• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Montana 2015 - A different look at it

Well, somewhere about lunchtime Camilo mentions that he forgot one of his prescriptions, but he called and the Walgreens in Las Vegas, NM will have it waiting for him. So, no problem, right? Yeah, we made good time to LV, checked into the hotel and headed for Walgreens. Then Debbie does the earlier mentioned tuck and roll when her downhill foot misses the ground. Then Camilo finds out the pharmacy part of the store closed a couple of hours before and he can't get his prescription until 10am the next morning. Well, that isn't going to happen. So, the next to cities of any size on our route are Taos and Pagosa Springs. PS doesn't have a Walgreens so that is out. Taos pharmacy doesn't open until 10am and it is only 61 miles as a crow files from LV. So that was out in my opinion. Time for our first route change. Durango instead of the Creede/Lake City side of the mountains. Oh, my first picture of the trip. Spank on Debbie's bike.

DSC01046-L.jpg

Yes, he needs to tuck that tail in. Wife pointed that out. She needs to get her mind out of the gutter. :-)

Back on topic, off to Taos. Of course curvy mountain roads take longer that going as the crow flies. As we roll past the Walgreens in Taos, i notice it is 10:01am. No big deal, Camilo has the prescription set up in Durango so we keep rolling. Next stop is the bridge over the Rio Grande gorge.

IMD_0282-L.jpg

IMD_0288-L.jpg

IMD_0291-L.jpg

IMD_0294-L.jpg

Our steeds for the trip:

IMD_0298-L.jpg

From there we continue west towards lunch in Chama, but we had some fun in some more mountains and had to stop for more pictures. Bike portraits, never can have too many of those.

IMD_0302-L.jpg

I asked her if she was smiling and she said yes. I'll take it on faith. :rofl:

IMD_0305-L.jpg

IMD_0307-L.jpg

So on to Chama and lunch at my usual place, the Elk Horn restaurant. Camilo double checked the Walgreens in Durango, but the pharmacy wasn't answering. Ever get that sinking feeling in your gut? Yep, Nadeem called the front desk and the pharmacist had a family emergency and went home. :headbang: Well, just five minutes before that we had booked sites at the Ouray KOA. So we stuck with that plan instead of getting back on the main route. Off to Durango. As we pulled into town, Camilo says he wants to try the Walmart pharmacy. Yay, they can do it...in 30 minutes. We split up at that point and Scott, Debbie and I put on rain gear and head north. Yep, and we needed it right as we left Durango. We stop at the top of Molas Pass and I get a text from Donnie saying he has a rear seal leak and is turning back, trip over for him. Very sad to hear that, but it sounds bad. For some reason I didn't pull a camera out on Molas Pass. Scott and Debbie will have that covered. There were many pictures of Spank the monkey taken.

Apparently during Spank's photo shoot, Camilo and Nadeem passed us because they were checking into the KOA when we got there...with Donnie. Hey, thought you turned back? We, he had, but was far enough out in front that we met at the same place. He saw from our Spot tracking that we were headed there.

20150719_192425-L.jpg

Bike consultation:

IMD_0315-L.jpg

IMD_0320-L.jpg

Nice campsite. Some of us went back into Ouray for a beer and a good dinner. Nadeem stayed back with Donnie to commiserate about his bike. That and some Jack Honey, which they did major damage to.

I'll pick up with the next day in my next post.

Okay, so morning brings a semi-lazy start. I've spent a lot of time over the years in Ouray and was just there a month ago. So we went into town for breakfast and coffee while the tents dried. Fed and loaded up, we said goodbye to Donnie as he headed off for Raton and his truck. We started north, basically a little more than a half day behind my original plan. However, we'd had fun getting there and were all in good health and spirits. Well, except for Donnie. We should have been camping in the Bridger-Teton national forest that night, but the campgrounds are first come, first served and there was no way we'd get there in time. In fact, I doubted we'd get close to that far. I set Green River/Rock Springs north of the Flaming Gorge as a good target. So, off like a herd of turtles we went. The run from Loma, just west of Grand Junction, to Rangely has a nice little pass you go through. Just plain fun. And as it turned out, the only fun road for the day.

