• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

My 9 years old son started riding

What you're showing there is an RM motocross bike, not an RMX.
The RMX is the offroad version of the RM, and should have a headlight, tail light, smoother motor. Nevertheless,
If you're getting a dirt m/c to follow your son on, I would not recommend buying a two stroke motocross dirt bike. They're very quick revving and hard hitting, but lacking in torque and ease of use. When following your son, a 2 stroke bike will often be riding too slowly, so this may foul out the spark plug, the motor won't get hot enough to vaporize the premix oil suspended in the fuel, so there will not be sufficient lubrication going to the crank bearings when riding that slow.

I would suggest getting a Simple, air cooled, four stroke dirt bike, one w/ electric start. something like a Honda CRF230F or Yamaha TTR230, with a low seat height, and a side kick stand.
Or
buy the next size up dirt bike (KX85/KX100, CRF150R/CRF150F, TTR125/TTR125L, etc...) that you will eventually move your son up to when he outgrows that RM65, and ride that bike to follow him on.

And, you don't really need a truck (unless you want one) to haul motorcycles. Just get a single axle trailer and put a trailer hitch on your car/SUV.

Thank you.
I was thinking that pix is the one.
However, here's the real one:

1457641_10200808866703217_1827631512_n.jpg

I 've never owned a dirt bike for myself, so I 'd like to buy one for a trial first, to see how the thing goes. Then I will decide for better fit.
So I don't want to spend much money for the first one.
In Vietnam, dirt bike is quite expensive.
The one I showed above looks like the best to my budget.

About the truck - that's only thing we can do here. It is not allowed to put a trailer after your car/suv.

That RMX looks to be in good shape, and it's street legal? You know how much of its riding time is on the street?

Theres' a few things you may want to check before buying a 2 stroke dirt bike that's been made street legal. The clutch basket gets grooved up faster than if the bike is ridden on the dirt. This is an expensive part, usually $200 USD. So check the clutch basket for notching. The second thing is, street riding puts more wear on the transmission, on the countershaft sprocket bearing and seal. CHeck for oil leaks around the countershaft sprocket, and behind the countershaft sprocket. Check for transmission not staying locked in gear when accelerating. IF these things are found, then the transmission may need rebuilding. The 3rd thing is, 2 stroke dirt bikes generally have a short lifetime with the piston rings. They get replaced around 80-100 hours of use on a single piston ring setup, or up to 200 hrs if it has a two ring setup. Plan to change your piston rings, and a new piston too if required, and cleaning out the carbon deposits on the power valve, within the first year of owning the bike. It's just part of maintenance if you own and ride a two stroke racing dirt bike.
You also may want to check the two radiators for damage. And check the coolant level in the radiator. when radiators are damaged, they leak coolant, and you can see this. a radiator without any coolant in it is a sign to be cautious here.

That RMX looks to be in good shape, and it's street legal? You know how much of its riding time is on the street?

Theres' a few things you may want to check before buying a 2 stroke dirt bike that's been made street legal. The clutch basket gets grooved up faster than if the bike is ridden on the dirt. This is an expensive part, usually $200 USD. So check the clutch basket for notching. The second thing is, street riding puts more wear on the transmission, on the countershaft sprocket bearing and seal. CHeck for oil leaks around the countershaft sprocket, and behind the countershaft sprocket. Check for transmission not staying locked in gear when accelerating. IF these things are found, then the transmission may need rebuilding. The 3rd thing is, 2 stroke dirt bikes generally have a short lifetime with the piston rings. They get replaced around 80-100 hours of use on a single piston ring setup, or up to 200 hrs if it has a two ring setup. Plan to change your piston rings, and a new piston too if required, and cleaning out the carbon deposits on the power valve, within the first year of owning the bike. It's just part of maintenance if you own and ride a two stroke racing dirt bike.
You also may want to check the two radiators for damage. And check the coolant level in the radiator. when radiators are damaged, they leak coolant, and you can see this. a radiator without any coolant in it is a sign to be cautious here.

Thanks Dao for your very detail advice.
Yes, the bike is street legal. Owner said it has 2000km on the clock. Unknown about riding hours.
Bike is now in Hanoi (1000miles away from me), so I had a friend to check it up for me.
He rode the bike and said no issue found with the clutch or transmission while operation. No radiator issue.
He took pix for me and I saw that there is some oil around the kick-starter spindle (shaft). Other than that, there is no sign of oil leakage or so.

Some pix of my son during weekend.

DSC05724_zpsc6bb1654.jpg

DSC05737_zps7c434881.jpg

DSC05758_zps9d39fc2a.jpg

DSC05759_zps12764240.jpg

DSC05763_zps525f1cb2.jpg

DSC05785_zps9e1334a9.jpg

DSC05748_zps3a7eb54f.jpg

I haven't got a dirt bike yet. Coz I bought a new GS then bankrupt :zen:

Son got riding again last weekend.

