• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Motorcyclist Killed

10-95

Inactive Member
Reaction score
This is from the Bryan-College Station Eagle newspaper. I had to work this one Friday. It was a bad one. Suffice to say death was instant.

After seeing this I am reminded why I always plan an out and always get to the inside or outside of the lane in stopped/stop&go traffic. Damage to the m/c was pretty insignificant. A hammer to get the rear fender off the wheel and a new front brake lever and I bet you could have ridden it home.

This one will be decided by the Grand Jury.

Updated July 18, 2003 11:59 PM

Blinn student dies in motorcycle accident

By HOLLY HUFFMAN
Eagle Staff Writer

A 23-year-old motorcyclist was killed Friday when he was crushed between two sport utility vehicles during a five-car pileup in Bryan.

Bryan Edward Mancuso, a student at Blinn College in Bryan, was pronounced dead at the scene. No one else was injured.

Bryan police said four westbound vehicles were stopped at a red light in a turn lane on Tabor Road when the chain-reaction crash started just before 8 a.m. Friday.

The line of vehicles — a Ford pickup followed by a Suzuki XL7 followed by Mancuso’s Harley-Davidson motorcycle followed by a Ford Explorer — extended into the regular lane of westbound traffic. As the vehicles waited to turn left onto the southbound frontage road of North Earl Rudder Freeway, a Chevrolet pickup slammed into the rear of the Explorer, police said.

The impact caused the Explorer to plow into the motorcycle and the Suzuki, crushing Mancuso between the SUVs, police said. The Suzuki also crashed into the rear of the Ford pickup at the front of the line.

No charges had been filed Friday against the driver of the Chevrolet pickup, 26-year-old Juli Lyn Conner of Brazos County. Police said the accident remains under investigation.

Mancuso, described by family members as a motorcycle enthusiast who loved his dogs, graduated from Bryan High School in 1998. He worked for Kent Moore Cabinets in Bryan.

Funeral services are set for 10 a.m. Monday at the Callaway-Jones Chapel in Bryan. Burial will follow at 3 p.m. in Forest Park Westheimer in Houston.
[/b]

Man, that's so sad. I try to take care to stop at least 1/2 car length from the corner of the car in front of me, and watch for the vehicle behind me to stop, but who thinks about looking for the vehicle behind that one???

Good tactic. I've seen lots of rear-ends at stop lights.

What a rip. If I get killed on a bike, I'd rather it be while I was moving. This is kinda like the soldier who dies in a car crash on his way home from a deployment in Iraq.

Several years ago I heard squealing tires behind me and looked in my mirror in time to see a Pontiac fiero sliding sideways right at me. I was on the left side of a left hand turn and dumped the clutch by instinct (or fear). I squeezed up between the driver's door of the car that I had been sitting behind and the curb. The driver looked over at me in shock and anger just as the Fiero plowed into the back of him.... I was very lucky that day and learned the beauty of lane positioning. It was plain old luck that day as I had never thought about where to sit at a light before then. I have thought about that ever since.

Wow, that's sad.

Food for thought though. You can bet I'm going to pay attention to lane positioning at light.

It tells you something if there was enough residual energy to move the car in front into the pickup.

How can there be no charges filed? Does that exclude traffic tickets? She rear-ended a stationary vehicle! At the very least a "did not maintain safe distance".

I always leave "LOTS" of room between myself and the vehicle in front of me. Often the vehicle behind me is pissed off because of my increased distance and will often get right on my ***.

However, I am not intimidated and keep a close eye in my rear view mirror for rear coming traffic. I have also had several close calls in the past and this tactic and planing an "out" has saved me more than once.

Any cjance this guy is related to the Mancuso's of the Harley dealership?

casimir said:
How can there be no charges filed? Does that exclude traffic tickets? She rear-ended a stationary vehicle! At the very least a "did not maintain safe distance".

Look at the original post again. The case will go to the Grand Jury and they will decide. Manslaughter is the most appropriate charge, however as in all cases, the police DO NOT decide if charges will be accepted. The prosecuting atty decides if there is enough to charge and brings it to the grand jury. The grand jury decides wether to "true bill" (enough to warrant a trial) or "no bill" (there isn't enough to go forward) and then a judge or jury decides guilt or innocence along with punishment.

If the GJ votes for a "no bill" a traffic ticket definitely won't make up for it. All a ticket would mean is money to the city, the fault for the accident is clear.

No matter what happens that driver is not only screwed in civil court, she has to live with that man's detah for the rest of her life.

10-95 said:
If the GJ votes for a "no bill" a traffic ticket definitely won't make up for it. All a ticket would mean is money to the city, the fault for the accident is clear.

Unfortunately, nothing can make up for it. While it drives me nuts to see people drive badly and cause accidents, there are times that a wreck is simply an accident, even if someone is "at fault". Seeing as how you can never make up for it, I often wonder if it is really worth trashing another life in the attempt? :? I don't mean to say there should not be some kind of penalty, but let's face it, something like 10 years in prison would derail anyone's life. I guess the remorsefulness and the degree of negligence would play into having an appropriate punishment applied. Unfortunately, it seems that more and more these days, there are a lot of people out there that would have little difficulty living with the death of this guy. :|

Tourmeister said:
, there are times that a wreck is simply an accident, even if someone is "at fault". Seeing as how you can never make up for it, I often wonder if it is really worth trashing another life in the attempt? :? I don't mean to say there should not be some kind of penalty, but let's face it, something like 10 years in prison would derail anyone's life.

Right now I can't comment on everything, but there is a LOT more to this. This is one that needs to go to the grand jury.

Maybe after it goes I wil be able to post details.

but there is a LOT more to this.

This would obviously be a case then of severe negligence on the part of the woman that caused the accident and thus perhaps more deserving of a stiff penalty. I would like to hear more when you are able to speak more about it.

What about the question of whether the guy was related to the Harley dealers there in town? Yes? No?

Back