• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Musings about 2-Wheel Social Distancing

If God wants you, then there is little you can do to change your outcome. But I think you need to operate under the concept that God wants you to live on this planet and do the things it takes to keep living on this planet.
Please don't try to teach me about God. I find that quite insulting.

I need to wander around on some back roads.
2 years, 6 months more. Then retirement. I hope I will still be able to ride back roads.

I spent most the morning putting tires on The Vespa, swapped out the drive belt and weights and got to take it out on a 14 mile run. One driveway from the house I hear a pop and feel the scooter wiggle. hop of and give it a quick glance but did not see anything. but getting back on the back tire gave the "I am flat" wiggle. walked it to the house and found a nice machined 4 inch long bar imbedded in the tire, :doh::argh::shrug:

I spent most the morning putting tires on The Vespa, swapped out the drive belt and weights and got to take it out on a 14 mile run. One driveway from the house I hear a pop and feel the scooter wiggle. hop of and give it a quick glance but did not see anything. but getting back on the back tire gave the "I am flat" wiggle. walked it to the house and found a nice machined 4 inch long bar imbedded in the tire, :doh::argh::shrug:
Good grief

Remember guys, if you do decide to ride, follow safe motorcycle practices.
286548_10218108506848314_3525973360364224512_n-jpg.jpg

(stolen from someone on the GL1800riders.com site)

I got this message when I turned on my wayze
App to go for a ride the other day. It kind of got under my skin. I don’t need your nanny app telling me What to do or not do.
246D3EF6-9C4F-4DD4-93C6-E595E89F6D4A.png

"Google will use its mammoth collection of mobile location data to measure whether people across the globe are following government directives to remain at home during the coronavirus pandemic — or are venturing out to locations such as stores, parks and offices." LINK

1984 in 2020. At this point Google says they are autonomizing data provided. That statement makes me a lot more comfortable ... not. STOP IT GOOGLE!

"Google will use its mammoth collection of mobile location data to measure whether people across the globe are following government directives to remain at home during the coronavirus pandemic — or are venturing out to locations such as stores, parks and offices." LINK

1984 in 2020. At this point Google says they are autonomizing data provided. That statement makes me a lot more comfortable ... not. STOP IT GOOGLE!
Same situation applies with future fully autonomous vehicles

I guess that would depend on weather you trust your government and big business or weather you don’t. It was just a great reminder of how invasive our new Tec world is.

Remember 10 or 15 years ago the outcry was, Google is tracking me Google is tracking me. That ended without much concern.

Remember 10 or 15 years ago the outcry was, Google is tracking me Google is tracking me. That ended without much concern.
Yes but I never quite got over it and this was a great reminder.
I listened to a great interview about the vehicle to vehicle communications that is coming. It was actually mandated by our government but the manufacturers are the ones putting the breaks on it. Right now vehicle to vehicle communications opens the cars up to hacking so untill that problem is solved it’s not going to happen as it’s a huge law suit liability. In the near future it is estimated that auto manufacturers will make more money selling the data they collect on you than they do on the cars they make.

For those of you that want to run to the mountains to get away from the virus. Last summer while riding and camping alone

in Idaho the wolves came in close to camp and woke me up. Next morning I found wild prints on the bank of the creek about 100 yards away.
9F9755D6-7AEB-425C-895F-0ED24AA06AC8.jpeg

I guess that would depend on weather you trust your government and big business or weather you don’t. It was just a great reminder of how invasive our new Tec world is.

I'm generally not a conspiracy theorist. Most of us gladly give up a little bit of privacy for convenience, such as being able to see traffic information during a commute. But I thought the statement about Google turning over data to the government, was a little creepy. Exactly what is the government getting out of this data and how do they plan to use it? Enforcement of curfews and quarantines have dire implications. When traveling out of the US, I find that most people trust their government, much more than we trust ours. Distrust of our government is a good thing. It keeps politicians from overreaching.

I'm generally not a conspiracy theorist. Most of us gladly give up a little bit of privacy for convenience, such as being able to see traffic information during a commute. But I thought the statement about Google turning over data to the government, was a little creepy. Exactly what is the government getting out of this data and how do they plan to use it? Enforcement of curfews and quarantines have dire implications. When traveling out of the US, I find that most people trust their government, much more than we trust ours. Distrust of our government is a good thing. It keeps politicians from overreaching.
My dad was a huge conspiracy nut. I’m in no way as bad as he was but I do find myself questioning people’s motives more as time goes on. Maybe as young people we don’t have time to worry, we are just trying to survive and raise our families then as we get older we have the luxury of looking back and seeing the change and the disadvantage of spending more time looking forward to our future.

My dad was a huge conspiracy nut. I’m in no way as bad as he was but I do find myself questioning people’s motives more as time goes on. Maybe as young people we don’t have time to worry, we are just trying to survive and raise our families then as we get older we have the luxury of looking back and seeing the change and the disadvantage of spending more time looking forward to our future.
I'm no conspiracy theorist, but I'm young (30) and concerned. It's bad enough the companies are doing it. Turning that over to the government is worse. 1984 indeed...

