• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

My 9 years old son started riding

Reaction score
Unlike other kid in Vietnam, I tried to start my son riding as early as I could.
Not easy to find a bike or especially place for him to ride around HCMC.
And another barrier is his Mom - she doesn't like him to get hurt with motorcycles :zen:.

However, men decided. :trust:.

Firstly bought for him a NRG50 - 50cc 2smokers, 99HP, automatic bike.

NRG50-1_zps3fa5d6d2.jpg

NRG50-2_zps68065281.jpg

He ride bicycle very well so that automatic bike seemed easier than the bicycle.
Drive more than 1hour to get to this site. Let see how he started:

111_zps6277b3ac.jpg

113_zps2ef3b4aa.jpg

112_zpsa5ecb144.jpg

114_zpsc8697bbb.jpg

117_zpsae2af643.jpg

Hehe, first down in his motorcycle life:

121_zps0d938b99.jpg

105.gif
63.gif
115.gif

124_zps9f617942.jpg

Back on track:

127_zps2f0cc983.jpg

He seemed having good posture:

125_zps89c7150e.jpg

128_zps816cdad5.jpg

All terrain :)

118_zps3e4694c2.jpg

119_zpsa6eeb66d.jpg

120_zpsb87a5f4e.jpg

After two months riding that bike, I think I need to upgrade for him to the next level.
Sold the first bike for less than 20mins up on my FB page, then ready to get the new one.
Couple of choices were there. And here is final decision - Suzuki RM65:

DSC03956_zps839c170f.jpg

It looks like a real professional dirtbike. 65cc, 2 smokers, 3 gears, with clutch, liquid cooled, disc brake front and rear.

DSC03945_zps93811ec8.jpg

DSC03954_zps80676e3b.jpg

Kids are really quick in learning new things. He get used to the gears and clutch within first one hour:

DSC03943_zpsc0fe7df6.jpg

Tried his gears for a real practicing on dirt:

DSC03939_zps155470ff.jpg

Awesome. Before you know it he will be going on trips with you!!

Thanks guys.
We have been out for a practice with his new bike last weekend.

Too bad that I don't have a pick-up truck. Need to get one.

DSC04759_zpsb278b5af.jpg

It's good that the Mom doesn't against son's ride:

DSC04738_zpsa1cf47e3.jpg

Then some pix of his ride:

DSC04747_zpsc1b20158.jpg

DSC04745_zpsf45879f5.jpg

DSC04746_zpsa2554984.jpg

DSC04748_zps607974c3.jpg

DSC04749_zps09831d77.jpg

DSC04752_zps4d6f18c4.jpg

Well, time for lunch:

DSC04757_zps0276baf1.jpg

The site was not really good for him. Mostly flat surface. I had to use the shovel to make some holes.
Hopefully we can find better place next time. For sure it will not near my house.

:tab Looks like he's really enjoying it :thumb:

:tab You know you NEED to get yourself a dirt bike so you can ride with him. I promise that will make for some great Father/Son memories ;-) My problem is that I can barely keep up with Daniel, and he's only seven! :doh: :lol2: Here are a few pics/vids of my youngest, Rachel (5), and Daniel riding in the woods at my folks place recently.

:tab Show these vids to your son. Daniel didn't blink once while watching them :lol2:

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4c2cKAxICg4"]LIFE OF A DRIFTER - KTM 500EXC - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUlSuCesDNg"]FREERIDERS - YouTube[/ame]

Thanks Scott.
I am still lurking....
The more important thing for me now is a Pick-up instead of a SUV. Then the dirt bike for me.
Not an easy business.

My grandson is 16 months old. What. Is the earliest any one has started a young boy with a motorbike?

My grandson is 16 months old. What. Is the earliest any one has started a young boy with a motorbike?

:tab I have heard people claim they were riding/racing as young as two. I am not sure how that works unless a kid is just tall for his/her age and unusually coordinated. My rule was that the kids had to be able to ride their bicycles without training wheels before they could ride the motorcycles without training wheels. Also, some kids are just gonna have a knack for it, some won't, and some should NEVER be anywhere near a bike! :nono: Daniel is good at it and loves it. Sarah is much better than she thinks, but she lacks the "go for it" zest and confidence that Daniel has. Rachel is more like Daniel.

