• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Most physically demanding non track riding?

Reaction score
What do you think the most physically demanding kind/type of non track/street legal riding is?

It seems like the off road parts of adventure style riding would be a good answer.

It depends on the adventure riding.

I have done some that is nothing more than dirt roads and it really isn't any more demanding than street riding. Go somewhere like North Carolina and do a 250 mile day of pavement on the right roads and you will be WHOOPED by the time the day is over! Then there are some dirt "roads" that might be only a few miles long and by the time you reach the other end, you can barely stand up, can count your pulse by the pulsing of the edges of your field of view, and you might be seeing dancing spots in your vision :lol2:

Skill level has a lot to do with it as well. If you watch enduro racing, the really good guys make it look easy and they aren't expending anywhere near the amount of energy as the not so good guys... That is part of what makes them so good, the ability to get through stuff in a way that is the smoothest and least difficult, letting the bike do the work, so they don't wear themselves out. Fatigued riders make mistakes. Mistakes lead to injury to bike and rider. This is why good training and practice of correct techniques can make all the difference in the world.

#1. Dirt roads after a rain that have oil field trucks making it a sloppy single track.
#2. Dirt roads after a rain that have oil field trucks making it a single track then add sunshine to dry it out with hard edges.

#1. Dirt roads after a rain that have oil field trucks making it a sloppy single track.
#2. Dirt roads after a rain that have oil field trucks making it a single track then add sunshine to dry it out with hard edges.

Come ride with us next month

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Muddy rocky steep single track that is hard enough to make you repeatedly pick up your bike.

IE, watch some of the "Last Man Standing" races where the guys were on the side of the trail just totally spent and just don't have it in them to pick up that bike one more time.

Then go watch some YouTubes of David Knight and Graham Jarvis... :brainsnap

Except they never look tired.

Exactly. They are the riders I was talking about in my first post that make it look easy and use WAY less energy than the other riders. I watched David Knight do a finish line interview at one of the Erzberg Enduros where he had won by a large margin. He looked fresh and ready to keep riding!! And this is a race where very few people ever even make it to the finish line. Just amazing.

I was talking local rides on public roads that anyone can do. I set up my own obstacle course to practice at my house to tryyyy to get at the minimum skill level as y’all dirt riders.

It depends on the adventure riding.

I have done some that is nothing more than dirt roads and it really isn't any more demanding than street riding. Go somewhere like North Carolina and do a 250 mile day of pavement on the right roads and you will be WHOOPED by the time the day is over! Then there are some dirt "roads" that might be only a few miles long and by the time you reach the other end, you can barely stand up, can count your pulse by the pulsing of the edges of your field of view, and you might be seeing dancing spots in your vision :lol2:

Skill level has a lot to do with it as well. If you watch enduro racing, the really good guys make it look easy and they aren't expending anywhere near the amount of energy as the not so good guys... That is part of what makes them so good, the ability to get through stuff in a way that is the smoothest and least difficult, letting the bike do the work, so they don't wear themselves out. Fatigued riders make mistakes. Mistakes lead to injury to bike and rider. This is why good training and practice of correct techniques can make all the difference in the world.
WHAT HE SAID. ESPECIALLY IF THOSE STRETCHES OF ROADS END UP WITH MUD OR SAND. MAKES YOU NERVOUS AS A CAT IN A ROOM FULL OF ROCKERS. IM USUALLY WRECKED (MENTALLY AND PHYSICALLY SPEAKING) BY THE END

"OH, COME ON , IT AINT THAT BAD", HE SAID.

Muddy rutted roads with 18 wheelers coming the other way

A fully loaded ADV bike while on a challenging 2 track road with rocks, roots, mud, water, significant elevation changes while riding in the summer heat and wearing full protective gear....

Don’t know if anyone touched on it, but just ride with someone just above your skill level. You will get better and a great workout just trying to keep up.

Don’t know if anyone touched on it, but just ride with someone just above your skill level. You will get better and a great workout just trying to keep up.

Unless you crash... then it just hurts :-P

Very true. I have been chasing Sander thru the hill country throughout 2018 and got the accelerated course.

Anything where you aren't on the bike is the hard part. Mud, climbing uphill, loading, falling down, changing tires. Riding is the easy part, especially on a KLR.

Back