• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Mummy Riders Mextrek #9 Ride Report

Guanajuato sorta becomes a blur after a day or two. Time sorta stops and you just find yourself wrapped up in a tiny little slice of heaven. You wander, you dance, you maybe sing, you eat well, you enjoy friend's company. A late wakeup led us outside of Hostel Campanero 19 around 10 or 11 for my brother Matthew's walking tour of the city. We saw quite a bit, our 2 hour tour extended to almost 5 with a east to west city crossing and then a hike up and back to the Pipila. A few pics of the tour:

3 guys looking for trouble. The last major flood in GTO was about at the height of Farhan's head. Frequent flooding was fixed by underground diversion tunnels and the creation of La Presa, the dam, above the city. Flooding is rare, but still happens.

A historical photo of the city...shows what a big mess of alleys and streets it is. And this was in the late 1900's as you can see the Teotro Juarez still has no roof.

Blue sign is the height of the flood.

A mural inside the Alhondiga, the granary / bank that was stormed at the start of the Mexican revolution.

Ourtside the Alhondiga. Where the Viva Mexico speech is recreated annually.

A view of the door to the market. Originally a train station designed by Eiffel. Ya, that Eiffel.

GTO's patron saint. And behind him, Cervantes, the author of Don Quixote, the first fantasy novel, ever. And the inspiration for Cervantino Festival, which started in Plaza La Rocha just to stage left.

Another mural

A mural reflected in Dave's glasses

More goofballs

Just me and 2 of my best friends in the whole wide world. Dave I've known since Pre K. Everett since he was a wee tot when I was about 28 years old, lol.

Just a random view looking up to the Pipila, a statue of the soldier who braved certain death to storm the granary. Photo above, and about 50% of the photos of Guanajuato, are taken from the feet of Pipila from the overlook, a steep 10 minute ascent.

Walking down from Pipila, another Don Quixote. Once you have visited the museum, and know the storyline basics, then you see Don and his sidekick Pancho everywhere in town.

Less bros, more buildings.

Matthew and MIchelle at the top of the 84 steps up at the law school. Yes, we always race up.

Pipila in the background. That is the north south expanse of the city center, about a mile across, tops.

Andre breaking the rules. Which he does often.

Just a pretty girl, on a beautiful day, in a picturesque window, reading a book. The picture doesn't capture her blush at being asked for a photo, but it was real.

Fox and Zara at the UG, a 400 year old institution of higher learning. Applications and testing begin when you are 14. 5% get admitted. There is a smart crowd in theis little city.

A funeral today, only the finest hearse. Stunning mahogany siding on this casket deliverymobile.

Where to? Dunno, you're the guide Matthew.

6 horsemen of the apocalypse.

After the long walk we took a nap. Then had a 8PM banquet at the historic Santo Cafe, the only cafe in Mexico I know of that is on a bridge. I took no pics. Someone else has to fill in that gap.

Then we took a 9pm walk with a travelling troupe of Callejonadores, bands of musicians that give you a city music, history, and mescal tour for 100 pesos. We made it maybe halfway through, we were getting sleepy. And we needed to drink more. No pics of that either. We ended the evening late, tired, maybe 10 miles of walking, and not nearly enough sleep. This is habit forming.

Last edited:
i got one....
Here's Edwin, next in line to turn in his vehicle permit. He's looking at his KTM, but not b/c it's purty to look at...but b/c he's frustrated that he couldn't find the VIN number anywhere on HIS KTM to show to the inspector.

We eventually found it but it wasn't exactly out in the open.
Lesson to learn- know where your VIN number is on your bike.

Last edited:
one more....Peter showed us this store that sold nothing but rocks.

not just any rocks, but some are quite RARE gems.

Friday:

Friday we all kinda regrouped and did our own Gunajuato thing. We explored, shopped, drank a bit, ate a bunch, had a great time, and generally left the cameras on standby. We got a request from the Hostel owner to allow a graduation party for her nephew on the patio. I said sure, why not. This became a line dance class, party in the kitchen, party in the hallways, party in the purse shop on the first floor. When I went to bed it was still a party. it was to end at midnight. Knowing how Mexico works I thought this probably meant 4 am. Seems very likely. Of note, everyone on this trip was beginning to really soak in Old Mexico. Everyone had really big smiles. All day. Everyone got to know the town, each other, and the culture a lot better. Stress melted. Fun was had.

Saturday was a sad day. Leaving GTO for Real de Catorce. We had fun riding out of GTO on the mountain roads and then ended up with a bunch of minor miscommunications heading north. Half the group split for Santiago to be closer to the US. I never saw them again, lol. My group of 7 or 8 made it Real de Catorce and our 2 cute little air BNB's.

We barely made sunset, but took some great pics and had laughs. Met a couple new friends from D.F. (Mex City) on a BMW. Gave them an extra AirBNB room from someone who didn't make it.

We had dinner at the never to be underestimated Meson de la Abundancia. It was fabulous, as always.

Our host was exceptionally cute, nice, smart, and she entertained till the wee hours as we listened to music, sipped wine, enjoyed the 60 degree evening cool air. And the house was amazing...warm blankets, great views, huge hearth fireplaces, etc....

Back