• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Mum-mum-mum-mah 2021 Honda Trail 125

Reaction score
The day has finally come! I pulled the trigger on a 2021 Honda NC750X DCT today. After months of trying to figure out what I would want to buy - I thought I wanted something "special," I ended up buying what I really want. Sure it's no X ADV 750 but that bike gave me an appreciation for a "do-it-all" bike. It's not fancy looking, it's not fast but hey, neither am I. I'll add a center stand, a top box and a taller screen soon. My goal is to take a long, long trip this summer. I can't wait.

FDOtdDcWQAAi4JF?format=jpg&name=large.jpg

Congrats. We enjoyed our 2012 NC700X DCT. My daughter still talks about it. Just a fun, low stress bike to ride.

I mean, it's low stress unless you take it on the Continental Divide like a crazy person or something.

I have a soft spot for that bike. I've always wanted to ride a 750cc one just to see how diff it is from the one we had.

Congrats. We enjoyed our 2012 NC700X DCT. My daughter still talks about it. Just a fun, low stress bike to ride.

I mean, it's low stress unless you take it on the Continental Divide like a crazy person or something.

I have a soft spot for that bike. I've always wanted to ride a 750cc one just to see how diff it is from the one we had.
I had a 2016 NC700X for a while. It was the manual model. I later bought an X-ADV 750 which shares the same engine and frame. The X-ADV (and the new NC750X) had an extra 5 HP over the 700 and you could definitely tell the difference. The 2021 model has yet another 3-4 more HP over the previous model. Should make a great bike even better.

Splendid. Did you buy from Mancuso SW? If so, how did they treat you?

I regret that I did not buy a GROM.

Splendid. Did you buy from Mancuso SW? If so, how did they treat you?

Mancuso doesn't have one. There are no DCT NCs in Houston, San Antonio, or Austin (to my knowledge). I bought it from Maxim Honda in Dallas. Given the current market, I got a good deal. I am doing a fly and ride Saturday morning. It's the best way to get acquainted with each other.

I went to BMW Mancuso last weekend and almost bought an R Nine T Pure. But it was missing something. Plus I remembered the Urban G/S and the Racer I had back to back in 2018 and I thought it was time to move on to something else.

Edit: I find it increasingly hard to find a bike I want in stock form. I think the manufacturers do that on purpose. The European brands seem especially good at it. Motorcycles have gone the same way cars have: you get a base version and then you have to make changes to it to fit you. It's annoying. I am not even talking about the lack of a center stand. It's everything: handlebar, seat, controls. And more: comfort package, touring package, sport package, push button this, push button that. I looked and looked at Triumph and couldn't make any the bikes I would have liked work without spending a couple of grands. Same for BMW and Moto Guzzi. I looked at older bikes and had similar issues: over priced and run down. BMW did some pretty weird things with wheels in the '90s. How do you explain that some R1100R have a 17" front and an "18 back on some models and an 18" front and a 17" on the back for other models? That makes no sense. Away with the 18/17 wheel combo! In my book, a bike should have 17/17 or 19/17 (for road bikes). Okay, I'm done. Plus I think I see some kids on my lawn I gotta go yell at.

Last edited:
Congratulations. I looked at one at my local dealer. I really liked the helmet storage in the false gas tank. That is a really neat feature.

Congratulations on the new bike and enjoy that get acquainted ride!

I bought both my Yamaha ST1200 and FZ07 from Maxim Honda in Dallas, both events where trouble free and the dealer treated me well, hope you have an easy time. Congratulations on the new purchase, always fun to have a new toy, but it's a bit early for Xmas!! :)

Gary

I bought both my Yamaha ST1200 and FZ07 from Maxim Honda in Dallas, both events where trouble free and the dealer treated me well, hope you have an easy time. Congratulations on the new purchase, always fun to have a new toy, but it's a bit early for Xmas!! :)

Gary
It's an early birthday present :rider:. The big Five-O :eek:. Same month as Christmas though :lol2:

Edit: I find it increasingly hard to find a bike I want in stock form. I think the manufacturers do that on purpose. The European brands seem especially good at it. Motorcycles have gone the same way cars have: you get a base version and then you have to make changes to it to fit you.
I disagree with this on cars. Auto manufacturers have increasingly made it more and more difficult for you to configure the vehicle for you outside of the options they offer you direct from the factory. There is no bigger example of this than in the car stereo. Everything is integrated these days making customization so difficult. Need a lift kit? That auto leveling system is going to mean you can't do it or it'll be much more expensive. And now it's getting worse with electric cars and software, to get an upgrade you have to pay the manufacturer to take off the limiters they put in the software so they can make more money.

Thankfully motorcycles at least let you customize them, so long as you don't have to deal with canbus crap. ;)

But this does diverge the subject greatly. :D

I disagree with this on cars. Auto manufacturers have increasingly made it more and more difficult for you to configure the vehicle for you outside of the options they offer you direct from the factory. There is no bigger example of this than in the car stereo. Everything is integrated these days making customization so difficult. Need a lift kit? That auto leveling system is going to mean you can't do it or it'll be much more expensive. And now it's getting worse with electric cars and software, to get an upgrade you have to pay the manufacturer to take off the limiters they put in the software so they can make more money.

