• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Minimalist’s ride through Mexico.

Day 8.

Across the way was the police office. They had some old and new transportation out front.
IMG_1460.jpg

I smile every time I see this picture. Great juxtaposition!

Day 10

Unfortunately, my trip was coming to and end. I had two days to get back across the border. It was back into the mountains from Jalpan. My goal was to reach Ciudad Victoria by dark. It was about 250 miles away.
IMG_1507.jpg

IMG_1508.jpg

I was all smiles on these great roads!
IMG_1510.jpg

I did make a 10 mile detour at Xilitla to see the crazy garden “Las Pozas”. The gardens were made in the 60’s and 70’s by an eccentric English man. He was an orchid grower until a freak snowfall killed his collection. He got out of orchids and into concrete.

I spent about two hours at the gardens. I think the pictures will speak for themselves.
IMG_1522.jpg

IMG_1525.jpg

IMG_1526.jpg

IMG_1517.jpg

IMG_1520.jpg

IMG_1516.jpg

IMG_1514.jpg

IMG_1511.jpg

I have seen some crazy tourist destinations in my travels, but this one is truly unique! It is one of thoes "you have to see it to believe it" type places.

After the gardens, I took Mex 85 north. It was a nice piece of pavement, but not as twisty as yesterdays ride.
IMG_1528.jpg

I got to Ciudad Victoria at dusk and got a room for the night. I talked to the hotel owner for a half hour about my trip. He was very excited to tell me about his country, and places I needed to go on my next trip. Very nice folks here!

Day 11

I woke up early today. I was sad to be leaving Mexico. At the same time, it sure was good to be going home! I apologize for the lack of pictures from today.

I went to the bank to pay my tourist visa. You have to pay this at any bank before your time expires and before you leave the country. I sat at the bank until 9:15 and they weren’t opening. It then dawned on me….it was Dia de Guadalupe! It will not be easy paying the visa today….crud!

My bike was as I left it, in the lobby. My little ninja sure is going to miss this special treatment!
IMG_1529.jpg

The lion held my helmet while loaded up. The hotel owner was there and gave me a hand pushing the bike out, even though it was not necessary. Again, there are very nice folks down here! He said in English “GUD LUKE” that I took as “Good luck”.
IMG_1530.jpg

I zipped up Mex 85 to the mega mess of Monterrey. I had plans of skirting around Monterrey, but ended up in the middle of it. I found toll road 85 that was going to take me home!

I filled up the tank, and was ready to fly. Once out of traffic and on the smooth toll way I opened the throttle 100 percent. I had it set on 95MPH indicated (all she would do at this elevation, and about 85 MPH actual speed).

As my trip odometer showed I had 140 miles on the tank of gas, she started sputtering. In disbelief I switched to reserve. I guess running all out with the tach set at 11grand will do that. Normally I get 230 miles to a tank.

Crossing was a bit of a pain, due to my procrastination of paying my visa. I went to the same office where I got stamped in the previous week. It took waiting in 2 lines and talking to 5 different people to get the visa paid and stamped, but it was done! Getting my motorcycle importation canceled was easier and done at the same location.

I sat on the bride among a sea of idling cars in the dark for over an hour. I was waiting my turn to clear the US side customs. Once I finally got my turn, I pulled up the gate and shut off the bike. The agent was very friendly and seemed interested in my trip. He asked a few standard questions and I was cleared.

I went to retrieve my truck from Oscar’s (scar04) drive way.

Before I had left home my girlfriend, family, and friends though I was crazy to leave my truck with some one I had never met. When I told them I gave him a key they really flipped!

Motorcycle folks are pretty good folks and Oscar fits this category. Even the Harley riders are good folks, and Oscar had 3 nice ones in the garage that are shared between him and his father.

IMG_1531.jpg

He was nice enough to take me to one of his favorite restaurants around the corner. We spent an hour talking, eating, and having a beer. He even picked up the tab!

Oscar – when you are up this way, let me know! Or maybe I’ll catch you at a pie run!

I had to get on the road. I was headed to Dallas via Houston. My little sister was graduating from a masters program to be a physician’s assistant the following day.

After dinner, coffee, and loading my bike, I got on my way. I made it half way when I started fading. I got a flea bag motel, a true Texan beer, and went to sleep.
IMG_1532.jpg

Day 12

The following morning I made it to Houston, spent some time with my sister and other family that was down. We got to see her walk the stage that evening.

CONGRATS SISTER!!! I'm proud of ya!
01212.jpg

CLOSING:

Mexico is a great place for a ride! There are plenty of attractions, great roads, and most importantly very nice people. To quote “AusFletch” from TWTex.com, "The distance-to-adventure ratio is highly favorable". For us Texans, this holds true.

Anyone can do this trip. Fluent Spanish, a fifteen thousand dollar motorcycle, and a wad of cash are NOT required to cross the border.

While I speak a good amount of Spanish, I could have passed fine with a pocket dictionary. I do recomend learning a few key phraes. A little effort goes a long way.

