• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

more seat time: run errands...

• Thread starter Deleted member 23845
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 23845

All,
One of the ways I get more motorcycle seat time is to run errands on my bikes. Today it was gas up, visit to Audiologist to get right hearing aid maintained (bad receiver, and needed cleaning-- no charge). The Guzzi has a small rear rack and bag attached: so I can haul fairly decent amount of stuff. MV just small tank bag, so the Goose usually gets the errands. Fun today: mom and teenage boy going into Audiologist as I fired up and left: his eyes bugged and yeah, a wanna-be someday. This time of year errands are early morning, just back, its heating up now. YMMV. Get out and ride.

That's the reason the absolute minimum requirement for me to consider a road bike is the ability to hold at least a top case. Having a good size lockable storage opens up a whole lot of utilitarian uses for the motorcycle. There was one time where I was working on a project testing equipment at a offshore rig docked at Galveston. I had to be there up to 12hrs a day for some 2wks, but I get to go home every night. I had to carry my PPE with me - steel toes, hard hat, coveralls, gloves, etc. and my work PC, because I had to be suited up before riding the personnel basket. So I can't leave the PPE on the rig. Everything fit into the 3 hard cases. And when I suited up, all my moto gear got locked up in the same 3 cases.

Those 2wks turned out to be great weather-wise, and IIRC I rode in all but 1 time. I was allowed to park the bike right at the dock next to the rig, so I could see it from way up on top. I also got to turn in mileage reimbursement for the 120 mile round trips. It was like getting paid to ride my bike! :rider:

IMG_20190626_135850.jpg

My daily rider, only time I don't ride is if it's pouring rain. OEM KLR top case is good for a week or two of groceries for the wife and I. I'm 31 for reference.

Lol, yeah the jacket inside also works...

2 weeks, must be very light eaters, lol!
It's a bit deceiving. Those crates hold 4 gallons of milk or, 4 full bags of groceries and more stacked on top and a couple hung from each side of the handle bars. Then there are bungee cords for the outside of the crate. I've also used an oversized action packer.

2 weeks, must be very light eaters, lol!

It's a bit deceiving. Those crates hold 4 gallons of milk or, 4 full bags of groceries and more stacked on top and a couple hung from each side of the handle bars. Then there are bungee cords for the outside of the crate. I've also used an oversized action packer.

What SL350 said.

I can fit 5 full bags of groceries in mine, I've got a motorcycle cargo net that fits around the top of the milk crate to keep it all in. I also keep 2 spare bungee cords in the bottom of my crate as well if I get a little too much. The last time I had to buy a 12 pack of sodas, I bungeed it across the top of the milk crate to help hold everything in. I can wedge a large pizza box underneath the milk crate if I need to pick up pizza. It doesn't go anywhere and the exhaust helps keep it warm.

Last time I had to buy a car battery, I took off the crate and used Rok It straps to hold it down. I got to O'Reilly's, traded in the old battery for new, and the sales guy thought the CT90 was going to fall apart when I strapped on the new battery to the back. When it didn't, he asked if I was going to have enough power to get home. Yup, cruised home doing 40 the whole way.

Back