• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Mounting a tire

Reaction score
Hi all,
I've been away awhile. I have a 79 xs750 special (triple). I'm trying to mount a rear tire, Shinko 110/90/18. Tire goes one easy enough but I can't set the beads. I've tried, with a warm tire, lubing the rim and tire edge, pumping the tire up to 80 psi and the beads don't pop. The rings one the tires edge at the rim are all even. There are no leaks.When I deflate the fire I can press on the side wall and collapse the tire. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. I never ran into this problem before???

Ok, thanks. Is it unusual not to have the beads pop? If I can press down on the side wall when the tire is deflated I can only imagine what would happen if I got a flat while riding???

Try a ratchet strap. This keeps the girls from growing bigger around and the force helps push the tire sideways. Probably not the best example but you get the idea.
in

it happens. Even with the few tires I've changed I have had it happen.
First thing it confirm the tire is the correct size for the wheel. Yeah it would have been a bear to spoon a 17 tire onto a 18 wheel but crazier things have happened.

You're doing the right things. Lube it up well, maybe go up to Ru-Glyde or similar product if you're just working with regular soapy water.
80psi is scary high already. I wouldn't go any higher.
You can try beating on it with a mallet or bouncing it against the ground but stay attentive to keep your fingers clear!
You can also try leaving it for a while if it is holding air. It may work itself out.

I always take valve core out and if I can use the blow gun attachment. Gojo non abrasive hand cleaner is a good lube for tire. It is water soluble. It will inflate and deflate fast with core out. Do this several times and I bet you giterdone. I wouldn't take one to 80 psi, that is freaky.
One other thing I always bounce the new tire on the rim off the floor all the way around before the first inflation. I only use a strap if they won't hold air and that isn't your dilemma you are dealing with. It helps to have a large tank air compressor on stubborn tires.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but are you saying it's seating and holding pressure, but you're just worried because it didn't "pop" when it seated?

If you dont have the a ratchet strap which works well. One method that works is to go ahead and inflate to more than normal pressure
then pick the wheel and tire up and bounce it on the tread with the area that the bead is not seated towards the ground usually a bounce
or two will pop a stiff sidewall on.

If you are getting it to hold air, don’t use a ratchet strap as it won’t do anything to help this particular predicament.

Can you take a picture of the inside of the rim in a way to show the profile? It might be that there isn’t anything for the bead to “pop” over.

Ok, I just ordered the beadbuster compound,. I am putting on a new tubeless Shinko tire, 110/90/18 on the rear wheel. I have tried lubing the tire and rim with soapy water, then regular dish soap, the Murphy's oil soap. I've let the tire lay in the sun for a couple hours. When I inflate the tire the beads don't pop into place. I have gone as high as 80 psi and nothing works. When I deflate the tire I can press on the side wall of the tire with my hands and it collapses. When the tire is inflated the rings on the tire at the rim are all even, there are no leaks anywhere at the rim of valve. I have tried the strap but it didn't work well. I have bounced it on the ground, beat the tire with a rubber mallet. When I inflate the tire I remove the valve core. I removed the tire and sanded down the lip of the rim just to clean it up and inspect the rim wihich has no dings or dents or cracks. The tire holds it just doesN't POP. I'll wait for the beadbuster compound to arrive and do it all over again. Thanks for all suggestions. This is just one of those pitass, never had it happen before.

I think your issue may be the 40 year old rim design i don't remember seeing to many tubeless tire for MC back then but everything I used had tubes in them at that time so this is just an idea, now shinko has not been known for there tires being made correctly have had my own fights with them but they are a good tire for the price point.

Not all tires pop. If it's seating evenly and holding pressure, you are good to go. Order and install a rim lock if you want peace of mind. Don't forget to balance.

Not all tires pop. If it's seating evenly and holding pressure, you are good to go. Order and install a rim lock if you want peace of mind. Don't forget to balance.
Exactly. And more importantly not all rims are designed the same. Some do not have that extra lip to mechanically hold the tire onto the bead. A quick photo of the profile of the wheel would show this.

Ok, I'll get a picture.
IMG_20210606_133923.jpg
IMG_20210606_134001.jpg

Last edited:
I hope these two pictures are good enough, I just didn't feel like taking the tire off again. If these don't suffice I' ok remove the tire. Than ks.

From that angle it is hard to tell, but you shouldn't have to pull the tire off. Basically, what you are looking for is this little bead hump to be there. The tire moving over that is what causes the "pop" that most of us are so familiar with when seating tires. It is quite common for older bikes to not have those and rely on tire pressure alone. It isn't really a big deal unless you get a flat while moving.

Since you aren't having any problems with the tire initially holding air, it isn't like you need to remove the valve core. Doing that, and the strap are tricks for getting the beads to widen out and give them the best shot at a seal without just leaking air all over the place. If you don't have those little bead humps and your tire is inflating with ease, lube it up just a tad (I always do this no matter what when seating as it just makes things easier), and then air it up. If the tire is sealing all the way up to the rim, and is even all the way around, chances are pretty good that you are all good.

Worst case, take some photos of the tire/rim area once it is all aired up and show them to us.

1623008790693.png

So does the tire come all the up to the wheel flange when inflated or is there still a gap?

Yes, the tire comes up. I'm going to work on it again Tuesday, I 'll get another picture and post it. My concern is riding and getting a flat.
I checked the rim again and it does not appear to have a bead hump. So I guess it I just fill the tire up I should be good to go? I'll still send a photo of the tire inflated on the rim. Thanks for all the help...

Last edited:
So, I checked my dear rim and did not find any bead humps. I mounted the tire filled it to 30#,no leaks. I took photos and attached the. The rings around the tire at the rim are all even all the way around the tire. Thanks for everyone help.
Bob l
IMG_20210608_161633.jpg
IMG_20210608_161615.jpg

My tube tires I put on Stinko 700 yesterday don't pop and seat. . They seat just like yours. I bet yours will be just fine.

Back