• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Motorcycle Safty inspection in Austin

Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Last Name
Haywood
Any recommendations? I don't trust my local Kwick Kar with my SuperT

Whats not to trust?
You ride it into the bay, they check the lights, horn, tires, VIN etc, then you ride it out.

They do not get on the bike.

Whats not to trust?
You ride it into the bay, they check the lights, horn, tires, VIN etc, then you ride it out.

They do not get on the bike.

Technically, the brakes are supposed to be checked, either by the inspector riding it if they have an M endorsement or the rider/owner if they don't.

Technically, the brakes are supposed to be checked, either by the inspector riding it if they have an M endorsement or the rider/owner if they don't.

That's what I'm told, they have to ride the bike. I'm okay with that, just want to know with confidence the person has some basic skills.

I've never heard of them riding a bike. I believe they can figure out if you used the brakes to stop at there place they know they work.

I use Shades of Texas in Cedar Park. They know how to check a motorcycle and you do the brake check ride yourself.

Yep... What WB said. I use sticker stop up on 620. They have markings on the parking lot and tell you to go 20 mph and stop between the markings.

Easiest spot is Alan's on North Lamar. In and out in 3-5 minutes every time. They don't ask to ride or inspect brakes.

5253 N Lamar Blvd B, Austin, TX 78751

I've never seen a motorcycle inspector try to ride someone's bike. They'll tell you to hop on your bike, accelerate to about 20mph, and pop the brakes. Then you circle around to the bay, sit on the bike, and flash lights, honk the horn, etc, while the inspector observes. Piec of cake.

The only place that I have seen them ride was at a Yamaha dealership. They had a large complex and would ride them to the service area in the back for inspection and back to the front when complete.

i showed up one morning at a shop with the 690 for an inspection. the guy looks at the bike and looks at me and says,"usually i'll ride the bike around to the back, but, uh, why don't you do it"

i pull into the bay and he's still looking at the bike. he says, "what is this anyway?" šŸ˜

That's what I'm told, they have to ride the bike. I'm okay with that, just want to know with confidence the person has some basic skills.
They don't have to, and if they say they do, go somewhere else.
In the inspection handbook (4.20.10(4)), it does say:
4. Autocycles and motorcycles shall be provided with adequate brakes on all wheels. Sidecars are not required to have brakes when braking performance of the motorcycle or motor-driven cycle is met. Motor-driven cycles and mopeds are required to have brakes on at least the rear wheel. During the brake road test, an autocycle, motorcycle motordriven cycle, or moped may be driven by its owner or operator with certified inspector observing the braking performance at the brake test area if the certified inspector is not licensed to operate a motorcycle, motor-driven cycle, or moped.(emphasis added)
So you may have some that argue they have to. If they push it and you don't want to go somewhere else, ask to see their Class M license. Most bike shops it is almost a given they have it, but bike shops tend to do more thorough inspections vs a quick lube type place.

Any inspection station can do motorcycle inspections (search stations here), some just don't want to, but they can do it (at least I have never seen on on the link that did not have "TLMC" under their endorsements).
They used to have special stickers and inspection certifications for the inspector for motorcycles and trailers, but since the state went to one tag for inspection and registration, all stations can do motorcycles.

Honestly, I take my motorcycles to my local Chevy dealership. I provide them a copy of my insurance card, I flash them the blinkers, head lamp, tail lamp, and beep the horn. I pay them the inspection fee and done.

The last time I showed up on my 1970 Trail 90, the inspector had me park it on the sidewalk and took me inside without doing anything. He took my insurance card, and after a few minutes, said congratulations you passed, it'll be $7.00. He said if I trust it with my life, then it's good enough for him, and he doesn't know all the exceptions and exemptions for a motorcycle that old.

Honestly, I take my motorcycles to my local Chevy dealership. I provide them a copy of my insurance card, I flash them the blinkers, head lamp, tail lamp, and beep the horn. I pay them the inspection fee and done.

The last time I showed up on my 1970 Trail 90, the inspector had me park it on the sidewalk and took me inside without doing anything. He took my insurance card, and after a few minutes, said congratulations you passed, it'll be $7.00. He said if I trust it with my life, then it's good enough for him, and he doesn't know all the exceptions and exemptions for a motorcycle that old.

I agree, if you take it to a bike shop there is a chance they might try to sell you a tire or some service. The shop is looking out for you for the next year, until the next safety sticker is needed. And they have the leverage, if you don't agree you may not get your sticker. If you are competent and can decide for yourself what is and isn't safe on your motorcycle, then taking it to a auto dealership may save the hassle of trying to convince someone you don't need a tire right then. Further, take it to a Harley dealership. By State Law, they have to do your safety sticker. But because they only work on Harleys, they don't really care what your bike needs.

I second Alan's on north Lamar. I get all mine done there since I moved to central Austin. You ride in the bay and they inspect. They don't ride.

I second Alan's on north Lamar. I get all mine done there since I moved to central Austin. You ride in the bay and they inspect. They don't ride.

This is very close to me. I will try them.

+1 to Alan's. The only thing they've failed me on (in the 7ish years I've taken bikes there) was a missing license plate light. Easily rectified with a little led hooked to a 9v and taped under the tail section.

Back