• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

MOTHER NEFF!!! ...Wow ..That's a Lotta Park there now

Cycledelic Relic

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
First Name
Rod
Last Name
Powers
OK folks... Now looky here. I'm not really much of a camper or anything... but this ol park we got closeby here is about to expand into sumthin else entirely.....

http://tpwd.texas.gov/newsmedia/releases/?req=20120524c

The original park camping area is right next to the Leon River & so has been prone to flooding on a regular basis making it unusable for long periods even...during heavy rains.

The Texas Parks & Wildlife Commission has purchased 142!! acres up on the higher ground north of the original 256 acres. You outta see the BRAND NEW facilities.... A Welcome Center... Lots of camping spots... picnic tables... RV hookups... Restrooms with showers (with heaters no less!!!)....WOW!
ALL USABLE YEAR ROUND WITHOUT WORRY OF FLOODING

http://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/pwdpubs/media/park_maps/pwd_mp_p4503_022b.pdf

The new park entrance is shown on the right end of the map with the new road meandering south towards the loop at the end of the original upper trail road. The new main camping area is near the intersect at the loop. The original camping area near the river will become a daytime use area only... That's the only downside to the expansion I can see. I've been thru the new section & I can tell ya.... ITS NICE..... Texas oldest park deserves this!!

Have not been there in some time, isn't that the first park in the Texas State park system

My grandfather worked for the CCC building the park during the depression. He helped lay the stones for the old Tabernacle. I made the park a priority running community service crews out there when I worked in McLennan County. We rebuilt many of the trails and cleaned out the old wash pond. The park was in real rough shape back then. I once launched my boat and rode around the area when it flooded real bad. Lake Belton backed up over the park completely covering all the buildings. You could not even see the roof of the Tabernacle.

Good news indeed Rod. Tuanks. Hopefully the current main park road will still be maintained.

Good news indeed Rod. Tuanks. Hopefully the current main park road will still be maintained.

As far as I kno... Oglesby Neff Park Rd will remain open into the back of the old park area... & the old entrance from 236 by the river bridge will remain ungated. There has been a gate at the entrance to the trail area for several years now. There will also be A new Main Entrance gate to the addition.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

As far as I kno... Oglesby Neff Park Rd will remain open into the back of the old park area... & the old entrance from 236 by the river bridge will remain ungated. There has been a gate at the entrance to the trail area for several years now. There will also be A new Main Entrance gate to the addition.

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

I did not see how they could close that since that is home to several folk down through there.

Reviving this. Anyone been there this summer? What’s it like now?

The old Mother Neff in the river bottom is no more. Buldings are still there but its closed. Dont kno if it will ever reopen.
The new section up the hill opened several years ago & its connected to the trails...canyons & winding loop road.
Very nicely done if a bit nondescript compared to the old river bottom.

Hwy 236 is still closed at the river/old entrance. Theyve been reworking that area with a new bridge for 2-3 years

I love the sign on the way out

D73B7479-A76A-4EA3-8C74-A9884111FBD5.jpeg

The old Mother Neff in the river bottom is no more. Buldings are still there but its closed. Dont kno if it will ever reopen.
The new section up the hill opened several years ago & its connected to the trails...canyons & winding loop road.

Hwy 236 is still closed at the river/old entrance. Theyve been reworking that area with a new bridge for 2-3 years
My wife and I hiked almost the entire trails there a few weeks ago. The state did a great job refreshing the north side đź‘Ť

Im glad to say....that the new Leon River bridge on Tx236 & the raised highway to match looks almost done. The old entrance gate is still in place with entrance at the north end of the raised road so mabe the original park will remain for day use...or at the very least ..for access to Oglesby Neff Pk Rd.
Havent seen the area from the south on 236.

Back