:tab Sarah started when she was about 7. Daniel was 5. Rachel was 3. That is just how old they were when I got the first bike for them. They all started on a Honda CRF-50 with Moose training wheels. I rode with them on the bike with them sitting in front. At first, I did everything and they were just along for the ride. Then I would let them steer while I did the gas. Then I would let them do the gas while I steered. I would constantly be coaching them about looking through turns, keeping their eyes up, etc,... Then I would have them practice using both the front and rear brakes, independently and together. Eventually, I set them loose on their own in our back yard and would coach them. I set up cones for them to practice weaving and stopping.

:tab I did get a second bike, the TTR-50E, just because it was a hassle having Sarah and Daniel taking turns on the Honda. I think they both rode with the training wheels for about 4-5 hours total (over many separate sessions) before I took them off. Daniel took to it like a fish to water. Sarah was hesitant at first and had trouble keeping her eyes up. Once she learned to keep her eyes up, it really clicked for her and she started doing great. Rachel didn't get too ride as much from 3-5 years old just because it was a pain to keep swapping out the training wheels on the Honda so she could ride. I didn't really worry about it much because she still wasn't riding her bicycle and I did not think she was ready to run the motorcycle by herself. So she just got the occasional ride with me on the days I remounted the training wheels on the Honda.

:tab Back in March, I picked up a new Honda CRF-110 for Sarah. She had tried an XR80, but it was a bit tall and had a clutch. She had a pretty spectacular get off that did a number on her confidence and desire to ride even though she was unhurt. She does like the 110 though. IT has the auto clutch and is electric start. Daniel is still on the TTR-50E, but is really ready for something a little bigger. He's eyeballing Sarah's 110... :wary: Rachel is now riding the CRF-50 all by herself (with the training wheels). She is not quite tall enough to reach the ground yet, and that is a big deal for some kids. She's been doing real well and I think it may not be long before I let her try it without the training wheels.

:tab A BIG issue with young kids is finding good protective gear. In my view, that is a MUST. I know a lot of us grew up doing crazy stuff without helmets and pads and we survived (most of us anyway...). But all it takes is that one split second moment and everything can go real bad. That is what happened to Sarah and if she had not been wearing her gear, she would have been severely injured. At a bare minimum I suggest a helmet with goggles. Better, is that plus elbow and knee protection. I let them ride in cowboy boots initially. But I did finally get them some real dirt boots. Also, a good chest protector is nice. I picked up one of these for Daniel,

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/TITAN-SPORT-YOUTH-JACKET-DEFLECTOR/dp/B00469N1ZC"]Amazon.com: FOX TITAN SPORT YOUTH JACKET ROOST DEFLECTOR BLACK YOUTH 9-11: Automotive[/ame]

He really likes it. The smallest one will not fit Rachel. I would have gotten one for Sarah, but they only had one. I'll probably order one for her though. It has a good range of adjustment so he should be able to keep wearing it as he grows for the next few years.

:tab Kids growing is a big issue because they can quickly outgrow gear!! Gear is not always cheap either! I try to buy stuff for Sarah that can be handed down to Daniel and Rachel. I occasionally buy them something new of their own just so everything they get is not handed down. Also, we have had friends whose kids out grew their gear and they were nice enough to donate it to our kids. So we will do the same when the time comes.

:tab Training is a big deal too. I am sure some folks just give the kids the bikes and turn them loose. I spent a lot of time with them going over all the basics about throttle control, braking, body position, traction issues, cornering, etc,... I also had Sarah and Daniel do a class with Kyle of NXLevelMX. They loved it and it did wonders for their riding confidence and skills. It also helped sooth Mom's nerves ;-) I also spend a lot of time watching YouTube videos with them. They love them and watching the REALLY good riders will hopefully help them to get a better idea of what they need to be doing when they are riding. That drifter video I posted above is a perfect example because you can REALLY see how he is moving his body around during different maneuvers.

:tab Lately, I have been thinking that I would like to get Daniel into Trials riding. He has some self control issues at times and something like that would be real good for him in terms of teaching him self control, discipline, and concentration. It also builds a solid skills foundation for any future riding. Best of all, I could build him a course in our backyard and thus eliminate the need to load bikes and go somewhere every time we want to ride. Besides, I would also like to work on some of those very same skills and it would be fun to do it with him!

