• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Motorcycle Registration

Fight it.
If it's too far away to deal with personally, hire a local traffic lawyer. It may end up costing about the same but the point is to not give the state/parish the money for this false charge.
Seems like the officer used a verbal trick asking you for the registration. When you replied you didn't carry it, he takes that as an admission you don't have vehicle registration (which is not true).

All you should need to do is to send them an original copy of your registration receipt, which is provided to you whenever you registered/renewed your vehicle. That proves that the vehicle was indeed lawfully registered at the time the citation was issued. They might still charge you a nominal processing fee... seen that before. If so, just pay it and learn your lesson, as stupid as it might seem to have to put up with.

That said... TX law only applies to within TX state borders. The minute you enter another state, you are subject to that state's laws and regulations. If LA requires motorists to carry proof of registration, you're much better off having that paper receipt than to argue what Texas law requires. Frankly, it's not their duty to know what the other 49 states requires, but it is most definitely your duty to know - and comply with - their state law, if you wish to step foot on their soil. Other far away states may not be familiar with what a sticker on TX license plate signifies, but the paper receipt explains quite well whether the car is registered and when it expires. Me thinks the LA cop might just be wanting to throw the book at you. Why give them an excuse? It's just a piece of paper, pop it in the glove compartment or under the moto seat and save yourselves the hassle.

Last edited:
Have always carried it in every vehicle, easy reason is I go to the tax office to get it walk out put the sticker on the car, truck or bike and have the paperwork right
there put it in the glovebox or pouch with the ins and inspection paperwork all in one spot for each vehicle

My understanding is that you are required to carry your license and registration when operating any motor vehicle. I keep my registration and proof of insurance in a zip lock bag on the bike. The registration shows proof of ownership. The sticker on the plate shows that the vehicle, or the vehicle that you stole the plates from was licensed. You need the registration to "complete the circuit." I believe that is law in just about any state, if not all.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
There is no law in the state of Texas that says you have to keep or carry the proof of registration.
Driver License, YES.
Eventually I see carrying your insurance card as going away because all departments have the ability to look up that information and most already do it as part of a stop instead of trusting the paper you give them ( https://www.tdi.texas.gov/bulletins/2010/cc31.html ).

You are required to provide a regustration when stored in Texas, too. Most states do.

According to this you don't have to carry it. And I've never seen it in the traffic code either.

Thanks for the link! I think we're all knew the insurance requirement, though. Apparently, the KHOU legal guys say you do have to provide proof.

That said... TX law only applies to within TX state borders. The minute you enter another state, you are subject to that state's laws and regulations.

It depends. Have a friend that had a house in CA and NV and he would have all his vehicles registered in NV so he could tint as dark as he wanted and not have to display a front plate. CA could do nothing about it.

I'm betting this LA officer/deputy made a mistake. I know I've caught citations written by my guys due to mistakes.

All you should need to do is to send them an original copy of your registration receipt, which is provided to you whenever you registered/renewed your vehicle. That proves that the vehicle was indeed lawfully registered at the time the citation was issued. They might still charge you a nominal processing fee... seen that before. If so, just pay it and learn your lesson, as stupid as it might seem to have to put up with.

That said... TX law only applies to within TX state borders. The minute you enter another state, you are subject to that state's laws and regulations. If LA requires motorists to carry proof of registration, you're much better off having that paper receipt than to argue what Texas law requires. Frankly, it's not their duty to know what the other 49 states requires, but it is most definitely your duty to know - and comply with - their state law, if you wish to step foot on their soil. Other far away states may not be familiar with what a sticker on TX license plate signifies, but the paper receipt explains quite well whether the car is registered and when it expires. Me thinks the LA cop might just be wanting to throw the book at you. Why give them an excuse? It's just a piece of paper, pop it in the glove compartment or under the moto seat and save yourselves the hassle.
Not really...and I'm going to stick to personally owned vehicles not the commercial vehicle regs which contain all kinds of variants. There is the Transportation Interstate Compact that all 50 states are part of that require each state to honor the registration and many/most equipment regulations for all other states. Now...there are exceptions, but they are so far and few between that the average person will never encounter them.

This Interstate Compact is designed to prevent exactly what the OP described in his initial post. This is why some states have only one license plate/some have two, some have inspection stickers/some don't, and so on and so forth. Texas does not require a driver/owner of a privately owned, non-commercial vehicle to carry a paper document of any kind that describes the vehicle registration information. The license plate and windshield sticker confirm vehicle registration and can be checked by computer if the law enforcement entity suspects fraud or stolen...and of course in the case of a motorcycle, the license plate and plate sticker confirm the registration.

