• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Motorcycle GPS which one do you recommend

+1 Flipit

I still like to have maps on my phone for a backup. Then I only carry select detailed paper maps of the backcountry areas I can't navigate without assistance. That means the phone stays on me or in my tankbag and not up on the handlebars. For example, I don't feel the need to carry a papermap of the interstates.

It'd be cheaper to replace the phone.

The Montana is half the price of my phone to replace. Amazon has a Montana 610 for about $400. Plus the GPS unit isn't compromised by USB ports or sketchy mounts so it's less likely to need to be replaced. I suspect the water resistance of the Montana is better than any phone on the market too unless the latter is in a real fancy bulky case.

The Garmin maps are valuable to me but I keep them backed up in image files on my computer and on an SD card.

As a multifunctional device the phone is probably more important to preserve in the event it's needed to coordinate a pickup or something. A cell phone, dedicated GPS, and a PLB cover a lot of bases and add a lot of redundancy to a riders navigation system.

Last edited:
The phone I use for GPS is $159. They had one for $119, but I figured I'd splurge.

The phone I use for GPS is $159. They had one for $119, but I figured I'd splurge.
Cool, you do you man.

The only USB connector I haven't had fail on a bike is the one that I've ran into my tank bag and, at least somewhat, isolated from vibration.

If I were going to run a phone as a gps I'd set up a wireless charger for it.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Cool, you do you man.

The only USB connector I haven't had fail on a bike is the one that I've ran into my tank bag and, at least somewhat, isolated from vibration.

If I were going to run a phone as a gps I'd set up a wireless charger for it.

I had the same result till I started using these little gizmos about 30k Miles aig. I am shocked they still work... I have them on all my devices including my headsets.

My regular chargers would break about every 4K miles. Plus it is a hassle of plugging and unplugging very time you get off and on bike.

b16e9bf7f99c3de2665c1f7af61b1886.jpg

I had the same result till I started using these little gizmos about 30k Miles aig. I am shocked they still work... I have them on all my devices including my headsets.

My regular chargers would break about every 4K miles. Plus it is a hassle of plugging and unplugging very time you get off and on bike.

View attachment 268318
That's a good idea.

I've had the part the plug on the bike die about as often. They don't seem to appreciate dirt.

My solution was to wire up a 2 prong SAE connector to an old one. That's the one that's still going and I run it into my tank bag to charge things.

I'd imagine a, basically, hardwired USB cable with one of those magnetic adapters should be as close bulletproof as a charger can get on a bike.

View attachment 268318
Thanks, totally getting one of these.

Thought this might be a handy cross-post for this thread. Using a rugged smartphone and an international map/navigation app is probably the best solution.

I just stumbled into this. TT has a huge video series about the Montana.

Back