• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Movie - Gnats, Knobbies, Bolts, Bullets & Boulders, The Thrashing of Best Laid Plans

Reaction score
First Name
Casey
Last Name
Fry
Movie - Gnats, Knobbies, Bolts, Bullets & Boulders, The Thrashing of Best Laid Plans

I finally got around to puting a video together from footage and photos taken on my recent trip to Arizona with Tourmeister and Tx Rider. I had 4 hours of video to sift through, so although my goal was a 10 minute movie, I was happy to whittle it down to 20 minutes; There was a lot of stuff, that while some might find it boring, I felt the video needed...

Music by Pink Floyd, which I felt was fitting since the satellite radio station we listened to on the way there seemed to play them every-other song, so much so that "Wish You were Here" ran through my head the entire trip... fitting, no?

I lost my wide angle lens for the helmet cam some time ago, so my apologies if the helmet footage seems slow and jiggly, and narrow.

I'd suggest you read the ride report, http://www.twtex.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18205 , if you haven't already, before the video, so that it will make more sense.

Be sure to view "original size" by clicking the down arrow in the lower right corner of the player. And now, for our feature presentation...
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3235269864005855387&hl=en

EDIT:
Option 2, I embedded it on a webpage:
http://www.clfry.com/video.html

Last edited:
Re: Movie - Gnats, Knobbies, Bolts, Bullets & Boulders, The Thrashing of Best Laid Pl

A picture is worth a thousand words, a video worth 10,000. Very good. :clap:

Re: Movie - Gnats, Knobbies, Bolts, Bullets & Boulders, The Thrashing of Best Laid Pl

:lol2:

Hilarious that the first half of the video is just from the FIRST day of seven days of riding!! Although, that first day or so did feel like an entire trip in and of itself! :doh: :lol2:

I swear, even in the vids, it does NOT look as steep and rough as it really was!! Nor does the looseness of the washouts come through in that gully at the beginning, hehe.

I had a blast... :flip:

Wow. Dang..... I wish I was there.
I feel like a caged animal with tears in my eyes.

I gotta stop reading this section of the forum. It's detrimental to my mental health..............

Nice vid. and trip. Really.

My company blocks video.google.com for some reason... but YouTube is fine and unblocked. Is there an equiv. link for another site that video is on for viewing? Or anyone hosting a .wmv file? I'd love to haev a gander.

My company blocks video.google.com for some reason... but YouTube is fine and unblocked. Is there an equiv. link for another site that video is on for viewing? Or anyone hosting a .wmv file? I'd love to haev a gander.
Don't know of another way to reach it... I have it on Google because they don't have a size limit; Youtube does, and this one's way too big... I'll see if I can find a "back way" to view it.

Great video. I am going to have to get some directions from you since this is only 3 hours away for me!!!

Wow, just now saw the video, nice work Casey.

Shine on you crazy diamond, shine on!

Epic ride! The original report has been one of my favs, but the vid really tops it off.:clap:

Mind sharing what your setup is?:-P

Fantastic journey....and spectacular choice of music. :clap:

I think I still have a few sore spots from that trip... :wary:

I still love this video; wish I was there.

Epic ride! The original report has been one of my favs, but the vid really tops it off.:clap:

Mind sharing what your setup is?:-P
Camera setup? I was using an old Canon ZR40 with an old helmet cam from www.helmetcamera.com . Unfortunately I lost the wide angle lens that came with it, so I was using a narrow lens... and after watching for the 1st time since making the video, I can say I'll be getting another wide before attempting to film another ride :puke: The narrow view exaggerates the jiggles and makes everything seem so much slower that it was...

Fantastic journey....and spectacular choice of music. :clap:
Thanks, but I didn't choose the music for the video, the music chose the trip; it stuck in my head on the drive up, so this is what was going through my head the entire trip :lol2:

About your DR....What mods have you done to make it capable of a trip like that?

Not much really. I cut a little off the front springs to stiffen them up a little (wasn't enough though) and collapsed a couple of coils on the rear to handle the extra weight. The problem there is that the shock was already underdamped so now it's really underdamped with the heavier spring... at least it doesn't bottom anymore. I made some rock guards and a heat shield out of sheet metal and steel stock to protect my bags, which were just 2 stuff-sacks and a duffle. Other than that I've removed anything that isn't absolutely necessary from the bike, made a dual headlight setup... tires - Kenda Trakmaster front, Maxxis M6006 rear... but I could've done the trip on a bone stock bike without a problem... the skid plate would have gotten a workout though :-P .

Yeah, my skid plate took a real beating... There are some serious dings in it. Then there is the whole ripped off footpeg/center stand thing... :doh: And then there was that hole on the back side of the berm that almost sent me over the bars, collapsed the rear suspension and almost ripped my rear fender apart when it caught on the knobbie :eek2: Ahhh... good times :dude:

Be sure to view "original size" by clicking the down arrow in the lower right corner of the player. And now, for our feature presentation...
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3235269864005855387&hl=en

EDIT:
Option 2, I embedded it on a webpage:
http://www.clfry.com/video.html

Hmmm... links don't work anymore... Still got the vid somewhere? I can stick it on my server and provide a link to it, but to watch it, users will have to first download it as I don't have any way to stream it.

Back