I've got 3 boys. The oldest is 12 and has been riding for a year. The middle has no interest. My little dude is where the talent lies. He was riding a pedal bike 1 month prior to turning 3 rs old. He was riding a CRF50 at 4yrs and 7 mos. Never had training wheels on any of them. He was definitely an exception in his peer group. His biggest issue was being able to touch the ground (on the CRF50). I almost shaved the seat and took out the rear shock spring but with practice he developed enough strength and confidence to ride on his own without me making those changes. It took about a month.

He's 5 yr and 3 mos old now. The problem that I have with him currently is actually trying to get him to take it easy. He needs some appropriate and healthy "fear".

ww56.jpg

With a motorbike? I think Vietnamese kids are the one who being WITH the motorcycle earliest in the world!
Why? Because when mama go to Hospital for giving birth, she goes (or being carried) by a motorcycle. After some days in the Hospital, they send the kid home by a motorcycle. So, is it the earliest? :lol2: :rider:

The problem that I have with him currently is actually trying to get him to take it easy. He needs some appropriate and healthy "fear".

:tab I have that same problem with Daniel. However, he has had a few pretty spectacular looking get offs where he and the bike came out relatively unscathed. Those have helped... some... :lol2:

:tab Great shot! :thumb:

:tab Looks like he's really enjoying it :thumb:

:tab You know you NEED to get yourself a dirt bike so you can ride with him. I promise that will make for some great Father/Son memories ;-)

Hmmm... You guys always have good advices.

Having an offer of Suzuki RMX250 1993 right here.
Should I take it? Any comment about that bike?

Looks like this one, but not such new and clean:

Suzuki_RM_250_1999_Albertyn_9_copy_863158.jpg

What you're showing there is an RM motocross bike, not an RMX.
The RMX is the offroad version of the RM, and should have a headlight, tail light, smoother motor. Nevertheless,
If you're getting a dirt m/c to follow your son on, I would not recommend buying a two stroke motocross dirt bike. They're very quick revving and hard hitting, but lacking in torque and ease of use. When following your son, a 2 stroke bike will often be riding too slowly, so this may foul out the spark plug, the motor won't get hot enough to vaporize the premix oil suspended in the fuel, so there will not be sufficient lubrication going to the crank bearings when riding that slow.

I would suggest getting a Simple, air cooled, four stroke dirt bike, one w/ electric start. something like a Honda CRF230F or Yamaha TTR230, with a low seat height, and a side kick stand.
Or
buy the next size up dirt bike (KX85/KX100, CRF150R/CRF150F, TTR125/TTR125L, etc...) that you will eventually move your son up to when he outgrows that RM65, and ride that bike to follow him on.

And, you don't really need a truck (unless you want one) to haul motorcycles. Just get a single axle trailer and put a trailer hitch on your car/SUV.

Started my youngest at 2-1/2 yrs. Got his brother's hand-me-down Yamaha PW50. With my other son, I took the time to teach him how to ride on 2 wheels. With this youngest, I cheated and got him motorcycle training wheels instead. THen right before turning 3 yrs old, he learned how to ride w/o his training wheels! So they came off w/in 6 months of use. He's now 14, and still rides dirt.

The hardest part for me, was finding a helmet, boots, chest protector to fit a 2-3 yr old. No one in the motorcycle industry makes them. So I improvised and got him a bicycle helmet, custom ordered tiny little hiking boots from REI that went up to the mid calf, fitted him w/ mittens instead of gloves, and I actually found a tiny size chest pad made out of foam that worked as a light chest protector. It was when he turned 5 that he was able to fit into a size 10 youth Alpinestar boots, xxs youth helmet by Vega, and Thor xs youth chest protector, which are the smallest sizes made.

buy the next size up dirt bike (KX85/KX100, CRF150R/CRF150F, TTR125/TTR125L, etc...) that you will eventually move your son up to when he outgrows that RM65, and ride that bike to follow him on.

:tab Great advice! I bought the CRF 110 for Sarah (9 yr old). The other two kids will eventually grow into it. Even when they outgrow it, I'll likely keep it as it is just fun to ride. It is great for chasing Daniel and Rachel because it has the auto clutch so I can ride one handed and hold the video camera in the other since I don't have a GoPro or something similar. When I chase Sarah while she is riding the 110, I ride an XR 80 and try not to have to shift gears or stop :-P Both bikes are big enough that I fit them without much trouble, but I would not want to do any serious or "hard" riding on them just because my weight is too much for the suspension. Something like a TTR 225 or Honda 230 would be great.

Back