Here's an interesting map:

Notice California. Pure white: no data collected there, due to the privacy law they put in place late 2019.

The first companies to turn over data were major online advertisers (huge ad agencies that are Google, Apple, and Facebook ad customers). They have huge amounts of data on us (physical location of every ad served to each of us - including wifi/bluetooth beacon data), and as we don't enter into contracts with them, they can do with it pretty much as they please with "our" data. Except in Cali where a law specifically prevents that. Facebook has far, far more data than that (not only every place you've been with your phone, but every web page, purchase, all your friends, foes, fears, loves, etc). So far, FB hasn't released data. Google also has huge data on us - and also (to my knowledge) has not divulged it. AT&T, Verizon, Sprint/T-mobile can track your location nearly as well as FB and Google can. Again, to my knowledge this hasn't been released. Yet.

I guess we should expect federal legislation soon to preempt the Cali privacy protection law and perhaps enforce tech firms to hand over data. The real bummer is, once the privacy cat is out of the bag, there's no getting it back. I expect all that data to be aggregated by the government before too much longer. Once they get it, they're not likely to want to give up that access.

It was just a great reminder of how invasive our new Tec world is.
And how nearly impossible it is to opt-out of. If you have a smart phone, you're being tracked.

Here's an interesting map:

Notice California. Pure white: no data collected there, due to the privacy law they put in place late 2019.

The first companies to turn over data were major online advertisers (huge ad agencies that are Google, Apple, and Facebook ad customers). They have huge amounts of data on us (physical location of every ad served to each of us - including wifi/bluetooth beacon data), and as we don't enter into contracts with them, they can do with it pretty much as they please with "our" data. Except in Cali where a law specifically prevents that. Facebook has far, far more data than that (not only every place you've been with your phone, but every web page, purchase, all your friends, foes, fears, loves, etc). So far, FB hasn't released data. Google also has huge data on us - and also (to my knowledge) has not divulged it. AT&T, Verizon, Sprint/T-mobile can track your location nearly as well as FB and Google can. Again, to my knowledge this hasn't been released. Yet.

I guess we should expect federal legislation soon to preempt the Cali privacy protection law and perhaps enforce tech firms to hand over data. The real bummer is, once the privacy cat is out of the bag, there's no getting it back. I expect all that data to be aggregated by the government before too much longer. Once they get it, they're not likely to want to give up that access.

And how nearly impossible it is to opt-out of. If you have a smart phone, you're being tracked.
I'm halfway between give up/stop caring and never having a phone again. Decent arguments both ways.

I'm halfway between give up/stop caring and never having a phone again. Decent arguments both ways.
Problem is you phone is tracking everything. Your car and motorcycle are now doing it in the computer and will soo be uploading all info. Your gps is tracking you, your credit card is tracking you,
Have you noticed how the biker gangs are now wearing helmets? Facial recognition cameras in special cop cars can see and instantly see who they are so they are now beginning to wear full face helmets.
The coming 5g networks will even further allow tracking with your phone pinging on every power pole as you pass. With the proposal to add cameras to those poles your privacy to pee out your back door in the country will be gone unless of course you just enjoy flashing the old phone operator lady:-)

I was listening to an interview with a Taiwanese Doctor and how they were handling the coronavirus pandemic. They have put into effect strict quarantine (house arrest) guidelines and tracking anyone order under quarantine (house arrest) using phone data and or gps tracker to ensure these guidelines are adhered to. I think he also mentioned use of video surveillance in public places. I think I'd rather take my chances of getting sick than put up with this kind of draconian state.

Problem is you phone is tracking everything. Your car and motorcycle are now doing it in the computer and will soo be uploading all info. Your gps is tracking you, your credit card is tracking you,
Have you noticed how the biker gangs are now wearing helmets? Facial recognition cameras in special cop cars can see and instantly see who they are so they are now beginning to wear full face helmets.
The coming 5g networks will even further allow tracking with your phone pinging on every power pole as you pass. With the proposal to add cameras to those poles your privacy to pee out your back door in the country will be gone unless of course you just enjoy flashing the old phone operator lady:-)
One thing about it it would be a misdemeanor for me :)

Neither my truck nor bike are networked. I won't buy one that is. I've no intention of getting a 5g phone and am tempted to ditch the one I have. If cameras start going up, I'll start looking at other countries to move to. Hopefully it won't come to that.

Neither my truck nor bike are networked. I won't buy one that is. I've no intention of getting a 5g phone and am tempted to ditch the one I have. If cameras start going up, I'll start looking at other countries to move to. Hopefully it won't come to that.
You won’t get away from it in other countries.
I left Papua New Guinea in 78. Much of the country was still wearing loin cloth and grass skirts. Now my brother is making a killing installing cell towers all over that country. The Chinese are financing all the infrastructure in third world country’s world wide. I’m afraid you can’t escape it.

Back