• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Mounting the Mousse

Reaction score
First Name
Buddy
Last Name
Slover
Well I decided after last Saturdays flat rear tire ending a fun day early out at Zars that since the KTM I purchased already had a mousse mounted in the front tire that I was done with flats
and ordered a mousse for the rear when I got home.

I saw all the posts on off road forums and saw the videos on you tube of what a challenge it was and make sure you have a friend to help and to have like 62 tire irons in place
but I boldly dove in figuring how bad could it really be???

Well, don't know if I just have a magical mousse mounting gene or if dumb luck or some other divine intervention decided to save impending disaster for when there was an
audience to witness and laugh and post photos, but the install went very smoothly used 3 tire irons and took no longer to mount than mounting any other tire other than putting
the lube in the tire before inserting the mousse.

Now off to riding never fearing a flat offroad again, although in a strange twist of Karma as I was telling myself how I was now impervious to flats I looked out the garage door to
see my Challenger sitting on a flat rear tire thanks to a roofing nail. Oh well out came the plug kit and all is well there again.

So now it will be said that it will be a terrible hardship taking the Moose out :rolleyes:

I'm calling dumb luck..
Just did front and rear install of michelin bibs into my Michelin starcross 5 tires
I had a hard time with the rear.

A tire changing station really helps if you're putting in new bibs with a stiff tire (or some c-clamps). Even with my Rabaconda I still use 6 tire irons. I use silicone tire shine as well as the tube of lube that comes with the bib. Some days are better than others. The one I'm not looking forward to is the rear tire on the trials bike.

A tire changing station really helps if you're putting in new bibs with a stiff tire (or some c-clamps). Even with my Rabaconda I still use 6 tire irons. I use silicone tire shine as well as the tube of lube that comes with the bib. Some days are better than others. The one I'm not looking forward to is the rear tire on the trials bike.
I found out the no mar doesnt work easily with dirtbike tires

I think the biggest key to an easy mousse install is to remember to compress the opposite side of the tire as you get to the last third of the install.
I do that by standing on the opposite side of the tire that I am trying to get on the rim as compressing the tire down gives you more bead in the depth
of the rim allowing the tire to stretch over the bead easier

Also use longer than standard tire irons for leverage

Back