• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Moving - Finally

Now I thinking Jimmy(famous Jimmy) from the Angelina NF has a twin brother who is a HP officer in CO! Hope the move works out!

Could be the same guy. Delta's not far from Montrose.

Only other time I've ever been stopped by a state cop was in NM, between Cloudcroft & Artesia. He got me at 66 in a 55, but gave me a break because the wind was blowing like crazy and I was legitimately having problems controlling the speed of a loaded bike, what with the road twisting, running in & out of dunes, & hill climbs & drops. I explained that & he let me off. Besides, he told me he had nailed a Camaro an hour earlier, doing 130! I guess he was feeling benevolent because he had already bagged his daily limit, so to speak.

I think I'm beginning to recognize where the problem is. :trust::lol2:

Congrats!

I'm jealous. We tried to do the same but our roots here are too deep and we didn't reach escape velocity.

Hope you really enjoy it up there.
Ditto! My cajun wife's family that has us still here. Otherwise,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Tomorrow is D-Day. The bike is loaded on the trailer. The movers came & went. We spent 2 1/2 hours cleaning like our way out the door. Tomorrow morning, we'll pick up the Jeep/trailer from the house and hit the road. By tomorrow night, we should be at our kids' place in Castle Pines.

PS- We live on a court. Check the picture of the driver backing a 50+ footer back down the court and around the corner. We had a really good crew, fast & efficient, and clearly a driver who knows how to handle his rig.

Attachments

• move18.jpg
    move18.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 159
  • move13.jpg
    move13.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 159
I did have this bit of fun yesterday, as we were moving. The motorcycle trailer threw a tread just outside of Chillicothe, so we took an hour and a half break at an Allsups while we waited for a tire guy from Quanah to show up. He was nice, and quick and efficient, replacing both tires for safety.

Just so you know, if you call UHaul's roadside assistance line, expect to wait 20 minutes. If you try to use their assistance website, you'll quickly learn that it isn't phone friendly.

We also ran into a ton of rain that I didn't see in the forecast. Showers across Texas, torrential rain in Raton Pass. I don't hold out much hope for the vacuum cleaner that was riding in the back with the VStrom.

Attachments

• tire.jpg
    tire.jpg
    138.6 KB · Views: 136
If the tire is the worst that happens on this monumental task, you are reaping your blessings! Continued safety and good fortune!

And if you can..... shoo some of that rain down my way, eh? Even the popcorn farts have dried up here.

Hopefully the Gulf of Mexico will send you guys some rain down south on the coast, we don't need any here on the upper coast. Nor the wind, nor the power outages, nor the,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Actually Dave, despite the rain I drove through on the way up, northern Colorado is dry as a bone right now. There are some serious wildfires, resulting in I-70 being closed through parts of Glenwood Canyon. I also drove past a pretty heavy brush fire somewhere north of Walsenburg.

Actually Dave, despite the rain I drove through on the way up, northern Colorado is dry as a bone right now.

And as I went out to start a brisket this morning, I heard thunder and saw lightning. And then it rained. A lot!
I don't remember seeing that in a forecast, so you get the credit! Thanks Tim!! :thumb:

Right now it would just be pictures of stacks of boxes. Still getting organized. Downsizing is hard!

No pictures of the new place, didn't happen. :Lol2:

Well, just for fun, here are pictures of stacks of boxes. At our old house in Arlington. This is what it takes to get packed, and get a moving van loaded, after 28 years in the same home. By the way, me growing up Army, this is by far the longest I've ever lived in one home.

Attachments

• move1.jpg
    move1.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 130
  • move2.jpg
    move2.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 137
  • move3.jpg
    move3.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 128
  • Move4.jpg
    Move4.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 130
  • Move5.jpg
    Move5.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 125
  • move11.jpg
    move11.jpg
    266.7 KB · Views: 125
  • move13.jpg
    move13.jpg
    129.8 KB · Views: 129
  • move16.jpg
    move16.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 126
  • move17.jpg
    move17.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 133
This is a last look at the house we called our home for 28 years - where we raised our daughter, helped our grandkids get their start, cared for my parents for the last years of their lives.

I walked into an empty house in 1992, and this is the money shot that immediately sold me on the house. I'm glad it's going to a young couple who wanted an older house, with some character, in an older, established neighborhood.

Goodbye, beautiful house.

Attachments

• move19.jpg
    move19.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 143
And so the movers arrive with all our worldly possessions - that is, the ones, we didn't sell or toss because we knew they wouldn't fit in this much smaller Colorado home. We got a few surprises. The guest room is downstairs and it turns out the stairwell is too small for a 54" box spring to make the turn at the landing. So we'll be using an inflatable bed instead. Anybody want a free mattress & box spring? Bring a trailer & pick it up in Centennial, Co.

Attachments

• movig22.jpg
    movig22.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 130
  • moving21.jpg
    moving21.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 127
I slept on an inflatable in Iowa during the long fix up of the old home there, and with a pad on top, the airbag was not bad at all!
And of course, it takes minutes to take down in case the room is needed for.... oh say..... a workbench for... oh say.... motorcycle stuff? :trust:

I slept on an inflatable in Iowa during the long fix up of the old home there, and with a pad on top, the airbag was not bad at all!
And of course, it takes minutes to take down in case the room is needed for.... oh say..... a workbench for... oh say.... motorcycle stuff? :trust:

The 4 years my kids lived in this house, the guest bed was a queen-sized inflatable, and that's what we slept on when we came up to visit. I was quite comfortable except that, in the cool basement air, it was never warm enough. We usually ended up putting about 3 quilts under the sheets to remedy that.

hoping that you had a view of some East slope mountains from your place. Still about 13 hours closer, than us, lol.

In pure square footage, we went from 2550 sq ft (4 bedrooms 2 living spaces) to about 1960 sq feet (4 bedrooms, 2 living spaces). But it's more complicated than that. We also went from a beautifully designed custom ranch style to a lower end tract home, not particularly well laid out, that actually began life as a 2-bedroom crackerbox house. The basement was later finished out to add 2 bedrooms, a second bath, and a fairly large 2nd living area. Of course, a substantial amount of space is lost to the stairwell on both floors. There's a decided lack of storage in the house. Come spring, I'll be putting a tool shed in the back yard so that I can reclaim my garage for the cars.

Slowly but surely, we're managing to put things away and clear the boxes. But I'll probably spend the next year deciding which books (I have about 12 boxes full) to keep, and which to donate. We're going to have to think smaller.

My wife is taking 1 1/2 bedrooms for her crafting hobby & business, and I get half the downstairs living area for a combination office & music studio. The other half of the same room (it's pretty substantially sized) is where I set up the larger TV along with my Denon 5.1 receiver and a bunch of speakers. I've already installed a stair chair so that she can make it up & down the steep steps without completely ruining her already bad knees. For me, it's just a different form of exercise.

By the way, the state of Colorado has arranged this little welcoming party for us. I guess this is Colorado's way of saying "Yeah, we've heard all about your crazy Texas weather; now shut up!"

Back