• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

MSO to title - not the original owner

Reaction score
First Name
Sander
I found a dirt bike I'm interested in, the original owner only has the MSO for it in his name. Since I want to make it street legal, IE plate it, I need a title.

Anyone have any experience getting a title with an MSO, that isn’t the original owner? Advice?

Purchase on condition that the original owner titles it. Go with him to the tax office and make sure it is done. Then when title is received it is handed over to you so it can be transferred. Better yet, owner could use your mailing address so it comes directly to you.

Anyone have any experience getting a title with an MSO, that isn’t the original owner? Advice?

yea, if the mso was written in / printed by dealer to the original owner's name & address, but your seller's NOT the orig. owner, that MSO is no good.

The most straightforward way of looking at this is: any time you need to apply for a change in vehicle Title in Texas, you will need to provide two(2) documents:

1. Form 130-U. On it, the previous owner (whether it is a dealer or an individual) needs to be clearly spelled out, with an accompanying original signature.

2. Title or MSO to proof that the precious owner actually owns the vehicle. Name on Title/MSO (Business entity or private individual) must match 130-U. Off by 1 letter, and you are SOOL. Original signature must also match.

Title/MSO cannot show ownership transfer more than once, unless it was resold by a registered dealer. A private owner must apply for new Title first, via Form 130-U, before selling the vehicle.

Hopefully you have not bought the vehicle yet. In any case, get the PO to apply for Title first. Then you can do the transfer the right way.

The most straightforward way of looking at this is: any time you need to apply for a change in vehicle Title in Texas, you will need to provide two(2) documents:

1. Form 130-U. On it, the previous owner (whether it is a dealer or an individual) needs to be clearly spelled out, with an accompanying original signature.

2. Title or MSO to proof that the precious owner actually owns the vehicle. Name on Title/MSO (Business entity or private individual) must match 130-U. Off by 1 letter, and you are SOOL. Original signature must also match.

I'm not 100% sure about this. The past three scooters I bought were all lacking the seller's signature on the 130-U, and the tax office never asked for it. One required a bonded title, there was no title at all. One had a signed TX title but no signed 130-U, and the third had a signed and notarized Oklahoma title.

I think you can just go bonded title with no seller signature or title at all.

.....One required a bonded title, there was no title at all. One had a signed TX title but no signed 130-U, and the third had a signed and notarized Oklahoma title.

on the one that req'd a bonded title....did you know before hand that you needed a bonded title before going into the tax office?
And if the tax office told you since there's no title, then here's the bonded title option...did they process all the bonded paperwork right there for you, or did you have to go find a special place to get the bonded title, and then return back to office? I'm clueless as to how this bonded title thing works.,..

on the one that req'd a bonded title....did you know before hand that you needed a bonded title before going into the tax office?

Yes. The title was missing in its entirety.

And if the tax office told you since there's no title, then here's the bonded title option...did they process all the bonded paperwork right there for you, or did you have to go find a special place to get the bonded title, and then return back to office? I'm clueless as to how this bonded title thing works.,..

There is a big thread on this here on TWT, I'd recommend looking it up.

You can see the official process here:

IIRC it was like this:
- get bill of sale, fill out form VTR-130-SOF, take that to the TX DMV office in person, pay the $15 fee, they give you a VTR-130-ND form signed by the agent
- purchase a bond in the amount specified on the VTR-130-ND from some surety bond outfit
- get the vehicle inspected, buy insurance
- take the VTR-130-ND, the bond, the inspection report and the proof of insurance to the local tax office; pay the taxes and fees and they will issue you a license plate and register it with bonded title
- bonded title comes in the mail a month later

Reactions: Dao
I'm not 100% sure about this. The past three scooters I bought were all lacking the seller's signature on the 130-U, and the tax office never asked for it. One required a bonded title, there was no title at all. One had a signed TX title but no signed 130-U, and the third had a signed and notarized Oklahoma title.

What I described is per the standard procedure for the TX Tax Assessor's Office. If you are lucky and the window clerk at the tax office isn't a stickler to the rules or doesn't know any better, you might get away with one thing or another. I've probably Titled/registered some 30 vehicles in the past 12yrs or so, and they don't always throw the book at me. Still, the last time I tried to title & register a brand new bike I bought from an Oklahoma dealer, the tax assessor's office lady refused to process my 130-U, because the dealer's DBA name was spelled slightly differently than what was on the MSO. I had to go back to the dealer and ask them to fill out a new 130-U form, sign it, and FedEx the package to me. That wasn't the only nit she picked either. Ended up requiring 4-5 trips to the Tax Office, FedExing docs back and forth, plus phone calls and emails. Major waste of time and a royal pain in the sciatica. After that, I've learned to dot all the i's, cross all the t's, and not count on my luck at the Tax Office.

And, of course, you can go the Bonded Title route. I've bought a bike with a bonded title once. Actually worked out in my favor because I convince the PO to sell for lower price because if it. I waited the requisite 3yrs before converting back to clear TX title. Without the proper docs... unless the bike is a superb deal, I'd rather avoid having to go through the hassle applying for a Bonded Title. It is at least a day's worth of running around. All depends on what your time is worth.

The mso has the original / current owner's name, signature and out of state (second home) address on it. Nothing was ever processed, nor does he have any interest in doing so.

I passed on it, I have enough issues without adding another one, there will be another 300 that comes along.

Plus I already own the best and most reliable trail bike ever made.

Attachments

• PXL_20220115_033622830.jpg
    PXL_20220115_033622830.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:
And, of course, you can go the Bonded Title route. I... I waited the requisite 3yrs before converting back to clear TX title. Without the proper docs... unless the bike is a superb deal, I'd rather avoid having to go through the hassle applying for a Bonded Title. I

I think it's 2 years now. And there's significant expense, especially for a really cheap (or in my case, free) bike. Paying ~$300 in fees and the bond plus a whole work day's worth of time seems pretty pricey for a free scooter that came to me in a hundred pieces.

The mso has the original / current owner's name, signature and out of state (second home) address on it. Nothing was ever processed, nor does he have any interest in doing so.

I passed on it, I have enough issues without adding another one, there will be another 300 that comes along.

Plus I already own the best and most reliable trail bike ever made.
Yeah, the PO can go convert the MSO to a clear title, but unless he can provide proof that he bought the bike less than 30-days ago, Tax Office is going to charge him $25 late fee, plus $25 for every month it was late. https://www.txdmv.gov/sites/default/files/body-files/titlepenaltiespressrelease_4.pdf

I'd say it's a pretty solid "not worth it" for him.

The MSO is the start of the paper trail. I was told that if the MSO was not processed, a Bonded title is not possible. Sounds like a major headache.

You shoulda pulled the trigger on that white husky :coffee:

:lol2::lol2: j/k...naw you did real good going w/ the ktm

i'll tell you why....

------------------------------------------------------

better yet, let me show you what i personally witnessed on an easy ride through some thick woods where the backend of a buddys husky swapped around and it smacked sideways into a tree...bike on the far left ...you see it?
20180316-103445.jpg

That hit blew the subframe into pieces.
I thought the husky's plastic/composite subframe's stronger than the alum ones on the KTM....heck any subframe shoulda easily survived a bounce off a tree.

20180316-103508.jpg

$750 for a new replacement parts, and he's back on the trails again.
20180316-175915.jpg

Back