• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Moto Guzzi V100 Mandello

Only issue I have is that AF1 to date has not been carrying the cruiser style big bikes from Guzzi. I was hoping they could get an Eldorado for me, I called and talked with Chris, but no luck. Team Extreme had one, but I just can't deal with those guys. I assuming since the V100 is just a slightly larger displacement V85 and a landmark bike for Guzzi that AF1 will have to carry it.

Only issue I have is that AF1 to date has not been carrying the cruiser style big bikes from Guzzi. I was hoping they could get an Eldorado for me, I called and talked with Chris, but no luck. Team Extreme had one, but I just can't deal with those guys. I assuming since the V100 is just a slightly larger displacement V85 and a landmark bike for Guzzi that AF1 will have to carry it.
AF1 wouldn't even order it for you? It's possible that if they did, MG might want to force them to commit to a certain number each year, just like Harley does. Then they stick the dealer with bikes they can't unload but have to keep taking or they won't be supplied the bikes they can sell easily. In texas, I see no reason why the big 1400s wouldn't sell. It looks to be a great highway mile muncher, like any other cruiser.

The V100 is completely different than the V85 as it is liquid cooled unitized construction, meaning now a wet hydraulic clutch and 4 valves/cylinder. I'm honestly wondering how much longer the V85 will be around because of meeting Euro 6 in the future. There's a very good chance the V85TT will be the only V85, no others in the platform. The V7 which got a boost and the V9, is not the same as the V85 because of the top end. But, I would bet the air cooled bikes will be gone completely in a couple years. The new liquid cooled engine block is sized to be anything from 800cc-1300cc, so it will likely power the V7 line and the cruiser line. I imagine the V100 Mandello is the gateway bike and AF1 will definitely have to carry it to get the world used to seeing the new MG. I personally can't wait to see it.

Now I am torn between the V85 and the upcoming V100....do I wait?:ponder:

I hope you are correct!! I can't wait to see some road reviews on the V100. Im thinking probably around last qtr of this year maybe. I would hope to be able to get my hands on one by spring.

I hope you are correct!! I can't wait to see some road reviews on the V100. Im thinking probably around last qtr of this year maybe. I would hope to be able to get my hands on one by spring.
One of the dozens of web-zines I perused said something about a show in November where MG is supposed to divulge more info on other models for 2022. They did not clarify if those models were based on the liquid cooled engine. A single sentence on one site suggested a new V100 Stelvio is coming. It makes sense as the Stelvio NTX has been gone for 2 model years. It's probably a good tiing that it will be a 1000cc model as you really don't want to try to compete in BMWs space. And BMW is looking like they will be going with a 1300cc fully liquid cooled boxer GS in the near future according to patent applications.

One of the dozens of web-zines I perused said something about a show in November where MG is supposed to divulge more info on other models for 2022. They did not clarify if those models were based on the liquid cooled engine. A single sentence on one site suggested a new V100 Stelvio is coming. It makes sense as the Stelvio NTX has been gone for 2 model years. It's probably a good tiing that it will be a 1000cc model as you really don't want to try to compete in BMWs space. And BMW is looking like they will be going with a 1300cc fully liquid cooled boxer GS in the near future according to patent applications.
1300 cc? At what point will manufacturers stop increasing engine size? Is it really necessary anyway?

1300 cc? At what point will manufacturers stop increasing engine size? Is it really necessary anyway?
They've all been doing it to pass Euro5 and not drop HP at the same time.

Honestly, I don't know why others want 150 HP in an Avd bike. I don't even want it in a sport tourer that doesn't leave the road.

When the masses decide that only 100 HP is fine for an Adv bike, they'll make it. And it will be samller and lighter. Oh wait...

They've all been doing it to pass Euro5 and not drop HP at the same time.

Honestly, I don't know why others want 150 HP in an Avd bike. I don't even want it in a sport tourer that doesn't leave the road.

When the masses decide that only 100 HP is fine for an Adv bike, they'll make it. And it will be samller and lighter. Oh wait...
My R1150GS never felt down on power. It didn't even make 100 HP.

MG haven't made the 1400cc cruisers since 2017, and there are no news ones left at the warehouse. All 1400cc have been discontinued. No provisions from HQ for dealer to dealer transfers. Demand has exceeded supply this year, so we are thin for stock right now, but we are taking orders for all current models. No official news on the V100, but we are thinking a Fall 2022 arrival as maybe an early 2023. More news will come after the EICMA show in Italy.

Looks like a smaller fly wheel, should turn more rpm. Should make a nice sport tourer. The left shaft drive is kinda like the 1200 bmw, defiantly lining up to get past euro 5 & 6. Also electric wind screen.

Looks like a smaller fly wheel, should turn more rpm. Should make a nice sport tourer. The left shaft drive is kinda like the 1200 bmw, defiantly lining up to get past euro 5 & 6. Also electric wind screen.
I'm curious to see what the riding position will look like. I'm looking for upright seating position.

FE4Xa5HXMAUFiV4?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

I wondered when MG would go to liquid cooled motors, the Euro 5 standards are stringent. My W800 Cafe, the newest I own and air cooled, doesn't meet it.