In Texas you're required to carry your DL and insurance confirmation document (proof of financial responsibility). There are some minor exceptions, like for a car that was just purchased and ownership has not transferred...paper dealer tag, just purchased from another owner who is not a dealer, etc. You should have a bill of sale and perhaps even the signed title in hand to confirm the purchase. And there are other minor issues but they are not common.

The Interstate Compact was a very logical agreement between all 50 states...now many decades old...otherwise you'd have chaos. Now, none of this prevents deputy dawg from Blowfly Hollow from writing you up for having green hair and riding a purple Grom, obviously, but his ticket is worthless. I do understand not wanting to go back to that jurisdiction to fight it, but let me suggest this. Call the city, county, or whoever prosecutor's office who would handle this case if you contest it. Tell them you have relatives, business, or whatever in the area of this jurisdiction so you're there frequently and don't mind fighting this silly charge. I'll bet at least a nickel that they will drop that ticket.

My proof of registration is the sticker on my license plate.

Your problem was driving in Louisiana with Texas plates.
I got stopped 5 years ago in Colorado, and chewed out by a very unpleasant state trooper for not having registration. I was back in CO 2 weeks later in the Jeep, and just in case, put a photocopy of the title in the glove box. But in the long run, you're correct - my real offense was clearly Driving While Texan.

Thanks for detailed insights. Obviously had it even crossed my mind that this was a thing I'd have simply carried the document. Having been stopped in many states over the years this is the first time this was ever an issue.

It was very obviously a money grab. Prior to actually being handed the ticket I was very cordial and respectful. Always am. After seeing this BS I voiced my opinion just because it felt good. I knew it wouldn't change anything and it probably isn't going to help my case getting it dismissed but sometimes you just got to get something off your chest.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

It depends. Have a friend that had a house in CA and NV and he would have all his vehicles registered in NV so he could tint as dark as he wanted and not have to display a front plate. CA could do nothing about it.

I'm betting this LA officer/deputy made a mistake. I know I've caught citations written by my guys due to mistakes.

This is correct; there are some laws that do follow you when it comes to vehicles. If you have to make a change to your vehicle to drive it through another state (tint, front license plate, lifted/lowered) then you get to follow your home state laws.

Not really...and I'm going to stick to personally owned vehicles not the commercial vehicle regs which contain all kinds of variants. There is the Transportation Interstate Compact that all 50 states are part of that require each state to honor the registration and many/most equipment regulations for all other states. Now...there are exceptions, but they are so far and few between that the average person will never encounter them.

This Interstate Compact is designed to prevent exactly what the OP described in his initial post. This is why some states have only one license plate/some have two, some have inspection stickers/some don't, and so on and so forth. Texas does not require a driver/owner of a privately owned, non-commercial vehicle to carry a paper document of any kind that describes the vehicle registration information. The license plate and windshield sticker confirm vehicle registration and can be checked by computer if the law enforcement entity suspects fraud or stolen...and of course in the case of a motorcycle, the license plate and plate sticker confirm the registration.

In Texas you're required to carry your DL and insurance confirmation document (proof of financial responsibility). There are some minor exceptions, like for a car that was just purchased and ownership has not transferred...paper dealer tag, just purchased from another owner who is not a dealer, etc. You should have a bill of sale and perhaps even the signed title in hand to confirm the purchase. And there are other minor issues but they are not common.

The Interstate Compact was a very logical agreement between all 50 states...now many decades old...otherwise you'd have chaos. Now, none of this prevents deputy dawg from Blowfly Hollow from writing you up for having green hair and riding a purple Grom, obviously, but his ticket is worthless. I do understand not wanting to go back to that jurisdiction to fight it, but let me suggest this. Call the city, county, or whoever prosecutor's office who would handle this case if you contest it. Tell them you have relatives, business, or whatever in the area of this jurisdiction so you're there frequently and don't mind fighting this silly charge. I'll bet at least a nickel that they will drop that ticket.
Not exactly... Here's the exact wording of the Compact:

