. There are a ton of roads to ride in the area!

That’s good to know. I will probably watch the weather and make a last minute call.

Back