• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Moving - Finally

LoL, I expect there may be a few drop-ins from time to time. No pool house, but there's a guest bedroom almost as big as the master bathroom in the house we're selling. :rofl:

Help me out - what's a west sloper? Gotta learn all the new lingo.

Fortunately, we've been visiting Colorado for some 40 years now. We've had relatives in Aurora, still have a relative in Littleton, and I even have an old high school buddy from my brat days in Munich who lives a few miles away - and he has a VStrom! Anyway, we know the state's geography pretty well, and we don't pronounce Ouray or Buena Vista like the tourists do; to the locals, it's YOU-ray and BEU-na Vista.

Our across-the-street neighbors told us 4 years ago that, when Centennial was incorporated, they picked the name because it was about the time of the state's centennial, although I haven't been able to confirm that from official sources. Frankly, given the time frame, I suspect it might have had something to do with James Michener's book, "Centennial," which was about a fictional town in roughly that area of Colorado. But hey, that's just me...

Oh, the Jeep and the Honda are both AWD. And I've driven in Colorado snow, Texas ice, German blizzards, and Kansas City -- well, whatever that white stuff is there. Plus, being retired, I have no problems just waiting for the snow to melt. In the Denver area, that usually doesn't take long.

90% of the population in Colorado live east of the continental divide, the rest are "west slopers". I lived in Glenwood Springs for seven years, but I have to begrudgingly admit that I am an east sloper. It was also a liberal vs conservative thing. Votes on water use rights would always favor east slope, check out Moffat Water Tunnel. There have been votes to enlarge and improve through the years, that always passed. To read about it, the tunnel has been an amazing success, but the victors always write the history. :)

Colorado's nickname is "The Centennial State", so it makes sense to have a city named Centennial. I think the nickname happened before Michener's book? When I lived there, it was an Englewood address. I remember that it was quite a political football when they incorporated into Centennial. I think some of the old fogies may still be in denial. At one time just south a little bit there was an unincorporated town called Beverly Hills, now it's called Castle Pines. I suspect Beverly Hills was a little too redneck. My mothers name was Beverly, so that exit sign (not there now) would always bring a little smile. :)

Given your experience, I am sure you will have no problem navigating. But, what I remember is it was like bumper cars on the first snow of every year. People drove like they had never been on snowy/icy roads before. Given the transplants, may be they hadn't? After everyone got their "snow legs" it got better. If you can find yourself a coffee shop at a light with a slope, it can be entertaining. :) I don't know if your Jeep is a short wheel base or long wheel base, but if it is the short wheel base, be careful on the highway when it's icy. Those things swap ends faster than a wet bar of soap in a bathtub.

Let's see ... contacts ... contacts ... ah, yes there it is ... Tim Shefler ... Centennial :) Next time I am up, I will drop you a note.

... I recall when Centennial was just the airport, a great BBQ joint and lots of open land...

I remember Centennial Airport when it was called Arapahoe County Airport, but are you talking about the Trail Dust Steakhouse, where they cut off your tie??? :)

Congratulations Tim. Good luck with the move. I know you will get settled and be very happy.
I look forward to reading about your new experiences.
What a Blessing for you and your Daughter’s Family that you and your wife will be so close now.

Colorado native here. You will love it mostly.

We too are contemplating moving closer to our adult daughters. They are in the NYC area. We are considering Richmond, VA.

Congratulations,I don’t know you personally but you and your wife have done a great thing taking care of your mother. I don’t know if y’all had any other family that helped but hopefully they appreciate your efforts and thanked you as well. Taking care of aging parents is very difficult and very rewarding as well. Best of luck to you and your family.

I remember Centennial Airport when it was called Arapahoe County Airport, but are you talking about the Trail Dust Steakhouse, where they cut off your tie??? :)

Bennett’s bbq. It was on the north side of the airport. Trail dust was good too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But, what I remember is it was like bumper cars on the first snow of every year. People drove like they had never been on snowy/icy roads before. Given the transplants, may be they hadn't? After everyone got their "snow legs" it got better.

Honestly, I've been in any number of states plus one foreign country when the first snows of the year came. My observation is NOBODY knows how to drive in it. Once the street crews get into gear, and as you say people get their snow legs back, it does get better. So no, Texans don't know how to drive in snow. But if we're honest, apparently neither do Kansans, New Yorkers, and - surprisingly - Germans.

Honestly, I've been in any number of states plus one foreign country when the first snows of the year came. My observation is NOBODY knows how to drive in it. Once the street crews get into gear, and as you say people get their snow legs back, it does get better. So no, Texans don't know how to drive in snow. But if we're honest, apparently neither do Kansans, New Yorkers, and - surprisingly - Germans.

