• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Motorcycle first aid training

I am working on a date, currently we are down to 2 possible weekends, March 31/April 1 or April 14/15. for the minute I have 2 people that prefer the first weekend and 5 people that cant make the first weekend, so It is probably going to have to be on the 14/15th April. There is room for several more people if you want to join.

Gary

I would like to attend if the Apr 14-15 dates are selected.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would like to attend if the Apr 14-15 dates are selected.

Thanks.

Terry, I will add you to the mailing list, there probably won’t be any messages until the end of the week, but you will be in the loop.

Gary

Count me in on the 14 & 15th as well please. I am still open for the other weekends too if things change.
I will also most likely talk one or two of my riding partners into joining as well.

Thanks everyone, NWKLR I will also add you to the email list, will send out details this Friday (1/26/18).

Regards Gary

Sorry everyone, there are 4 people that have not yet responded to my request for email address. Could you please respond, even if it’s just to say you won’t attend. I can then give the list of attendees to the company. I have reserved the weekend of 14/15 April for the training.

Gary

Not to shame anyone, but I am waiting to get the email address and phone number plus confirmation if you will attend. Please let me know ASAP as I really want to get this training booked before we lose the date:-

C_M_Shooter
Jetdr21
NWKLR

we are currently at 8 attendees and need 10 (so need 2 more names if one of the 3 above want to attend) to make this course happen.
If anyone else is interested in attending, please let me know.

Regards Gary

Not to shame anyone, but I am waiting to get the email address and phone number plus confirmation if you will attend. Please let me know ASAP as I really want to get this training booked before we lose the date:-

C_M_Shooter
Jetdr21
NWKLR

we are currently at 8 attendees and need 10 (so need 2 more names if one of the 3 above want to attend) to make this course happen.
If anyone else is interested in attending, please let me know.

Regards Gary

I'm too far out to attend but just wanted to say I think its great that your organizing such a worthy seminar.

Everyone, I just wanted to apologise for the apparent lack of progress, the Nurse that gives the training has been ill with the Flu and is a bit behind schedule. She is trying to get everything setup and I should have more details and an active WEB link for everyone later this week. Sorry for the delay.

Gary

Okay everyone, I do apologise for this taking so long, the nurse that gives the training has been sick (Flu) and wasn't able to set this up until now. Everyone that wants to attend is required to register before the course. for it to happen we require a minimum of 10 attendees. there are 2 courses, the basic course 18-100-28 and the advanced course 18-300-04.

Both courses are planned to start at 9:00am and will complete by 5:00pm with a 1 hour lunch break and a few coffee breaks as needed. Please bring your lunch as no food will be available at the location, drinks and coffee will be available!
The course will be held the weekend of 14/15 April, the basic course is on the 14th and the advanced on the 15th, the training will be held at 2268 County Road 852, McKinney. This location is approximately 5 miles west of McKinney on the US380 (very close to the intersection between Custer & US 380). If you have questions or need help, my phone number is 972 832 9602.

If you are interested in taking the course (either just the basic, or both the basic & advanced), please sign up as soon as possible so we will know if we have enough people to make it happen. If we can't get 10 people the Nurse will try to find a few other people to join and try to reach the 10 number, we will be limited to a maximum of 20 people, so I don't think we have any issues..
Remember this is a first aid training course, but with a specific focus on motorcycle related injuries, so broken bones, slings, accident scene management, etc.. You should all be thinking of taking a course like this if you ride Dual Sport where there is a reasonable chance one of your group will take a spill and injure themselves.. It pays to be prepared and trained.. Think of it as an investment for your future!!

Here is the link to register:- http://www.eiseverywhere.com/asm1810028

Thanks and hope to see some of you in April.

Gary

Last edited:
Okay everyone, I do apologise for this taking so long, the nurse that gives the training has been sick (Flu) and wasn't able to set this up until now. Everyone that wants to attend is required to register before the course. for it to happen we require a minimum of 10 attendees. there are 2 courses, the basic course 18-100-28 and the advanced course 18-300-04.

Both courses are planned to start at 9:00am and will complete by 5:00pm with a 1 hour lunch break and a few coffee breaks as needed. Please bring your lunch as no food will be available at the location, drinks and coffee will be available!
The course will be held the weekend of 14/15 April, the basic course is on the 14th and the advanced on the 15th, the training will be held at 2268 County Road 852, McKinney. This location is approximately 5 miles west of McKinney on the US380 (very close to the intersection between Custer & US 380). If you have questions or need help, my phone number is 972 832 9602.

If you are interested in taking the course (either just the basic, or both the basic & advanced), please sign up as soon as possible so we will know if we have enough people to make it happen. If we can't get 10 people the Nurse will try to find a few other people to join and try to reach the 10 number, we will be limited to a maximum of 20 people, so I don't think we have any issues..
Remember this is a first aid training course, but with a specific focus on motorcycle related injuries, so broken bones, slings, accident scene management, etc.. You should all be thinking of taking a course like this if you ride Dual Sport where there is a reasonable chance one of your group will take a spill and injure themselves.. It trains to be prepared and trained.. Think of it as an investment for your future!!

