• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

muffler packing material?

Reaction score
I wanna repack the TEC muffler on my Triumph. It's always sounded bad, the one I had before it also sounded bad, hoping maybe more/denser/better packing will improve things.

Any recommendation on material? Is there really any difference between regular fiberglass insulation and the stuff they sell specifically for motorcycles? What about these ceramic-wool type insulation mats like this?

Again, I'm looking for maximum sound reduction here. I figure the ugly sound of my exhaust will only get better if it is quieter.

Ceramic wool is the better stuff. As for quieter, that depends on the can design more than the packing. If old stuff is worn out or plugged, new packing will help.

Ceramic wool is the better stuff. As for quieter, that depends on the can design more than the packing. If old stuff is worn out or plugged, new packing will help.

I think it might just be the old stuff (original packing, maybe 2K miles on it?) might be just inadequate or too little packing. IDK. Haven't had it apart yet.

Use straw. What's the worst that could happen? :lol2:

Last edited:
Don't anyone laugh. For a bazillion years I've been going by a new home construction site and pick up a couple of feet of wall insulation that they have in the trash pile. Works great. I figure it has to have some type of heat rating. And I get it for free.

Back