"While it is technically a new model, the 2020 Kawasaki W800 is only Euro 4 compliant. Kawasaki was able to get avoid having to get it to comply with Euro 5 by adding it to the vehicle type approval documentation for the W800 Cafe and W800 Street, thus counting it as a returning model. Kawasaki has a year to make all three W800 models Euro 5 compliant."

Air cooled motors are getting rarer, I assume future Guzzis will be LC.

That said it's good to see Guzzi coming out with new production. They've always made some of the best looking sport-tourers, the Mandello keeps that tradition alive.

Beautiful.. seating position looks a bit demanding on longer rides.
Ergos looks like any standard UJM to me. There's a video with a guy sitting on it holding a live eagle with a foot up and a hand on the bars, it looks like pretty classic UJM/British standard ergos.

The Mandello is a great looking bike. And the specs are very good. From Motorcycle.Com:

"Moto Guzzi claims a peak output of 115 hp and 77.4 lb-ft. Piaggio did not mention what engine speeds produce those peak numbers, but it did specify a rev limit of 9500 rpm while claiming 90% of its peak torque arrives at 3500 rpm."

Rule of thumb for shaft drive (20% +/- loss) would put it at 92hp/66tq at 3500rpm, torque comes in early for midrange. No info on dry/curb weight, I'm sure MG worked to keep it at less than 500lbs. Sounds awesome in the video.

I wondered when MG would go to liquid cooled motors, the Euro 5 standards are stringent. My W800 Cafe, the newest I own and air cooled, doesn't meet it.

"While it is technically a new model, the 2020 Kawasaki W800 is only Euro 4 compliant. Kawasaki was able to get avoid having to get it to comply with Euro 5 by adding it to the vehicle type approval documentation for the W800 Cafe and W800 Street, thus counting it as a returning model. Kawasaki has a year to make all three W800 models Euro 5 compliant."

Air cooled motors are getting rarer, I assume future Guzzis will be LC.

That said it's good to see Guzzi coming out with new production. They've always made some of the best looking sport-tourers, the Mandello keeps that tradition alive.
The V85TT Euro 5 model (with a modified top end compared to the V7 line of 850s) is barely making it past Euro 5 and is hit or miss with the fueling. Runs real hot and can randomly bog and surge. Completely unreproducable when trying to figure out why. Replacing the stator assembly which has the crank position sensor built in helps to some degree (quality issue) but the Euro 5 version for 2021 is still not a great runner. Doesn't help that the header/cat is now one welded piece and a y-pipe is out of the question unless you replace the whole exhaust system). Getting a new Euro 5 map is elusive because no one is able to download it to the ECU.

This has me on the fence about buying it because I will spend up to 16 hours/day on it on my trips. Commuting, not a big deal sitting on all that heat, but the bog/surge issue can be a safety hazard in heavy traffic, pulling out in front of other vehicles. Dangerous if the bike hesitates and there's cars coming at you. There's a Guzzi site (in Italian) that posted some Euro 4 maps and a statement that a Euro 5 map will be available in the spring. That suggests someone found a way to burn a new map into the Euro 5 ECU. We will see. If true, that's a game changer for 2021 owners. The size of the V85TT IMO is just right.

I'm sure there will be no more air cooled Guzzis in the works. They may squeeze the V7 line longer with fueling mods but a fresh design, no. The V100 will lead to a new Stelvio purportedly. However the engine assembly in the V100 is 4" shorter than the current V85TT. Perhaps they do make a LC version of the V85TT that is the same size and forget the larger heavier Stelvio. Then they don't have to compete in the same space as the large displacement Multistrada, KTM 1290 Adv, Tiger Explorer and Big GS for a really small piece of the pie. The Stelvio sales numbers were tiny in comparison so maybe that's a better move. But it'll have to wait until te V85TT is no longer wanted or can no longer meet emiisions for new model years, otherwise it'll just take sales away from itself.

The new block can handle up to a 1300cc model so I'm sure the big cruisers will get it in a couple years.

The Mandello is a great looking bike. And the specs are very good. From Motorcycle.Com:

"Moto Guzzi claims a peak output of 115 hp and 77.4 lb-ft. Piaggio did not mention what engine speeds produce those peak numbers, but it did specify a rev limit of 9500 rpm while claiming 90% of its peak torque arrives at 3500 rpm."

Rule of thumb for shaft drive (20% +/- loss) would put it at 92hp/66tq at 3500rpm, torque comes in early for midrange. No info on dry/curb weight, I'm sure MG worked to keep it at less than 500lbs. Sounds awesome in the video.
My old R1100S spec'd at 98 HP on the engine dyno in Deutschland but RWHP was 86 so 14% loss from a 20 year old bike. Hopefully the losses have decreased a percent or 2 since then which would put the Mandello in the high 90s like 97-98 RWHP. More than satisfactory in my book. 77.4 lbs.ft is very nice too.

At 3500 rpms, you're getting about 46 HP if 90% of torque is made there. Ths tells me it is not a stump puller but it's also not a revver, but a very normal and easy riding enigine with a pretty wide and flat torque curve.

Less than 500 lbs is a tall order in the ST segment. The current Ninja 1000 is 515 lbs, even though it is a 4 banger and 1/5 gallon more fuel but the shaft drive can easily make up that weight difference.

Back