• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

mom approaching end

• Thread starter Deleted member 23845
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 23845

All,

My 96 year old mother living in Durango, CO is approaching her end. She has been in assisted living over 4 years, and latest medical exam was pretty grim. We are having an exam next week to qualify her for hospice in place. I manage her affairs from a distance here in Sugar Land. Anyway, prayers please for my mom--she is a brave one, but her body and mind are giving up. She also is nearly blind and deaf, and down to 85 pounds, and can barely walk with assistance.

I am trying to get the manager of the assisted living place to weigh in with her opinion, and also mom's primary care physician to do an exam. After that, if they both support hospice in place, I will approve that change. I am praying for their participation and communication.

Mom used to love to ride our Honda MT 50s at our cabin in San Juan county. She also let us have motorcycles, snowmobiles and never gave us the big fear message about them. So yeah....

I'm very sorry to hear that. My mother passed just over a week ago. She made the decision that it was time to go and the hospice nurse removed the oxygen. It was tough to endure, but she's out of her pain now. My thoughts are with you as you face this transition.

How do you say good bye to a loved one? We just know it is a part of life and accept it as it is. Its is still hard to take as we all know. Hang in there lucydad

Prayers said from several states away. Comfort for you, and for wisdom and caring from the involved professionals. I hope you are able to make it to Colorado and spend a little time with her while she is still here.

Good luck with whatever choices are made. It can be a hard one, but the right one for hospice. Allow for some dignity for her and also the family.
Must be hard being so far away from her with all this.

Prayers for her and the family at this time.

Sorry to know your Mom's not doing well.

It's a hard decision but one we have to face and do what is best for our loved ones. Hope you and Mom have peace.

Prayers up.

Hospice are wonderful people who care not only for their patients but also for the families effected. Their services are far more encompassing than simply dealing with end of life comfort. Chances are, you have a Hospice organization near you. Look them up. Call them and arrange a time to visit with them. Go by and pickup some of their guides. One in particular seemed comforting to me - called "Gone From My Sight." They have many others and each one probably resonates differently with folks in different situations. They also facilitate group sessions for people in every stage of bereavement. This is what they do every day and they're very good at it. There is no cost to you for any of this. You do not have to hack through this alone.

I will second RG's thoughts. My father recently passed from a long illness. We used Hospice and he was able to pass in his own house, which was his final wish as far as that was concerned.

In a situation where a loved one is at the end-of-life scenario, Hospice is a wonderful thing.

I will second RG's thoughts. My father recently passed from a long illness. We used Hospice and he was able to pass in his own house, which was his final wish as far as that was concerned.

In a situation where a loved one is at the end-of-life scenario, Hospice is a wonderful thing.

I totally agree, home gives peace. If this is possible, and it is not always because it requires a lot of family and friends helping. We did it for six months with my mother, it was hard on everyone and at the last had to use in-home care for 12-15 hours a day at two to three hundred dollars a day. Hospice just comes by weekly to administer pharmacy and help with things like hospital bed and gowns and such. They are sincerely so helpful.There are ways to get in-home care from Medicare or Medicaid, I believe Hospice is paid by Medicare and Medicaid.
The body going to rest is simple and just as natural as being born, but doing it on your own terms can be a battle, one that can be won.
I looked it up Hospice is a Medicare benefit we paid taxes for.

Last edited:
Prayers for what you are going through. I miss both my parents everyday but I know they are together again and are without pain.

Hospice are wonderful people who care not only for their patients but also for the families effected. Their services are far more encompassing than simply dealing with end of life comfort. Chances are, you have a Hospice organization near you. Look them up. Call them and arrange a time to visit with them. Go by and pickup some of their guides. One in particular seemed comforting to me - called "Gone From My Sight." They have many others and each one probably resonates differently with folks in different situations. They also facilitate group sessions for people in every stage of bereavement. This is what they do every day and they're very good at it. There is no cost to you for any of this. You do not have to hack through this alone.
This is good advice...
Prayers for what you are going through. I miss both my parents everyday but I know they are together again and are without pain.

Prayers from our house, as well......

Yet another endorsement of Hospice Care from a family member here - it was a huge help in every respect (physical and emotional) for everyone when my father's end of life occurred, by his choice at home where he was most comfortable, and also for my Uncle at a care facility where he'd been for awhile.

No one must feel 'alone and unguided' through end of life - there are tremendously skilled and compassionate folks available to support all family members. Cost is a zero factor, it's free, getting that factor 'off the table' is only a small, but meaningful, part of the benefit.

Hoping strength and comfort for all of Lucydad's family through this difficult time, you have my love and empathy.

Last edited:
Lost my mom 2 years ago on Easter morning. Hospice is the greatest help. Prayer's for her and you.

Prayers for your mother and all who will grieve her loss.

Prayers of comfort for you and your mom and blessings to you for lovingly taking care of her.

I've missed noticing dates of online things as well, but must chime in with another endorsement for hospice folks.
They're often tagged Earth Angels and I'll not argue that.

Back