• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

AUSTIN: MotoGP 2018 & Handbuilt Motorcycle Show (warning: spoilers)

Jeff S

Forum Supporter
Seems the Austin MotoGP race is sneaking up without a lot of chatter here. So, I'll start a thread to post up who's going, meetups, etc. Also note that the Handbuild Motorcycle Show is moving this year, and it's no longer a free event. Still, I'll be attending!

I'll be going with General Admin tickets again, hanging out around turns 5 and 10. I'll be there each day, and happy to meetup with any out of towners coming in for the event...

Last edited:
Re: MotoGP 2018 & Handbuilt Motorcycle Show

Yep, GA tickets for me again this year. And I love 5-10 for race day. Saturday I'll be wandering a lot with the camera.

Looks like the Statesman parking lot. $15 for day pass, $40 for 3 day pass. They will have Wall of Death shows too.

I bought the COTA package that was announced today

General Admission but it includes a front row seat for the MMA fight between Rossi and Marquez :box:

Windmill

Forum Supporter

Called, West ticket office open next week Monday through Thursday 10 to 5. I'm going to ride out and PU my G A. Avoid any lines on Friday or Saturday.
Anyone know of a small foldable 3 led stool about 30" or so? I didn't see one at academy. I used a dove chair last year, too short, want something higher. No high dollar REI though :-P

The thing with that hand built is last year it was Friday night and Sat. will be at GP. Wish they had it another weekend, really enjoy it. Was looking forward to riding the wall of death this year.

Jeff S

Forum Supporter

Yeah - it really is frustrating to have to choose between the race (and practices) and the handbuilt show. Saturday afternoon is the time to go. FP3 (kinda like a pre-qualifier) ends at 10:40am, and Q1 starts at 2:10. Moto Show starts at noon. So if you don't mind missing FP3 (for all classes), go the moto show at noon, stay an hour or two, then go to the races. Otherwise, do an evening at the moto show on Friday night after the GP stuff and MotoAmerica races end - that's what I'm likely to do this year.

I got this little stool. Not terribly comfortable, but very small, light and keeps my *** of the ground. Here's a cheaper one.

Also: Race Schedule and Handbuilt Moto Show Schedule

Called, West ticket office open next week Monday through Thursday 10 to 5. I'm going to ride out and PU my G A. Avoid any lines on Friday or Saturday.
Anyone know of a small foldable 3 led stool about 30" or so? I didn't see one at academy. I used a dove chair last year, too short, want something higher. No high dollar REI though :-P

The thing with that hand built is last year it was Friday night and Sat. will be at GP. Wish they had it another weekend, really enjoy it. Was looking forward to riding the wall of death this year.
I'm trying this little chair out this year. I've been on a yoga mat in previous years.

https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/p/quest-pack-lite-chair-16queuqstpckltchrodr/16queuqstpckltchrodr

Windmill

Forum Supporter

2WheelNut

Forum Supporter

I'll head down Sunday morning from the DFW area and get there in time for all the races. Likely do GA. I've done it in years past and it works well. You can even go sit in the grandstands if you want a seat pretty much until the MotoGP race itself as they are empty for all the other races.

Although....I think the grass area between turns 2 and around 6 is a pretty great place to watch the race. You really get a sense of how fast they are going and you see some decent battles. (although T1 and whatever turn is at the end of the back straight are also great places to watch overtakes)

Oh.... and if MM has to start at the back of the grid because of last weeks race (which he should IMO)....it should be interesting to watch him plow over 15 riders as he tries to make his way back to the front. Wonder how many penalty points he'll pick up in Austin? :)

Last edited:

Oh.... and if MM has to start at the back of the grid because of last weeks race (which he should IMO)....it should be interesting to watch him plow over 15 riders as he tries to make his way back to the front. Wonder how many penalty points he'll pick up in Austin? :)
Marquez is scheduled to do a promo for Dorna Sports (commercial rights holder for MotoGP) at Franklin BBQ on Thursday morning. The plan is to drop him off at the end of the line at 11am and film him elbowing his way to the front for the freshest brisket :eat:

2WheelNut

Forum Supporter

I agree.

I actually like Moto 3 a lot too. Tons of overtakes and tight passing on those little bikes and it always goes to the wire before you know the winner.

