• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Motorcycles and Tractors

Reaction score
I had to replace the OEM ignition switch on my 1982 Ford 2810 tractor.

Switch 1.jpg

Considering the age of the tractor, I figured the switch was a rare Made in USA part, maybe Japan, surely not China.

Nope:
Switch 2.jpg

Lucas UK. Known among vintage Brit bike enthusiasts as the "Prince of Darkness" Gotta give credit due, it lasted for 38 years and thousands of turns before it gave out. :bigokay:

the back up light switch on my first Ford Focus was made by Lucas and only lasted two years.

clean that tarnish off the contacts on the back there it probably is still good.
I learned from my old Suzuki's that brass tarnish don't conduct electricity.

Lucas UK. Known among vintage Brit bike enthusiasts as the "Prince of Darkness" Gotta give credit due, it lasted for 38 years and thousands of turns before it gave out. :bigokay:
My 1971 Triumph TR-6 (cage) lost ALL it's lighting about midnight on my way home. Fortunately it was just a couple of miles and a full moon was out. Wasn't fun though.

Reactions: Tom
Had a friend with one of the rubber bumper MG’s and we were zipping along and he pushed in the cigarette lighter and smoke came pouring out from under the dash. Locked up the brakes and we dove out of it. The whole whole harness was chain reacting, dinky battery cable failed before it reached auto ignition temperature fortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My 1971 Triumph TR-6 (cage) lost ALL it's lighting about midnight on my way home. Fortunately it was just a couple of miles and a full moon was out. Wasn't fun though.

My TR4 was an electrical nightmare. The + ground made it a real ***** to put an 8-track in it. Luckily, I had a fiberglass top from a 4-A so I mounted the player and antenna in it.

There was something worse than Lucas electrical components. Back in the 60's FEMSA Spain made knock-off copies of Lucas components ( really bad ones). My Bultaco Metralla had such components. I truly wished for real Prince of Darkness parts. The headlight dimmer when switching from low to high and from high to low would take a full two seconds of darkness to complete the changeover. Pretty scary at 120 kilometers on a dark curvey Spanish secondary road😱 I just had to slow down to a near stop every time I made a headlight change.
Randy

Had a friend with one of the rubber bumper MG’s and we were zipping along and he pushed in the cigarette lighter and smoke came pouring out from under the dash. Locked up the brakes and we dove out of it. The whole whole harness was chain reacting, dinky battery cable failed before it reached auto ignition temperature fortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Reminds me of my first flight when I was getting my pilot's license. One of the school's Cessna 152s was wrecked in front of the place. "What happened?" "Landed on the railroad track." Then, during our flight there was a loud "Pop!" and smoke came out of the instrument panel. The instructor killed the main bus switch and brought us back to the field, looking very, very closely for other planes in the pattern.

I did complete my training there. A few years later, the owner was put out of business when his Apache lost an engine on takeoff and plowed into two T-28 Trojans parked near the runway. Tony had been using non-approved parts for years.

What key do you want in that switch , I have several different ones on the shelf , fits everything from a Mack truck to case backhoes , also have the wiring harness plug and terminal that connect to it . Plug and play in komatsu machines too . I swap diferent switches in machinery to slow down the thieves , when they get in a komatsu Tractor they never think to use a case key so they can’t start it .

Last edited:
Q: Why do the British drink their beer warm?
A: Because Lucas also builds refrigerators.

Why don’t the British make watches?
They haven’t figured out how to make them leak oil.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Oh, thank goodness! I thought it was going to be another shot at (K)ubota (T)ractor (M)otorworks

Those stinking KTM'S*. HaHa. As Cagiva 549 said, most tractor brands use the same key. You have a Kubota key, you can steal mine. I did not know that the ignition switches were that interchangeable.
* I only have one EXC250 (2 storke and B/A to the bone). One Penton 73' 175 (KTM) and a 1972 Penton 125 built by KTM with a Sachs power plant.
Long live John Penton!!! He is still kicking in Amherst,Ohio. Join the Penton Owners Group (POG) $20.00 a year

Back