No pick-up truck yet, but we still have fun with a little bit smell of gas inside my car LOL....

L1010575-2_zps8fdb521d.jpg

Getting ready for the new site, 40km away from home:

L1010598-2_zpse585aee1.jpg

Haha, looks, we even got umbrella, no pit girl this time :)

L1010602-2_zpsc7384662.jpg

Awesome shots!

That beach looks like a great place to play. With those cement culverts, you could almost use the place for Trials riding!

Get him UP on the foot pegs in that sand!!

Nice sticker :thumb:

Thanks Scott.
Too bad that his wheels are too small, so can't over come all the sand and the cement culverts :)

Do you mind if I save a few of those pictures for use in the front page rotation on TWT?

Your son Bond has got some good teaching assistants there Trung. Are you getting Panat interested in dirt riding now? Maybe when Ducati makes a dirt bike he'll buy one. Tell him, Lam and your family I said hello. Lam's stories of dirt bike riding up north in Dalat has me itching to get back to try that.

_

viethorse, very good. start them early. you never know, he may race against Valentino Rossi. it looks as though Rossi may race into his 40s or 50s.
also, very, very good about making him wear the safety gear. :rider:

Your son Bond has got some good teaching assistants there Trung. Are you getting Panat interested in dirt riding now? Maybe when Ducati makes a dirt bike he'll buy one. Tell him, Lam and your family I said hello. Lam's stories of dirt bike riding up north in Dalat has me itching to get back to try that.

_

Hey David, come back here. We got some more bikes at home :eat:
Panat is still very happy with his Multistrada and planning for a trip from HCM to BKK visiting his family there. Dirtbike? No, I don't think he's interested in. Lam is my son (and my) sifu in dirtbiking. Even today he's helping me fixing the front fork seal. Awesome dude.

viethorse, very good. start them early. you never know, he may race against Valentino Rossi. it looks as though Rossi may race into his 40s or 50s.
also, very, very good about making him wear the safety gear. :rider:
Oh, that 's beyond my expectation. Intention of mine getting him familiar with dirtbike is helping him firstly away from all kinds of online games, Ipad, TV, etc... secondly building his own hobby (well, as ours), third is to make him ready and more confident when he really need to use motorcycle, for whatever reason. You may know that we ride motorcycle (scooters, sort of) for living here :).

New bike and something to carry it with? Nice!

Exactly, Rusty. And also the homemade fold-able ramp, a bit heavy, but rugged and does its work. :rider:

Looking for a free download link of RM65 ('05) Repair Manual.
Someone know, please help.
Thanks.

Looking for a free download link of RM65 ('05) Repair Manual.
Someone know, please help.
Thanks.

Trung try searching on bit torrent sites. It has been probably 5 years since I've downloaded from those sites but they had an incredible selection at the time. I found KTM manuals, Shane Watts Dirtwise video and enough music to let me ride the world without repeating a song.

_

Trung try searching on bit torrent sites. It has been probably 5 years since I've downloaded from those sites but they had an incredible selection at the time. I found KTM manuals, Shane Watts Dirtwise video and enough music to let me ride the world without repeating a song.

_

Thank you, Dave. I just know that the Kawa KX65 and Suz RM65 is the same bike. And the KX65 repair manual is sooooo easy to find them online.
Can't understand why they are exactly the same, but stickers.

fantastic! he looks like a natural! :rider:

Thank you. He rides better day by day.

On another Sunday :sun:

DSC07851_zpsarqwgwrn.jpg

I took my son and his friend (neighbor's) out for a sunny Sunday.

DSC07867_zpsmswviqvs.jpg

We just had this place in town to do this thing:

DSC07870_zps6ijvaosg.jpg

DSC07855_zpsgx7juwhm.jpg

This guy burnt too much gas :giveup::

DSC07877_zpswj8m0dig.jpg

Another time:

DSC07892-1_zps14mlhwce.jpg

Fun:

DSC07899_zpsx4p5prgk.jpg

DSC07902_zpslqspdj9c.jpg

I LOVE the look on his friend's face in that last shot, "Hmmm... What thing in this picture doesn't go with the others...?" :lol2:

He was working last weekend:

IMG_20150201_081205_zpsxdce8bup.jpg

Then I took him to the beach:

P2010009_zpsc7qvdslg.jpg

P2010008_zpskeepqudn.jpg

IMG_20150201_093010_zpshqnkcasx.jpg

We made thousands of circle :)

IMG_20150201_093112_zpsfoyxhn2t.jpg

IMG_20150201_093018_zpsodt3i8bt.jpg

And even drawn a heart, but it looked like a leg bone :D

IMG_20150201_094447_zpscnn6q2d3.jpg

or a whale tail if you say so :)