Speaking of which, in contrast, the MotoGP race has been decided by the midpoint for the past few years. Still fun to watch but almost boring at the end because MM has a big lead and everyone else is just riding around with pretty established positions.

I'll be great to be back in Austin even if for a couple of days.
I'll be the guy waving the green flag at the back of the grid to signal the starter for each of the races.

Hope to see a few of the TWT guys there. Enjoy the races.

Jeff S

Forum Supporter

Just looked at the weather - looks like it could rain most of Saturday. That'll make the track time on Friday a lot more interesting - they'll need to treat it like a qualifying round!

Jeff S

Forum Supporter

^ I'm not sure what you mean by that
MotoGP does this qualifying system where there are two 15 minute qualifiers. Q1 is for the slower guys; Q2 is the fastest 10 from the three practice sessions (plus the two fastest from Q1). Finishing order in Q2 determines the first four rows of the grid, Q1 times determine rows 5 and lower

Typically, the riders try to set one fast lap in FP3 - Saturday afternoon - in order to get into Q2 and thus into the first few rows. If Saturday is wet, then they gotta set that fast lap on Friday. In a typical weekend, Friday is truly just practice - none of the times matter for anything other than bragging rights. But wet Sat means that Friday's times actually matter.

Vinny

Forum Supporter

Just bought tickets for Friday for $6 at StubHub.

I'm also going Sunday.

Jeff S

Forum Supporter

Are you sure about this part?
Q1/Q2 is decided by the fastest lap in any of the three practices. But yes, in a normal weekend, Friday is about race setup, and Saturday's FP3 has a 15 minute mini-race at the end. They all switch to super-soft tires and go for one hot lap. We haven't had a 'normal', fully dry weekend yet in the 2018 season. However, fast guys are usually fast all weekend...

For any of you headed to the Handbuilt Motorcycle Show, RevIt is a presenting sponsor and has 20% off tickets purchased online through the revival cycles site for the show. Use code RevIt20

I've always gone in the past and enjoyed the old location. Not too sure about paying $15 to get in given I'll have my daughter with me and her attention span may not last very long. Also, for those who don't have parking arrangements, the show indicated that they will have a shuttle running from the show to the track. Might be worth checking that out.

Windmill

Forum Supporter

MotoGP does this qualifying system where there are two 15 minute qualifiers. Q1 is for the slower guys; Q2 is the fastest 10 from the three practice sessions (plus the two fastest from Q1). Finishing order in Q2 determines the first four rows of the grid, Q1 times determine rows 5 and lower

Typically, the riders try to set one fast lap in FP3 - Saturday afternoon - in order to get into Q2 and thus into the first few rows. If Saturday is wet, then they gotta set that fast lap on Friday. In a typical weekend, Friday is truly just practice - none of the times matter for anything other than bragging rights. But wet Sat means that Friday's times actually matter.
Jeff I think you are right and has happened in past.
Drove out today to ticket window and bought my pass. Had to show ID?
Lots of activity by workers going on ot there.

Mason and I will be there Saturday and Sunday.....anybody live close and could let us camp in their dooryard? :sun:

Windmill

Forum Supporter

I hope it's faster lap times. I believe he's been 3rd the last couple years.
He overtook Pedrosa last year for second. Should be interesting this year rain practice and qualifying dry cool weather for Sunday race

Last edited:

Kevin Graulty

Forum Supporter

Hello, All ... I’m with the group around Huntsville / Montgomery ... and letting everyone know, I was finally able to get my ‘66 BMW and sidecar rig accepted into Revival Cycle’s “Handbuilt Show” this MotoGP weekend in Austin. Yes, the show is in a different (larger, I believe) venue this year, the Austin American Statesman building, 305 South Congress ... hope to see some friends I know stop by and say hello.

Jeff S

Forum Supporter

I've gotten a few PM's about a meetup spot or how to find other TWTers at the track. I'm in charge of exactly nothing, so not really the guy to ask. But...

How 'bout we make an unofficial meetup spot near the TV camera crane thing that's camped at T6. There are usually a couple of food / beer options near there (more down by T4) and the view is good, pretty central location for the GA crowd. So - if you're killing time between events or looking for other random TWTers... go to the TV crane.

