• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Motorcycle Grand Tour of Texas (2021 version)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your starting location makes a huge difference in the amount of overnight stops.
The high number of stops in the hill country are easy day trips for you, for me, requires multi night stops. I never got near Dallas, since all those are also overnight (unless I want to have a 14+ hour day).

Well, I ride an FJR and a Wing, and don't think anything of long days in the saddle. You're only two hours south of me, and much closer to some of the coast stops both years, and South Padre last year, which was one of my three overnight stops. As far as Dallas, depending on what roads you take, you're under 4 hours away, which is only about one hour more than me.

#mapsdontlie
#yougottawantit

Not that I need to announce my departure, but I'm done with the GTT, after 50 stop completions in 2020 and 2021. Too many sponsors, and David's late announcement, that the folks that finished at least 25 stops last year and this year weren't getting a logo patch this year, sealed the deal for me. I brought up the latter with him, mentioning that some folks may have more than one vest/jacket, and he said it wasn't a change at all in how the patches were to be sent out, and that for folks that want an additional logo patch, they'll be able to buy them at a later date in the online Tour shop. Riiiight....

It was a good run, and I'll miss the crappy parking lot of the Antelope Creek Leather shop in Borger, but all things must end! :lol2:

Last edited:
I saw the email this morning, I don't think the new list of stops is posted quite yet, but it did look like the vendor list got bigger. Not sure I will be participating next year either. I will see what it looks like when it comes out. :thumbd:

I saw the email this morning, I don't think the new list of stops is posted quite yet, but it did look like the vendor list got bigger. Not sure I will be participating next year either. I will see what it looks like when it comes out. :thumbd:
Yeah, after two years I'm done too. While I liked that the tour took me to spots I hadn't been before, I can just choose my own destinations rather than have to knock out a lot of stops I may not really be that interested in. Plus I won't be constrained by the tour's 8 month time frame. With year-round riding doable in almost all of Texas, I always thought that was ridiculous.

Still undecided on next year. It gives me an excuse to go riding when I otherwise may not go. I may pay to see the list. Linda doesn't want to ride it this year so I may do it and knock it out in 3 or 4 weeks.

The one thing for me is if I "pay" for it, it motivates me more to do it.
If I were retired and could go riding whenever, it would not be as much of an issue, but having to work limits when, how often, and how far I can ride. Having a set list and time helps me to go places I may not normally go.

The one thing for me is if I "pay" for it, it motivates me more to do it.
If I were retired and could go riding whenever, it would not be as much of an issue, but having to work limits when, how often, and how far I can ride. Having a set list and time helps me to go places I may not normally go.
I agree having a list is a good motivator and can help those who work and have other commitments better manage their time to knock the list out. For next year though, I think I'll try coming up with my own list by going through issues of Ride Texas, the Texas Country Reporter and Texas Historical Commission web sites, and other sources. I've even gotten a few ideas from the Texas Coop Power magazine (a little gem of a mag by the way).

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Hey, I can buy a logo patch and a rocker style for the 2020 complete finish!

1640962970260.png

I see where the 2022 stops have been published. There are the same old tired sponsor stops which I guess is hard to avoid, but there are some interesting new ones including a museum in Hobbs, NM, and it's a little less Central Texas-heavy than previous years. Still, I'm gonna pass this year, although I may end up visiting some of the stops on my own.

Linda doesn't want to ride along with me this year, but with 33ish new stops, some looking quite interesting I may still give it a go.

I see where the 2022 stops have been published. There are the same old tired sponsor stops which I guess is hard to avoid, but there are some interesting new ones including a museum in Hobbs, NM, and it's a little less Central Texas-heavy than previous years. Still, I'm gonna pass this year, although I may end up visiting some of the stops on my own.

Same. I had to laugh at David's comment:

Thank you to the 99.99% of 2021 tour riders who abided by the rules and communicated with me in a friendly and cordial manner.

99.99% of 1253 riders is 1252.87, so who was the 0.13? :confused:

Interesting final stats on the 2021 ride:

1253 riders
392, or 31% of the total, rode 25 stops or more, so received a patch or two
541, or 43% of the total, rode ZERO stops, so did nothing more than send in $30 each, for a total of $16,230.

For those riding it in 2022, best of luck, and keep the rubber side down!