DSC01048-L.jpg

The crew on the pass:

DSC01063-L.jpg

Thanks to a good breakfast, we kind of snacked all day on what we were carrying. At Rangely we headed west, dodging rain, towards Vernal. We hit Vernal around 4pm, gassed up then hit a Subway for a late lunch. It was right next to a hotel. Debbie commented that we wouldn't have to go far after eating. I was glad to hear that since I was about ready to stop too. This sentiment was echoed by others as we ate. Combined with good storms to the north of us in the Flaming Gorge area we decided to call it a day and save the scenery for a nice day.

There was an early morning shower that washed the bikes and then cleared out.

IMD_0327-L.jpg

Guess which bike had a cover:

IMD_0328-L.jpg

So, off we go...for a mile. Where's Camilo? Oh, left his wallet behind. So we waited.

IMD_0334-L.jpg

Turns out he only left it in his other pocket, not the hotel.

Then it was my turn. Lampf! message on the display. Usually just means low beam burned out, but thanks to soft connectors to the bulb it can sometimes work loose and generate heat. If not caught, melted wiring. In my case it only cooked half the socket with the connectors. A little crimping, slicing and dicing and back on the road. No issues for the rest of the trip.

The view of the Flaming Gorge is nice from the west side road. You come around a corner and there it is. Kind of like the deer I kept chasing off the road for everybody behind me. :eek2:

IMD_0351-HDR-L.jpg

IMD_0341-Pano-L.jpg

And the gang, courtesy of a self timer and convenient rock.

IMD_0359-L.jpg

Nadeem worked the web on his phone in Rock Springs and found something with good reviews. It was a quirky place, but not bad.

IMD_0368-L.jpg

Tech means no conversation...

IMD_0370-L.jpg

Mirror fun:

IMD_0373-L.jpg

So, we realized that getting to the campsite was going to be dicy. I'd already told Thomas we'd be in one and he was on dirt roads heading that way to meet us. Nadeem worked the web again and found us two rooms in downtown Jackson for a reasonable rate. Specially since each would be split 3 ways. So, camping is scrubbed. I texted Thomas the hotel name and address and off we go over some very wide open country. Windy, wide open country. I have to inject that when I lead a group, I seldom go more than 5mph over the speed limit. I don't want to get anybody else in trouble. In the wind, we weren't doing that even. Debbie was getting moved around on her smaller bike so I just took it easy. Still we are going gps indicated speed instead of less accurate speedo.

So, gas time in the small town of Pinedale. I thought it would be a short stop, but Scott made a friend, people bought ice cream...I finally took off my helmet and sat down. Then this red GSA with a familiar jacket and helmet went by. Jokingly I said, "look its Donnie". Nadeem says, "Hey, that is Donnie!" Sure enough, he found us again. Turns out the rear seal leak was actually the result of oil in the airbox from a dirt nap the week before. :clap: So that night in Jackson was the first time we were all together.

Our $200 a night room:

IMD_0383-L.jpg

Okay, that was just the $500 a night place next door. :rofl:

Spank getting another picture.

IMD_0377-L.jpg

Actually they gave us covered parking right beneath our rooms.

IMD_0384-L.jpg

Okay, Carolyn, here's your truck.

IMD_0378-L.jpg

Don't cross, crazy people over here!

IMD_0381-L.jpg

Who taught her how to ride a horse? That might explain why her bike is facing the wrong way in the covered parking picture.

IMD_0385-L.jpg

Spent some time in this place and on the deck. Nice view of the square.

IMD_0386-L.jpg

The square:

20150721_174626-L.jpg

And us getting the standard tourist shot. Sans me, the photographer.

IMD_0388-L.jpg

The next few are just painting the town.

IMD_0391-L.jpg

IMD_0392-L.jpg

IMD_0393-L.jpg

IMD_0394-L.jpg

IMD_0407-L.jpg

And speaking of painting, this mural was right next to us. Since our creative juices had been properly lubricated, we had a little fun.

IMD_0395-L.jpg

IMD_0397-L.jpg

IMD_0400-L.jpg

And some street scenes

IMD_0412-L.jpg

I didn't check for Texas plates:

IMD_0413-L.jpg

IMD_0416-L.jpg

Photo processing magic. Not very sharp, but the light was purple from the neon. Got is decent looking decent enough.