Das ist richtig, and neither do east slopers! LOL!

At one time just south a little bit there was an unincorporated town called Beverly Hills, now it's called Castle Pines. I suspect Beverly Hills was a little too redneck.

Forgot to comment on this earlier. I'm well familiar with Castle Pines, aka Beverly Hills, although I wasn't aware of the nickname. Our kids had been living in my Centennial house for the past 4 years. When they had to get a place of their own, they bought in Castle Pines, which is now an incorporated area. Frankly, I hate places with neighborhood associations and neighborhood zoning restrictions. Plus, their water is goshawful expensive there. But hey, not my problem. As Colorado living goes, Centennial is relatively cheap.

They do say that if you want to have a million dollars in Colorado, you have to start with 2.

Congratulations. Most of us dream to live by the mountains, you are living that dream.

Congrats! Not sure we've ever met, but we have a place in Breckenridge, a west-sloper. We plan to split time between Texas and Colorado to avoid the heavy snow and stupid hot summers. Maintaining Texas residency also helps with tax mitigation strategies.

Road Guanella, Loveland, Boreas, Hoosier, and Cottonwood passes in the last two weeks. Cottonwood last week was 45F and sleeting when I crested the top.

I don't know Boreas Pass. I know all the others have been up to them or over them in the Grand Cherokee many times. Looking forward to riding some of those places; most of them are a good long day loop from Centennial.

I was in Breckenridge 2 weeks ago, on July 3rd, with my kids. It was pretty crowded. Thankfully, most people were wearing their masks. It was fun.

Boreas is from Breck, just south of town go past the Troll, over to Como on 285. All dirt.

Congrats! Not sure we've ever met, but we have a place in Breckenridge, a west-sloper. We plan to split time between Texas and Colorado to avoid the heavy snow and stupid hot summers. Maintaining Texas residency also helps with tax mitigation strategies.

Road Guanella, Loveland, Boreas, Hoosier, and Cottonwood passes in the last two weeks. Cottonwood last week was 45F and sleeting when I crested the top.
View attachment 268871
Lived in Breck and Frisco for 2 years. Worked at Summit Hospital. Miss that lifestyle terribly. Used to camp multiple times a month, 4 wheeling, etc. Winter used to ski 4 times a week.

We just saw your grandkids the other day. They're great kids. We actually have to stop back by on the way home . . . I forgot to get the panniers out of my big cargo box.

Oopsie. Be sure to remember on the way back. That was actually the primary item you were carrying for me. Hope you & Shan are having a good trip.

Best of luck!
The only thing I miss about the midwest is the four seasons, and you'll get that for sure out there.
OK, also miss Iowa sweetcorn.
I always thought it was bizarre to see a Rudy's BBQ in CO Springs, but hey, a taste 'o Texas not that far away!

I always thought it was bizarre to see a Rudy's BBQ in CO Springs, but hey, a taste 'o Texas not that far away!

Every BBQ joint I've ever eaten in, in Colorado, appears to be owned by a Texan. In fact, there's "Texas BBQ" about half a mile from our house.

tshelfer, good luck on the move. I don't ever really advocate Texans leaving Texas, I mean, TEXAS for heaven's sake. But having gone and come back myself for my reasons, being a 5th gen native Texan, I understand sometimes you gotta follow where life has you go. Even if you do leave, Texas never really leaves you. Enjoy the next chapter, keep us updated.

Here's a weirdity I discovered in prepping for the move. I need to get the VStrom to Colorado, and the obvious solution is a UHaul motorcycle trailer, a 5x9 trailer with a built-in wheel chock. Here's the problem, though. UHaul doesn't rent motorcycle trailers for one-way hauls; those have to be returned and dropped at the pickup location. I kid you not.

HOWEVER, if you call their 800 number, UHaul will rent you a 5x9 utility trailer with a built-in motorcycle chock. Yes, it's the same size. Yes, it has the same capacity. Yes, it has the same wheel chock. But no, it's not a motorcycle trailer; it's a utility trailer that happens to have a motorcycle chock.

I have no idea why this makes business sense to UHaul, but there it is. So if you need a one-way MC hauler, call them and ask for the 5x9 utility trailer equipped a wheel chock. And you'll get ------ a motorcycle trailer. :loco:

I'm happy you can watch the grandkids grow up. I'll send you a Whataburger when you need one!

Don't overdo the lifting and moving. Stay well.

Back