My Ninja 250 handled the trip fine. It cost me $2200 used. It made the trip more enjoyable by not having to worry about it getting stolen. Also, it is just a FUN, dependable, and capable bike!

I lived pretty large on $550 for 11 days. This included everything purchased from the the campsite in Laredo until I crossed back into Texas.

$22 per hotel / camp site X 11 = $244
$ 8 daily food = $88
$65 on toll roads / tunnels = $65
$45 on visa and bike import = $45
$35 on entry fees to sites = $35
$ 3 daily beer allowance = $33
$ 2 daily bottle water = $22
$18 miscellaneous (more beer) = $18

Hotels and toll roads were the only thing I could have skimped on. The hotels were chosen with security of the motorcycle in mind, thus raising the cost. I wouldn’t recommend skimping on any of the other expenses or you will not get the full experience.

Time, while handy, is also not needed to get a taste of Mexico. It is very possible to zip down to Saltillo and or Real de Catorce in a 3 or 4 day weekend (from the border). Be careful though, you may get addicted to riding in Mexico.

The best result of this trip was my family and friends reading this report. My mother, other family, and friends always worry about me when I go traveling abroad every year. After my mother read this, she commented over Christmas dinner, that she gained more understanding of why I go the places I go. She commented that she wished she could have been to some of the places I saw and experienced some of the things I did. This means alot to me.

What’s next? I am off to Thailand for a month Jan 15th. I may rent a motorcycle for a few days and will be sure to report back.

Thanks for reading! Let me know if anyone has any questions. I would love to answer any that may help you make a trip of your own! Ohh, and……

HEY KAWASAKI! DO YOU WANT TO GIVE ME ONE OF THE NEW 2008 NINJA 250’s? I would take it to the Panama Canal and back for ya - free of charge! I’d give it back when done (maybe), and I would work on my spelling and write a real proper report about it!

Thanks!

An excellent report, Jeff! I thoroughly enjoyed your 'take' on all the sites and the final summation of your trip was a great addition too. :clap:

Can't wait for the report on your Thai adventure :sun: :zen:

Ya know, $550 for an 11 day trip ANYWHERE is pretty inexpensive. :thumb:

Great report, Jeff. :clap:

Ya know, $550 for an 11 day trip ANYWHERE is pretty inexpensive. :thumb:

That IS my beer budget for an 11 day trip. :chug: Okay, maybe a 7 day trip. :trust:

Great trip and great report, Jeff. :clap: You have captured the spirit of what draws me to travel and are an inspiration. -FLETCH

Enjoyed your trip report a lot Jeff. It certainly remind us of what riding is all about, it doesn't take a fancy motorcycle or a lot of gear to enjoy the ride.

Day 12

The following morning I made it to Houston, spent some time with my sister and other family that was down. We got to see her walk the stage that evening.

01212.jpg

Great trip report, but on the last few post, I can't see the pictures. HELP!

Again, great report, Jeff. Thanks for posting. I, too, am addicted to riding in Mexico. It is a great place.

Great report Jeff. What did youuse to decipher what you were eating? My geography teacher gave me a cool book about mexican food.

Day 12

01212.jpg

So was that college graduation? She looks nice. Can we fix her up with my 23-yr. old son? He's handsome, blonde/blue, and finishing up a Master's before he goes back to the Army :)

Great report, Jeff. Maybe next winter I'll go to mexico.

So was that college graduation? She looks nice. Can we fix her up with my 23-yr. old son? He's handsome, blonde/blue, and finishing up a Master's before he goes back to the Army :)

I wondered how long it would be before someone would have to bring something like that up. :argh:

01212.jpg

I think the family resemblance is obvious. :thumb:

I, too, have a 23 year old that I would love to have out of the house. However, I think his hair is longer than your sisters... :roll:

:lol2:

Yep, my sis, mom, and I all look alike. Its not all bad!

Sister has been happily married for 3 years now, so back off! ;-)

Tell your 23 year old sons to head down to Mexico. There are plenty of Latinas that prefer gringos. Mexico is where I would be looking if I was single. Latin women are beautiful. I am lucky; my gringa girlfriend of 4 years is very understanding. She will throw on some big hoop earrings for the Latina look for me sometimes. She is truly the best! :sun:

Chuck, don't worry about us "long hairs". My hair is the shortest it has been since I was 16, and I made it! :lol2:

Wow. Sis got the looks and the brains! :-P I love your report, I long for the day that I can take a trip like that.

Outstanding report and enviable ride. I'd really like to get your take (offline) on a 4 day trip into Mexico. I'm just not fortunate enough to be able to take 10+ days at a time.

I'm over in Plano, but work in Lewisville if you ever have time to grab a meal (on me of course). For that kind of $$, I'd be willing to pay your way for the guide! :rider:

Big Ron,
I am always up for meeting new ppl for lunch / coffee. I'll P.M. ya.

If anyone wants to borrow the folding map, Mex atlas, or Lonelyplanet Mexico just let me know! I won't be needing them until next December.

Back