IMD_0440-L.jpg

IMD_0446-L.jpg

IMD_0452-L.jpg

And home for the night:

IMD_0456-L.jpg

Okay, enough for now. Next post is Grand Teton NP and Yellowstone NP. Will be picture heavy so take joy those that have struggled through my writing. Your turn is next. :lol2:

Hey Rusty... that tower at the Brewing Co needs anuther sticker....
mabe I can get one up there sometime.

Even more great pics ... most with a story to match!!

Last edited:
Okay, way overdue. Picking up in the morning in Jackson, WY. We head out as one group, but hit the last gas station on the way out of town. At that point we split into two groups. Both have the route and we are going around the east side of the park. Meet up at Canon Lodge (halfway up the east side) around lunch then meet again by the NW entrance and find a campground. There are several commercial and public ones in the area. Sounds simple, right? Yep, start laughing now. I won't call the groups the fast group and the slow group. Let's call them the photography group and the not-photography group. Since Scott and I each hauled way too much camera gear, we are in the former. Debbie flipped a mental coin and decided to hang back with us and see the parks. :lol2: First up was Grand Teton National Park. The Grand Tetons were named by some french trappers. Teton is apparently a french word for a certain eye catching part of the female anatomy. The mountains are nice, but I suspect the trappers had been without female companionship for too long.

Simple picture:

IMD_0469-HDR-L.jpg

If you want to see a monster version of that, five photos stitched together, click this link. Hope you have a big monitor.

https://woodbutcher.smugmug.com/Mot...y-in-Billings/i-2NmdCkW/0/O/IMD_0472-Pano.jpg

Played a bit with HDR shots and relections

IMD_0483-HDR-L.jpg

A little reframing to add perspective:

IMD_0486-L.jpg

Lewis Falls in the park. Not a large fall, but pretty.

IMD_0497-L.jpg

And where is flows:

IMD_0499-L.jpg

And Bison time. I'm an old school guy. For most of the ride Debbie had been bringing up the rear so she could video and also have a comfortable distances. I asked her to move to the middle of the group and if (well, when) we went by close buffalo to stay on my side away from the buffalo. That way my big bike could shield her if things went south. Yep, that's the way I was raised. Or that's what I told her. My secret plan was to ditch my bike and while the buffalo had its way with it, I'd dive onto to the back of hers and escape to safety :duck: Okay, being serious though, a beast that big, close to us with only riding gear is a scary proposition. After seeing our first bison in a field, we stopped at a mud pit/geyser. We were warned by others that the bison up the road were rutting...in the road. :eek2: Hence the safety discussion amongst ourselves. Debbie has some helmet cam of it that I hope she'll add to the thread. More further on.

I hauled a 150-500mm lens with me for "just in case". First bison we saw fit the bill. Tore open the top box and rearranged to I could use it easier later in the day too.

IMD_0504-L.jpg

Kicking up some dust:

IMD_0507-L.jpg

Just wants a belly rub:

IMD_0508-L.jpg

Now I'm going to run a hundred yards towards that guy two hundred yards away and scare him. Yeah, right.

IMD_0512-L.jpg

The mud pot

IMD_0521-L.jpg

Bison all spread out

IMD_0527-L.jpg

IMD_0529-L.jpg

IMD_0530-L.jpg

This is looking back at the fun, but as we approached that area, cars were stopped, there were rangers trying to get the cars to keep moving (yea rangers) and a Park Ranger EMS vehicle :eek2: Dude in front of us stopped...just as a big male bison started kicking up dust and charging another one. They ran through the small herd scattering them. That'll get the adrenaline flowing, for us and them. That's what Debbie has on her helmet.

IMD_0535-L.jpg

This is a male and female. He kept trying to keep her from going back to the herd. Kind of reminds me of when I was single and went to bars. Not me of course, but as a keen observer of the human race, I'd seen that behavior before. :ponder:

IMD_0538-L.jpg

So, we finally got to the Canon Lodge visitor center. As we got some sandwiches from the general store, I texted the other group. Camilo answered that they were at the Terrace Grill. I saw a sign for the grill, so we sat outside to eat and then waited. After a bit we wandered over. It wasn't called the terrace grill. It was the Canon grill. Hmmm. My pea brain was starting to reach some bad conclusions. I ask Camilo where they were. He had to ask. Turns out there were all the way up at the NW entrance. Okay, I'm a flexible guy. Not what I expected, but since they are there they can search for a campground. So that is what I asked them to do. Unfortunately those were vague instructions and being the creative guys they are, they found a place...in Red Lodge. 3.5 hours away from both groups, over the Beartooth Highway, with rainstorms in the area, at 2:30pm in the afternoon. Oops, this leading from behind is not my forte, I guess.