excerpt from https://ballotpedia.org/Multi-State_Reciprocity_Agreement

M.C.L.A. 3.164 Compacts and agreements; contents; display of registration plates
Sec. 4. The compacts, agreements, or arrangements may grant to the owners or operators of
vehicles properly registered in the jurisdictions, with which made, privileges and exemptions
substantially like and equal to those granted by such jurisdictions to owners or operators of
vehicles properly registered in this state, and shall provide that the owners or operators of
vehicles registered in this state who have complied with all the laws, rules and regulations of this
state respecting registration, registration fees, taxes, fees and operation of motor vehicles within
this state, including owners or operators who comply with the provisions of any compact,
agreement or arrangement which provides for the payment of less than all the registration fees or
taxes otherwise payable to this state, when using the highways of such other jurisdictions, shall
receive substantially equal privileges and exemptions. The compacts, agreements or
arrangements may exempt the owners or operators of such foreign registered vehicles, using the
highways of this state, from the payment of any or all taxes, fees or other charges imposed by the
laws of this state, or may provide for the payment of a proportional part of such taxes, fees or
other charges, with such appropriate restrictions, conditions and privileges as the board in its
discretion determines to be in the best interest of the health, welfare and safety of the people of
this state. Before any owner or operator may become entitled to the privileges and exemptions of
any compact, agreement or arrangement, the person first must have his vehicle or vehicles
properly registered under the laws of the jurisdiction which the board, acting under section 5,
determines to be proper for his vehicles or under the provisions of any compact, agreement or
arrangement to which his jurisdiction is a party, and shall conspicuously display a legal
registration plate upon each vehicle so registered as prescribed by the law of his jurisdiction or
by the terms of any compact, agreement or arrangement, and the operator of each vehicle while
in possession and control thereof shall have upon his person a certificate of registration, or other

official evidence of compliance with the above requirements, issued for the vehicle.

The Compact allows for a lawfully registered and taxed vehicle in one state to be operated in another state. Basically, each state recognizes the license plate of the other 49 states. However... the letter of the law state that it is still the operator's responsibility to produce "a certificate of registration, or other official evidence of compliance with the above requirements, issued for the vehicle."

Feel free to argue - here or on the side of the road with the Banjo County Sheriff in Backwater, Mississippi - that that lil' sticker on the license plate is sufficient evidence of your compliance to all required registration, fees and taxation for the great state of TX. Personally, I'd rather have that TX Registration Receipt under my moto seat. Even in my car where there is the Window sticker, which should technically satisfy the most anal local LEO, I'd still rather have the TX Registration Receipt (with detailed itemized listings) in the glove compartment. The state of TX gives you one every year when you renew the registration, what better place to store it than in the vehicle?

The flip side of leaving the registration receipt in the vehicle are the warnings and tips we're given to eliminate any paperwork that has your home address in the car (where your garage door opener may be too) in case of an auto burglary.
Conflicting advice.

Well I called those thieving *@#$@@#$@ ***'s this morning. $230 for the 67/50. Certainly high but ok. And then another $150 for the 'Failure to carry Registration'. What a crock of ****! They said I could come by the court with it and they 'may' dismiss it but that's not guaranteed. They're pretty sure I'm not driving 400 miles to do that.

I've changed my mind. DEFUND THE POLICE!

Well I called those thieving *@#$@@#$@ ***'s this morning. $230 for the 67/50. Certainly high but ok. And then another $150 for the 'Failure to carry Registration'. What a crock of ****! They said I could come by the court with it and they 'may' dismiss it but that's not guaranteed. They're pretty sure I'm not driving 400 miles to do that.

My experience, yours may vary.

I decided to fight a LA ticket. Rode 350 mile roundtrip to Leesville to show up in court. Judge wasn't listening or sympathetic to anyone's pleas. He levied some fines almost double the original citation amounts. When a couple people complained he told them they should have paid it then. Come into his court and you'll pay for his time. One guy couldn't afford it and elected for jail time instead. I got up before I was called and got my name removed from the docket. Then went outside and immediately paid my original fine online from my phone.

Had a nice day ride on the bike there and back though so not a total waste.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

I had a similar thing years ago near Louisiana where I told the court that I would fight it. The person on the other end of the phone said, "Either you can pay it now or drive down here, talk to the judge and pay it then. Either way, it is fine with me." They know its a scam.

Also if any of you are planning on driving in Canada you will require a copy in all provinces and same thing for insurance card.

I noticed even on my ticket that the 67/50 wasn't marked as radar and I never saw the cop trapping. I am extremely vigilant and pretty effective at spotting these guys. He probably eye-balled me from somewhere and made up the number. Oh well, I'm pretty sure I WAS speeding so would normally take it like a man, be 100% respectful and pay the fine without complaint.

It's the BS other ticket that has me totally triggered. While I hate throwing $150 away it doesn't really affect my life but that scumbag doesn't know that. I could just as well been a laid-off covid guy barely making ends meet and the $150 could've been a real kick in the pants. They just don't care. It's got ZERO to do with to protect and serve and ALL to do with lining their miserable s**thole town government pockets.

Back