Same. I had to laugh at David's comment:

Thank you to the 99.99% of 2021 tour riders who abided by the rules and communicated with me in a friendly and cordial manner.

99.99% of 1253 riders is 1252.87, so who was the 0.13? :confused:

Interesting final stats on the 2021 ride:

1253 riders
392, or 31% of the total, rode 25 stops or more, so received a patch or two
541, or 43% of the total, rode ZERO stops, so did nothing more than send in $30 each, for a total of $16,230.

For those riding it in 2022, best of luck, and keep the rubber side down!
99.92%, 99.99%, close enough if just 1 person.
I know there was at least one that gave him a hard time. He told me at the rally at the Y.O. that he had one member that had written a very angry e-mail because the person only took 1 pic in Coleman (there are 3 stops there) and he would not give them credit for the other 2 stops. He also said that person's mailing address was less than a hour from Coleman.

Also surprised at the number with no submissions. I wonder how many rode some stops but just did not report any?

Also, looks like registration is open now till Feb 28, and you can start riding as soon as you get your number placard. Still ends November 15, 2022

Last edited:
I’m on the fence about participating again in 2022. While I completed enough stops to be considered a finisher, I didn’t get all of them. And all of the stops was the goal. I’m surprised that the number of participants not getting even one stop is so high. I mean I understand that sometimes life gets in the way of riding plans, but 41% of people having that happen is shocking.

I’m on the fence about participating again in 2022. While I completed enough stops to be considered a finisher, I didn’t get all of them. And all of the stops was the goal. I’m surprised that the number of participants not getting even one stop is so high. I mean I understand that sometimes life gets in the way of riding plans, but 41% of people having that happen is shocking.

43%, actually. All of the stops was my goal in both 2020 and 2021, and would be if I was doing it again this year. But at some point in time, there is no need to visit a leather shop in Borger, Texas! :lol2:

I did make five suggestions to the organizer, for 2022 stops, and none of them made the cut. Oh, well...

43%, actually. All of the stops was my goal in both 2020 and 2021, and would be if I was doing it again this year. But at some point in time, there is no need to visit a leather shop in Borger, Texas! :lol2:

I did make five suggestions to the organizer, for 2022 stops, and none of them made the cut. Oh, well...
None of my suggestions were included either, but on the bright side if any had I probably would've been guilted into doing the tour again instead of trying my own thing this year ;-)

Depending on when you put them in, it may have already been "finalized".
I know at the end of September he said he had the rough list for 2022 stops down, he was just riding to the final few to check them out.
Some may end up on next years list.

I went ahead and signed up for this year again.
It will be harder for me to get even 25 with the increased mileage, but I think me doing this gets me more motivated to ride.
It will also make me stretch my legs and so some multi night, multi location ride. Never have done that before.

The thought of having to go to Borger for a 3rd time factored into my decision to skip 2022 :-P

What? You mean you couldn't wait to get back to that crappy, gravel strewn parking lot? And not in BFE, but within spittin' distance? :lol2:

What? You mean you couldn't wait to get back to that crappy, gravel strewn parking lot? And not in BFE, but within spittin' distance? :lol2:
Ha! I tried to make the most of it and mean no disrespect to the fine Antelope Creek Leather folks, but that's just not a ride I need to do 3 yrs in a row. Same goes for motorcycle dealerships located along interstate highways in densely populated cities. Enjoyed it both years, but time for a break.
Flag 3_BONUS stop Ride Texas.jpeg

Ha! I tried to make the most of it and mean no disrespect to the fine Antelope Creek Leather folks, but that's just not a ride I need to do 3 yrs in a row. Same goes for motorcycle dealerships located along interstate highways in densely populated cities. Enjoyed it both years, but time for a break. View attachment 311067

Ha! Paging through a Ride Texas mag this morning, and I saw that same picture. You points whore, you! <j/k>

I never did the stick a RT mag in a picture for 5 extra points thing. Weren't all riders supposed to get a free sub the first year, or did I imagine that?

Ha! Paging through a Ride Texas mag this morning, and I saw that same picture. You points whore, you! <j/k>

I never did the stick a RT mag in a picture for 5 extra points thing. Weren't all riders supposed to get a free sub the first year, or did I imagine that?
I got the extra 5 points. Didn't pay attention that I would get a free subscription. They would explain why I started getting RT in the mail a couple months ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back