Time to beat feet and the cameras got put away. We met them at the campground, about 15 minutes behind, I think. Based on the two stops (one over 20 minutes) we could have beat them. But then no marmot and chipmunk pictures.

IMD_0552-L.jpg

IMD_0564-L.jpg

Scott taking his version of above. What was funny was that he kept trying to creep closer, hoping not to scare it. Meanwhile, 20 yards away some kids were hand feeding them :lol2:

IMD_0566-L.jpg

The crew at the Red Lodge KOA and our home away from home for a night.

IMD_0577-L.jpg

IMD_0582-L.jpg

And provisions.

IMD_0578-L.jpg

Last edited:
Next up, The BMW rally and then off to Ten Sleep Wyoming and some beer and friends. Well, even better, friends that make beer. Good beer.

Nice report we were in Yellowstone on a family vacation when ya'll came through.

I saw the big blue truck while eating ice cream at the Canyon store in the park.

talked to a lot of riders headed to the rally, I kept looking for TWT stickers but never saw ya'll.

Those bison are immense critters. In Yellowstone one was browsing around right next to the road and sort of wandering the direction I was riding. Cars were slowing and just about stopping so I had a full plate keeping track of traffic in front, and especially traffic behind since I knew they were looking at the animal and not my bike. As I made it alongside the beast he pick up his pace to match mine and was watching the bike. His hump was higher than my helmet and I had no escape routes other than the shoulder on my side if he veered in on me. Spooky experience. He settled down and went back to a slow walk thankfully. From 25 feet away they are huge.

I spent the last 2 weeks in Montana. Wish I'd been checking here. I heard about your trip yesterday when I stopped for the night at Ten Sleep. I spent a 5 days in West Glacier, 4 days near Missoula, 3 days at Red Lodge, and a night at Ten Sleep. Camped near Grand Lake CO now. The fire in Glacier by St. Mary started the day we checked into W. Glacier.

Those bison are immense critters.

Indeed! I camped out at Caprock earlier this summer - woke early to get on the road before it got too hot, but got stuck in this traffic jam:

_7050801.jpg

_7050794.jpg

Took about 20 minutes before they trotted off enough to let me squeeze through.

Rusty - thanks for posting the photos and ride log. I did a fair number of those same roads a couple years ago, and it's great to re-live that again though your write up!

I find it interesting how many folks have made the stop in Ten Sleep. Dirtryder was there a few days before we were.

Okay, let's see if I can wrap this up. This will be from the rally. It was less then an hour from Red Lodge to Billings and other than a little construction with dirt and mud, there was nothing interesting about the ride. Straight and flat.

We checked in and set up our tents in the back 40. All alone at the time. Half the group asked me why I picked the back 40 and the other half thanked me for staying away from the crowded infield. Yeah, I'm a bit anti-social sometimes. Or maybe just anti-crowds. For some reason I didn't take pictures of camp. So, on to the rally itself. If you needed tires for the trip home, you were covered.

IMD_0587-L.jpg

Pannier drum set:

IMD_0593-L.jpg

Debbie's new seat. Her old one was just a dished out stock seat. This was from Seat Concepts and is their low version. The foam was better than the stock. After a couple of hard days riding she said she had hoped for more, but it was better than what she had. I'll be interested to see what she thinks after a couple thousand miles.

IMD_0594-L.jpg

Okay, this fly was bugging me so I shot it. :lol2: Boredom in the late afternoon while drinking beer. :shrug:

IMD_0605-L.jpg

K1600's on display.

IMD_0611-L.jpg

Daniel and the Blonde was the band name. I'm guessing he's Daniel.

IMD_0614-L.jpg

UFO?

IMD_0639-L.jpg

Ah no, just a man with a toy.

IMD_0642-L.jpg

Interesting choice of campsites there Ron and Steve.