Thankfully motorcycles at least let you customize them, so long as you don't have to deal with canbus crap. ;)

But this does diverge the subject greatly. :D
I don't disagree but try and find a base BMW GS. You would pretty much have to order one because most dealers will only get the fully equipped version. I actually asked about a base R Nine T Pure without the electronics package and I was told it would be 8 months minimum. Yes the pandemic plays into the amount of time it takes but no one carried a base Pure. Having said that, I'm the guy who bought a less than 60 HP bike with 4 riding modes. Oh the irony. :lol2: You'd think Honda would have added cruise control to a bike which makes a good tourer but no. But 4 riding modes, though! :loco::lol2:

Seems to me, in Houston: moto dealerships just don't have much inventory?

I may sniff seriously at a Ducati new Monster next year. The new Guzzi V100 also has my interest. And sometimes I think a small lighter bike would just be fun. Enjoy that Honda!

Seems to me, in Houston: moto dealerships just don't have much inventory?

I may sniff seriously at a Ducati new Monster next year. The new Guzzi V100 also has my interest. And sometimes I think a small lighter bike would just be fun. Enjoy that Honda!
Thanks!

Houston shops don't have a lot right now.

The Moto Guzzi definitely has my attention. I will revisit in a couple of years and see how the new water cooled bike performs.

Nice! I think the NC750 is a very practical bike. Probably a little to practical for many so it gets overlooked a lot.

Worst: Suspension: Honda has taken a huge step back by lowering the bike. I will have to sort it out.
They lowered it? That bike was already pretty close to the ground.

In general, that's my gripe about the lower priced Honda bikes. I like what they offer, but they all seem to require big money in suspension work after you buy it to make it really functional.

Where as some other brands will include passable suspension in their equivalent models for around the same price.

Examples:
CB500X vs 390 Adventure
CFR250L vs. WR250R

Both of the non-Honda bikes listed above have noticeably better suspension in stock form.

But if you want DCT, they are the only ones that have got it. And suspension is easily fixable.

How does the new motor feel compared to the NC700X?

Last edited by a moderator:
They lowered it? That bike was already pretty close to the ground.

In general, that's my gripe about the lower priced Honda bikes. I like what they offer, but they all seem to require big money in suspension work after you buy it to make it really functional.

Where as some other brands will include passable suspension in their equivalent models for around the same price.

Examples:
CB500X vs 390 Adventure
CFR250L vs. WR250R

Both of the non-Honda bikes listed above have noticeably better suspension in stock form.

But if you want DCT, they are the only ones that have got it. And suspension is easily fixable.

How does the new motor feel compared to the NC700X?
I agree with what you say.

The engine is much stronger than the NC700X. There are 8-10 more HP and it's quite noticeable. It even feels a little stronger than the X-ADV I had. And having owned an X-ADV, the suspension (and brakes) is where the price difference is. My X-ADV's suspension was terrific. My new NC feels like a step down. And it is. I have said it elsewhere: performance is not only about the engine. Your comparison with the KTM and Yamaha is spot on. I ordered a Hyperpro rear shock for my NC. It is specifically made for the 2021 model with (new) lowered suspension. I also ordered a taller screen, center stand, rear rack, and top box - all Honda OEM.

I gassed up once yesterday and got an even 50 mpg. While I was disappointed, I ran the bike really hard. I gassed up again this morning and got 53 mpg. It's a little better but way off the 60 mpg I was getting with the X-ADV. It didn't matter how I was riding the bike, it seemed I was getting a solid 60 mpg.

I sold my X-ADV before I left for Hawaii in January 2020. Yes it would have been an awesome bike to have over there. I decided the money was more important than the bike. I can't get another X-ADV and that's that. Why Honda doesn't sell that bike in the US is beyond me. Yes it is expensive compared to an NC750X but the difference in price is easily explained by the quality of its equipment (suspension, brakes, wind protection, and other features).

I like my NC750X. I do. I wouldn't have bought it otherwise. There isn't anything else I would want to ride at this point. Not even the new NT1100. If/ when Honda updates the NC with better brakes (like the 2022 CB500 line) and better suspension, I will trade mine. In the meantime, I plan on enjoying this bike.

In case you are wondering what an X ADV 750 is:

Congrats! Beautiful bike. Was it difficult to negotiate / purchase a bike unseen from Maxim? Did you initially call or email them to discuss price? There is a V-Strom at Maxim Honda I may be interested in pursuing, but a little hesitant given the distance from home.

Congrats! Beautiful bike. Was it difficult to negotiate / purchase a bike unseen from Maxim? Did you initially call or email them to discuss price? There is a V-Strom at Maxim Honda I may be interested in pursuing, but a little hesitant given the distance from home.
Thanks! They didn't over charge but they also didn't deal either. It may be different with a used bike. I just called them and went from there. It has been a very positive experience from start to finish. The bike was ready when I got there (with a full tank of gas). Signing the paperwork took minutes. I'd definitely buy another bike from them - unless I don't get my title and plate within a reasonable amount of time.

@misterk
Is 100% correct! Don't underestimate what this LIL - Goat will handle. I have the 2020 manual model NC750X.
Had this goat for 1.5 years 12,500 miles and I ride her hard! Still hammering down the miles. Sandy creek crossings, gravel, red dirt and yes one day I stuck it so bad it took me and Little General about an hour to get it out! 🤣😄
Love this bike!
You have a nice ride brother now go out and chase those roads down! 👍

Attachments

• 20211011_223515.jpg
    20211011_223515.jpg
    324.7 KB · Views: 190
  • 20201226_115005.jpg
    20201226_115005.jpg
    383.6 KB · Views: 150
  • 20210401_183016.jpg
    20210401_183016.jpg
    386.3 KB · Views: 215