• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Moto Guzzi V 85 tt 4000 mile review

GRU

Reaction score
First Name
Phil
Last Name
Grundy
Well, I’ve got 4K on her now, just returned from Barber vintage festival. Went to TN, rode the Dragon, and many more twisty roads, and I can truly say the Guzzi preformed flawlessly. Loaded down with hard bags, she got 49 mpg on the interstate at 5 over indicated, and 58 to 63 in the mountains. Over 200 miles on a tank, with usually one fallen left in the tank, 254 miles on one tank. Handeling was good with a load, and the cruise control works great. Comfort good for about 150 miles for this old man before I need to stand up, or take a break. We did one 500 mile day, and I was tired, but the bike never missed a beat. Recommend the Lodge at Tellico Plains if you go up that way, very motorcycle friendly.
BBB6C1C0-2D09-4037-B2D8-A8EE764AAB83.jpeg

88BC81BF-0AB1-48BF-A052-38C88F6B69DD.jpeg

Be safe out there. Sounds like a great trip!! Gotta to be beautiful with the turn of the leaves.

Looks like a good trip.

After jury duty last week (didn't get picked) I visited the dealer here to look at it a second time now that tubeless wheels are standard. I've ben wanting one since before they were released.

Started one up and the thing just couldn't idle properly. It hunted and surged and bogged and never settled even well after it was warmed up. giving it some juice, it bogged down before revving up. Being Euro5 and changing the electronics has left 2021 owners with no solution to the issue which runs deeper than just at idle. It can happen randomly at any speed, any time according to owners all over. The map is only part of the problem. The rest of the problem is a communication issue going to the ECU. Sensors acting erratically? Hard to tell when everything happens randomly. Even data logging only shows when the problems occur but it doesn't monitor all the sensors for output data, which is needed to diagnose the issues.

I still want one and my solution may be to buy a leftover 2020 Euro4 that can be remapped and a cat eliminating Y-pipe installed then just outright buy the tubeless wheels. But I wouldn't get the improved heads and camshaft that the 2021 has for better lows and mids and improved gas mileage.

With the V100's official unveiling in a month, I may end up giving up on the V85TT altogether. But maybe a V100TT may be announced too, although in a larger package like the old Stelvio.

Last edited:
Looks like a good trip.

After jury duty last week (didn't get picked) I visited the dealer here to look at it a second time now that tubeless wheels are standard. I've ben wanting one since before they were released.

Started one up and the thing just couldn't idle properly. It hunted and surged and bogged and never settled even well after it was warmed up. giving it some juice, it bogged down before revving up. Being Euro5 and changing the electronics has left 2021 owners with no solution to the issue which runs deeper than just at idle. It can happen randomly at any speed, any time according to owners all over. The map is only part of the problem. The rest of the problem is a communication issue going to the ECU. Sensors acting erratically? Hard to tell when everything happens randomly. Even data logging only shows when the problems occur but it doesn't monitor all the sensors for output data, which is needed to diagnose the issues.

I still want one and my solution may be to buy a leftover 2020 Euro4 that can be remapped and a cat eliminating Y-pipe installed then just outright buy the tubeless wheels. But I wouldn't get the improved heads and camshaft that the 2021 has for better lows and mids and improved gas mileage.

With the V100's official unveiling in a week, I may end up giving up on the V85TT altogether. But maybe a V100TT may be announced too, although in a larger package like the old Stelvio.
Is the idle problem for the V85TT or are all models (V7, V9) affected?

Is the idle problem for the V85TT or are all models (V7, V9) affected?
Can't speak for the other models. As the new V7 models are 850cc as well, you might think they would have the same issues, but the top end is different and the make less HP than the TT. Does that mean they don't have the same issues? That's not enough info to go on.

Can't speak for the other models. As the new V7 models are 850cc as well, you might think they would have the same issues, but the top end is different and the make less HP than the TT. Does that mean they don't have the same issues? That's not enough info to go on.
Guzzitech reports some issues but different from what you are talking about:

Mine is a 20, it has a rough idle when it is cold, but no issues after it warms up. I think every Guzzi I have owned is rough on start up. I’m going to go with the tub less wheels this winter, already have the cat eliminated, no issues there. I think euro 5 made it hard to get the air cooled bikes passed, and that may be why Guzzi is finally going water cooled on the v100.

2020 = euro 4
2021 = euro 5

Emissions requirements will make in the difference in the way the engine runs.

Yes, GT is THE source for info on new models and issues and fixes.

Mine is a 20, it has a rough idle when it is cold, but no issues after it warms up. I think every Guzzi I have owned is rough on start up. I’m going to go with the tub less wheels this winter, already have the cat eliminated, no issues there. I think euro 5 made it hard to get the air cooled bikes passed, and that may be why Guzzi is finally going water cooled on the v100.

My 2017 V7 III likes a minute to warm up, then ready to roll, but never a really hunting idle. Uh, maybe the bike mentioned had valve lash wrong?

I bet the air cooled lumps are around a while

Unfortunately the info in that link isn't good for the TT plus the 850 in the new V7 is significantly different than the TT.

The fix has actually been replacing the crank position sensor which is actually not "just" a sensor. The whole stator assembly has to be replaced (I can't say if this is a revised part or just another of the same). Reports are that things are better but obviously not as smooth and proper as before Euro 4. The erratic fueling is not just at idle. It also crops up during riding, out of nowhere, then disappears. Only data logging with access to all the sensors will turn up the chain of events, which I'd like to see, as that would truly tell the world what the real problem is and how to fix it.

However, because this remedy has been approved by Moto Guzzi, I no longer fret over this bike. I still want it and there's a few on the floor in H-town.

But a month from now at EICMA, we'll get the skinny on the Mandello and plans for the future of the liquid cooled platforms. Maybe we will hear about a new liquid cooled TT but likely a new Stelvio. Much like computers, we can keep waiting in perpetuity for the next best thing "oh, they'll be releasing a new model soon" but I have zero resaon to believe the new platform will suffer the same issues as the air cooled models under Euro5 and could confidently purchase a 1st year release.

Last edited:
Just passing this on. I rode with a guy that was tapped to lead a multi-day tour through Arkansas for Moto Guzzi for the launch of this bike.

He said they did three of these events. The deal was you pay $2,000 to do it which paid for all tour expenses and if you like the bike, the $2,000 goes in full towards the purchase of one.

Seems like a great way to get into one of these bikes. I think he said those events were done for this year, but they might have more in the future. Something to keep an eye out for those interested in the bike.

Just passing this on. I rode with a guy that was tapped to lead a multi-day tour through Arkansas for Moto Guzzi for the launch of this bike.

He said they did three of these events. The deal was you pay $2,000 to do it which paid for all tour expenses and if you like the bike, the $2,000 goes in full towards the purchase of one.

Seems like a great way to get into one of these bikes. I think he said those events were done for this year, but they might have more in the future. Something to keep an eye out for those interested in the bike.

I bought my 2017 V7 III due to a Guzzi ride-demo event at the old Italian Superbikes in Houston. Glad to see MG doing some actual marketing. What we need is a quality dealer in Houston for Aprilia and Guzzi.

Looks like a good trip.

With the V100's official unveiling in a month, I may end up giving up on the V85TT altogether. But maybe a V100TT may be announced too, although in a larger package like the old Stelvio.
Come one man, that's the fun of owning an Italian pedigree. Constant electrical issues and mechanical gremlins!

Back