IMD_0644-L.jpg

Okay, that evening was a treat from a sunset point of view. We had a front blow through and before and after we had light bouncing off of clouds, cliffs and clouds again. I'll just post all. Some of these are towards the sun and some facing away.

IMD_0650-HDR-L.jpg

IMD_0674-HDR-L.jpg

IMD_0676-L.jpg

IMD_0693-Pano-L.jpg

IMD_0702-L.jpg

Okay, being silly with the monkey. Debbie's headlamp had a blue led so I tried to get a low light picture.

IMD_0707-L.jpg

Where we chose not to set up our tents.

IMD_0708-L.jpg

Didn't have the heart to tell him they weren't real.

IMD_0712-L.jpg

The GS and GSA bikes just keep getting more popular. The next series are from the practice sessions for the GS Giants competition. Nothing difficult on a full dirt bike, but do it on a big heavy bike and it gets interesting. There were several girls riding too.

IMD_0727-L.jpg

IMD_0730-L.jpg

IMD_0732-L.jpg

IMD_0737-L.jpg

IMD_0738-L.jpg

IMD_0810-L.jpg

Next post will be Ten Sleep then I'll bring it all home after that one.

...what 'da mean they weren't real?

Hey - anything for the shot, right? :photo:

Nice stuff, Rusty. :clap:

Okay. Here's one of my regrets from the trip. I didn't mind splitting up going through Yellowstone, but we ended up with conflicting goals/desires. Not a big deal. I had really hoped to visit Justin (coolhand) at his family brewery in Ten Sleep and most of us wanted to do that, but we had planned on hitting it on Saturday after two days at the rally. Unfortunately Justin was going to be away that day and if we were to catch him, that meant seeing him and his family on Friday. There was still stuff at the rally I wanted to see, but seeing an old friend was high on my list. So we had a discussion and decided to split up for a day or so and met up on the way south. Scott and I really wanted to see Justin. Thomas wanted to hit seminars. Nadeem had test rides on the brain. Donnie was having fun hanging out and visiting with other TWT folks up there. Camilo was up for one more day of the rally, but was torn about coming with us. Debbie decided to stick with Scott and I.

Tearing down our tents in the morning we got a hint of the weather we were going to have that day. Dry. Hot. Maybe windy. Basically not what I'd hoped for in Montana. But it was only a few hours down to Ten Sleep. We opted not to ride the Beartooth again so it was faster.

Hmm, nice buds.

IMD_0815-L.jpg

There was a lady there selling indian fry bread taco and nachos. She makes the fry bread from 30 year old sourdough culture. She also makes the corn tortillas for the chips herself. Along with all the veggies, except tomatoes. Her's weren't ripe yet. We had a couple of beers with them. Well, except Debbie, who doesn't drink much and especially not beer. It was a little warm inside, but fans helped.

IMD_0818-L.jpg

Here's a shot of Justin's dad's glasses on the back of a boat he is restoring.

IMD_0828-L.jpg

Justin took us and the his wife and kids up on top of the cliff over the brewery to get pictures of the sunset. Not a good sunset, but with two guys with cameras, you know pictures are going to get taken. I horned in on Scott doing family shots so this was from the side.

IMD_0857-L.jpg

This is Justin's brother with my long lens. He's about a 1/2 mile away, at dusk. High ISO so it is grainy, but I was impressed I got that. Oh, handheld too.

IMD_0847-L.jpg

IMD_0864-L.jpg

IMD_0869-L.jpg

IMD_0871-L.jpg

That was him coming up the back way to see us. Safety third.

IMD_0876-L.jpg

A big panorama from the cliff:

IMD_0891-Pano-XL.jpg

So, we had a little hill to climb getting out. Justin's 4wd truck took a couple of tries to make it. So he walked back down so Jodi wouldn't have to drive their fairly new Subaru up. Every bailed out of it and ran for cover.

IMD_0901-L.jpg

And the sequence coming up the hill. No problems in the sand.