Here is the link to register:- http://www.eiseverywhere.com/asm1810028

Thanks and hope to see some of you in April.

Gary
Thanks for putting this together. I'll sign up tonight. Hope it makes.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

I'm very interested and would make the drive but am scheduled to work those two weekends with no ability to be out.
I'll keep an eye out for future classes.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Signed up and paid..

Many thanks, we now have 8 confirmed attendees, we need 10 for the course to run. The nurse has 2 people that would like to attend and would give us the required 10. She has agreed to give TWT riders 2 more weeks to sign up and will then ask her 2 reserve candidates if they want to attend.. sounds like this training is a go.. :eek2: of course we can be more than 10 so everyone is welcome to attend, even if we have 10 people there is room for more..

Looking forward to meeting everyone.

Gary

Last edited:
Just wanted to let everyone know that we are a GO!! We only got 8 people to sign up so there is room for more, but the course will run for sure!! Look forward to meeting everyone.

If you have any questions contact me by email gwaugh64@gmail.com

Gary

Just a reminder to all of you that signed up, the training is this weekend 14/15th April!! Looking forward to meeting you all.

Gary

The training will start at 9:00am both the 14th & 15th and finish at 5:00pm (probably earlier), so it would be good if people could be there by 8:45am to say hi and be ready for the training. There is secure covered parking available!!
The address is 2268 County Road 852, McKinney, TX 75071 and if you need to contact me for any reason, my number is 972 832 9602. If you have trouble finding the address, its about 200 yards from the intersection between US380 and Custer Rd, there is a large Wallmart at that intersection.

We will provide drinks and refreshment, but ask that people bring a packed lunch or there are a few quick food restaurants (Burger King, etc) very near by.

Regards Gary

Okay guys, I think I am missing one or two email addresses to send the pictures from the graduation ceremony. If you have not received any pictures from em, please send me your email address and I will forward the pictures.

Once again, a big thanks to everyone that attended. It was a lot of fun and I learnt a lot!! Now can I remember it all!! That will be the challenge.. :rofl:

Gary

Hi guys,

If ya'll don't mind, I'd love the hear the goods and bads of the class. I'm going to set one up in Austin, and need to decide between the guys ya'll used and the 'Expedition School' ...

I thought the class was very well presented from a riders perspective.. It was lead by a trauma nurse who was also a rider, so that is where it comes from.. It also teaches accident scene management, and what to do until help arrives.. It does go into more than just basic first aid. It also teaches how to use teamwork to manage a scene as well as if you are alone. It also goes into stuff unique to motorcycles like when and how to properly remove a helmet. Not really any minuses except having to drive 60 miles across the metromess each way..
Thanks again to Gary for setting this up and supplying the place..

Last edited:
As stated our trainer Michelle is an air vac trauma nurse who has seen more than her fair share of motorcycle accidents and injuries, she has a passion for riding motorcycles and that is where her motivation comes from to provide this training. She is clearly very experienced in medical trauma treatment, but despite some of the cold facts (dealing with dead bodies, etc) she did an excellent job at communicating the importance of each step, the reason why it is performed in a specific order and keeping it all upbeat and enjoyable. She presented a lot of information. I was a little dissapointed by the basic training as it was mainly watching videos, listening to Michelle talk and almost no practical hands-on, but lots of opportunity for questions. the second day (advanced) was much more interesting with lots of opportunity to practice what we had learnt in the Basic training and the new topics that where covered in the advanced training, she provided several medical dummies to practice on (CPR, splinting, etc).

There is only so much information you can absorb in 2 days and I thought the course struck a very good balance, you weren't left thinking you had wasted a lot of time, but you where also not left thinking there was so much information that you had already forgotten half of it by the end of the course. They have a few keyword acronyms that you learn and that really helps the information sink in and stick.. I thought it was a great use of my weekend, and whilst I hope to NEVER have to use the knowledge that we gained, I think it would be very valuable if I am aver involved in an accident scene. I highly recommend the training. Michelle also brought along another trauma EM (Called Chris) who also had a lot of knowledge and would explain things slightly different to Michelle and sometimes that would make it clearer, sometimes not, but they made for a good team and really wanted everyone to get the most out of the training..

I would highly recommend everyone do a course like this as it is so useful in the event you ever come across an accident scene.

Gary

I thought the course was a great use of my weekend. I don’t have anything to compare it to, but felt like it struck a good balance between theory and practice (within the limits of what you can realistically practice in such a course.)

The instructors brought a lot of equipment and a lot of supplies that we could see and put to use. That helped a great deal. There were videos, lecture, exercises, and scenarios. I really don’t know what else they could have added. We were able to practice breathing and a limited form of CPR on dummies, which was really helpful for me.

I don’t have any negatives to report. The people were knowledgeable, practical and efficient. If I’m ever the accident victim I hope whoever is with me has had such a course.

Back