He overtook Pedrosa last year for second
Rossi publicly admits he loves Austin & Texas but he admits COTA is right there with his least favorite tracks from a competition perspective. That, and the M1 doesn't have the grunt that Ducati and even the Hondas have, so his performance on the track here is largely due to the DNA as a rider he's gifted with.

Marquez, unless he is penalized from the past at the start on Sunday, will probably run away again because he loves this track (obviously) and his bike is built for it. Unless Honda screws up the race setup (they won't) with some minor glitch, he'll be hard to reach again.

Now all this said, look for Rossi to push so hard to overcome the above and put his protege in his place. Nerves are on edge and this is one reason for readers who are on the fence to attend this year's race should decide to come out. This year may mean that this is second time at COTA that Valentino slides pushing the limit. Hope not. Come for the drama.

Jeff S

Forum Supporter

^ Exactly right. The Marquez / Rossi feud is at a peak right now, and that'll be in the back of their minds all weekend. And the rest of the pack is hungry to unseat Marc as the only winner Austin has ever crowned. The standings in the championship right now are nuts. Two independent teams in the top 3! Dovi is looking strong, RINS tied with Rossi!!! Yes, we're only two races in, but the drama (for motogp geeks) is high.

A chief complaint by riders of COTA in past seasons has been the bumpiness of the track especially in the vicinity of T4-T9 (or so).

I tried searching online but the most I found is (supposedly) the track was resurfaced for the previous F1 and that grinder trucks were brought in for the aforementioned worst areas in those turns.

Fans in that stretch mentioned above might keep their eyes out for this especially if you remember the one bump that caused bikes to pogo stick last year :eek2:

Other than the HB Show and the race here are a few other events left this weekend to go to.

And Sunday I'm going to be catching breakfast at 7am at La Mexicana Bakery off S.1st before heading out to the track, cheap tacos, pastries and coffee if yah want to join.

Also I thought it was the bumps on the large sweeper turn around the COTA tower that bucked Vinales off of his ride last year from what I remember.

Anyone need a parking spot? I happen to have an extra pass to Lot T - up near turn 1. All three days (of course today is pretty spent). Shoot a PM and I'll check in an hour or so.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vinny

Forum Supporter

Other than the HB Show and the race here are a few other events left this weekend to go to.

And Sunday I'm going to be catching breakfast at 7am at La Mexicana Bakery off S.1st before heading out to the track, cheap tacos, pastries and coffee if yah want to join.

Also I thought it was the bumps on the large sweeper turn around the COTA tower that bucked Vinales off of his ride last year from what I remember.
Thanks for posting. I'm headed to the AF1 party now.

Windmill

Forum Supporter

Beautiful day at Circuit of Americas not crowded at all. Heading back in morning to camp Saturday, rain chances have decreased.

Windmill

Forum Supporter

There was talk at track about the part of the track that was ground off because of last years rider complaints. They said there may be a problem and something about yellow flag. I did see on the big monitor some shimmy in front ends in one section. Anyone hear anything?

Windmill

Forum Supporter

Marquez penalized from pole to second row for balking Vinalles(Tech 3). What is balked? A fake swerve? Vinalles on pole.

Windmill

Forum Supporter

Marquez penalized from pole to second row for balking Vinalles(Tech 3). What is balked? A fake swerve? Vinalles on pole.

Vinny

Forum Supporter

He blocked while the other rider had a poke position run going on qualifications.

Jeff S

Forum Supporter
Hmm, I think race direction is getting a little slap-happy. Sandbagging during qualifying to prevent towing someone is commonplace, but he clearly did impede Vinalies, and on the racing line through an otherwise fast turn.

Marc and Mav were chipper and chatty in park firme after the qualifying, this didn't have a meaningful impact on either of them. Nor will the penalty, so we get to see a straight-up dry race today. I really hope Vin or one of the Andrea's can pressure Marc for at least a few laps. And that Cal can stay on the bike and stay competitive.

Logistical question: can anyone confirm if the T11 gate is OPEN for entering the track? I know you can exit through it, but I don't know if they have ticket-takers there. It's a LOT closer to the bike parking and makes getting to the T9 side of the track a much shorter walk. I'll give it a try, unless someone can confirm it's closed.