IMD_0905-L.jpg

IMD_0906-L.jpg

IMD_0907-L.jpg

IMD_0908-L.jpg

IMD_0909-L.jpg

IMD_0910-L.jpg

IMD_0911-L.jpg

IMD_0913-L.jpg

IMD_0914-L.jpg

The next morning we hit the road. At every stop, we checked the other group's Spot trackers. They got a slower start then decided to ride the Beartooth highway and Chief Joseph highway. So we actually pulled away. In Rawlins, Wy, Scott decided to peel off after lunch and head to Denver to meet a friend. He would get back to Austin 3 day after we did. After lunch Debbie and I continued south. I covered the meeting of the minds about speeds, passing and my inner Dave in on of the first posts of this thread. This is where the fun started. We picked up the pace and made it to Glenwood Springs. Last time I was there it was easy to get a hotel. Obviously I was there during tourist season and I didn't know about the hot springs (Debbie, how about chipping in that picture you took?) So, we pull up in front of this cool motel/cabin place I'd stayed before (yep, didn't call ahead. Fatal flaw of mine) and no vacancy. So we started working the web. Debbie started calling places, then I did. My second or third call was to the Starlight Inn. Nestled right in among the chains. Sounded like it might be run down. Nice older lady with a German accent answered. "Do you have any rooms left?" "Yes, one" That's okay, two cheap rooms ideal, but we were getting desperate. "It is two beds?" "Yes, $189, one unit, two rooms, one bed in each, is that okay?" Heck yeah, that works. So I tell her we'll take it and she gets my name. We are only 5 minutes from there and headed right over. We get there and she tells us how lucky we were. She had three people in line wanting a room when I called and I just beat them.

And the room was really nice and modern.

IMD_0915-L.jpg

Decent mexican across the road where I had a large margarita, not bad, not great, but definitely had alcohol in it. After, Debbie suggested a walk. My suspicion is that she wanted me to get it out of my system, but she didn't say. She's polite that way. Anyway, we discovered the huge hot springs pool and watched the swimmers some and saw some neat parts of town. I didn't think to get any pictures. Not sure why. :shrug:

Here is Debbie's picture of the monster pool:

5275-L.jpg

So, this is one of the reasons I like staying in Glenwood Springs. The view to the south.

IMD_0916-L.jpg

Next, final fun road and the grind home.

Last edited:
Our route south could go over Independence Pass or Tennessee Pass. We opted for Independence pass. We'd both done it before, but I like that area by Twin Lakes. We used to cross country ski in that are when I was in high school.

Stopping in Aspen for the videographer to get her camera in place.

DSC01071-L.jpg

Yep, you read that right. For a change we weren't waiting for me or Scott to fiddle with a camera. And yes, somebody has some helmet cam footage that hasn't been posted. PM Snoopster if you want her to post it. :duck: Okay, don't do that, she still thinks I'm an okay person. :lol2:

Top of the pass, obligatory shot.

IMD_0919-L.jpg

Another pano:

IMD_0929-Pano-XL.jpg

Ah ha, that monkey again.

IMD_0938-L.jpg

The road down:

IMD_0939-Pano-XL.jpg

We got behind some slower cars and I was getting tired of passing cars and there were more oncoming ones. Good thing. The law enforcement types were working the Twin Lakes historic district. Not the last time on this trip we would get lucky with me getting lazy with the throttle.

20150726_103613-L.jpg

And I'm just about out of pictures. We ran into a bit of a snag in Colorado when the mount for one of my LED driving lights failed, but I was able to bolt the mount around the cross bar then during the ensuing rain/lightning delay we found zip ties in the Family Dollar and it is still secured that way now.

20150727_063609-L.jpg

20150727_063631-L.jpg

What I don't have pictures of is the very inexpensive America's Best Value Inn in Santa Rosa. Now our first choice for road hotels. Rooms were $55 a night and I had a 55" flat screen tv in mine. Debbie's was smaller. Too bad not all the channels were good, but, hey, $55 for a clean, quiet room on the first floor with our bikes right outside.

I also don't have pictures of the brutal ride down through Lubbock towards Sweetwater, with a hot dry wind that we were leaned over in much of the time. Dealt with that all the way back to Austin. We were stopping every 70-90 miles for water and to cool off. There were times my bike got blown around so much I wasn't sure Debbie was going to keep her's on the road. She did though.

Oh yeah, the other guys. They didn't catch up. When we had lunch in Salida, I briefly considered heading west towards Gunnison and Lake City to hit the roads we missed on the way up. We were a day ahead of schedule and that would have let the other guys catch up. But a little time with the maps and looking at the weather radar and we realized we needed to stay moving south or we were going to get smacked by some ugly stuff. Just a minor regret not getting one more day in the mountains, but sometimes you have to be smart.

Wrap up. I started this thread all philosophical so I'll try and tie it back together.

I had a really good time. Most of us knew each other, and I'd ridden with all but Donnie. I liked the personalities in the group and everybody had something to contribute. I'd ride with any and all of them again. And faster too, thanks to Debbie retraining me. Blame her Camilo, next time we ride in Arkansas.

I've been back just over a week and no longer feel the urge to hit the road right away. I managed to keep losing weight on the trip instead of gaining. So I've kept those good eating habits going. I've started reading books again and walking away from watching the tv. I'm waking up very early, but rested so I'm in the office even earlier. Oh, one thing I noticed on the trip was that I was saying thank you to people more often than I normally do. That was because we seemed to help each other a lot. Simple things, grabbing water bottles, picking things up. In all the alone time I had in my helmet riding across Texas, I realized I don't thank my wife enough for all the things she does for me. So I apologized to her and have started to correct that. Just about brought her to tears when I told her. Just a minor sign I came home changed.

I will admit I'm making plans for next year's trip already. My daughter is at Duke University in North Carolina. I'm thinking a spring trip to say "Hi" then hit all the good roads in that area. Some time after spring break and before school gets out. Enjoy the weather and beat the heat. Wonder what will happen to me on that trip? Can't wait to see.

thanks for reading along.

Well done! To all of y'all! It's funny how being away on a trip changes one's perspective.
Sounds like it was a great trip and a great experience shared. Thanks for the time putting it into words and pictures for us arm chair travelers!

... We picked up the pace and made it to Glenwood Springs. Last time I was there it was easy to get a hotel. Obviously I was there during tourist season and I didn't know about the hot springs (Debbie, how about chipping in that picture you took?) ...

... So, this is one of the reasons I like staying in Glenwood Springs. The view to the south.

IMD_0916-L.jpg

Man, I love Glenwood. I lived there for 7 years back in the 70's. That is a picture of Lookout Mountain. There used to be a ski resort there, but the snow really was sporatic so it didn't make it. There is a four wheel drive road to the top, you can see it zig zagging up in the pictures. There used to be one that ran right up the middle. I made it up in my Scout but a friend rolled his jeep all the way down. Lucky he wasn't killed but he spent some time in the hospital. Ultimately, my boss refused to give me a raise after three years and told me there were three people in line waiting for my job, so I moved on. Wonderful place to live though.

Thank you for your ride report.

Last edited:
Wrap up. I started this thread all philosophical so I'll try and tie it back together.

I had a really good time. Most of us knew each other, and I'd ridden with all but Donnie. I liked the personalities in the group and everybody had something to contribute. I'd ride with any and all of them again. And faster too, thanks to Debbie retraining me
. Blame her Camilo, next time we ride in Arkansas.

I've been back just over a week and no longer feel the urge to hit the road right away. I managed to keep losing weight on the trip instead of gaining. So I've kept those good eating habits going. I've started reading books again and walking away from watching the tv. I'm waking up very early, but rested so I'm in the office even earlier. Oh, one thing I noticed on the trip was that I was saying thank you to people more often than I normally do. That was because we seemed to help each other a lot. Simple things, grabbing water bottles, picking things up. In all the alone time I had in my helmet riding across Texas, I realized I don't thank my wife enough for all the things she does for me. So I apologized to her and have started to correct that. Just about brought her to tears when I told her. Just a minor sign I came home changed.

I will admit I'm making plans for next year's trip already. My daughter is at Duke University in North Carolina. I'm thinking a spring trip to say "Hi" then hit all the good roads in that area. Some time after spring break and before school gets out. Enjoy the weather and beat the heat. Wonder what will happen to me on that trip? Can't wait to see.

thanks for reading along

I never complained about the pace . . . :trust:

By the way, great report from a great trip planner / lead.

Thank you!!

I never complained about the pace . . . :trust:

By the way, great report from a great trip planner / lead.

Thank you!!

Don't worry, I can still go at a "enjoy the scenery pace"

Back