• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

My California Trip - Good trip, bad ending

Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Shelfer
I'll probably do a trip report later, but here's the Big Bad News. 3500+ miles of riding, and I had a serious accident one hour from home yesterday (Sun, 9/19). I was on I-70, just east of the Eisenhower Tunnel. Suddenly, up pops this big road sign - "Grooved Pavement - Motorcycles take extreme caution." I had been in the left lane, so moved to the right so that I could ride slower than traffic (still 65 mph). And up came the grooved pavement - in the right lane - the left lane was clear.

Suddenly I was in possibly the worst grooved pavement I'd ever experienced. I was down to probably 50mph - I was looking ahead, not at my speedometer. And one of these crazy grooved lines started pushing me left. I was afraid to cut back against it for obvious reasons. And about 2 seconds later, I got up close & personal with the left lane, which was a full 2" higher. You know the story from here. The front tire got trapped up against the edge - that's why we call them edge traps, right?

I went down on my left side. The bike slid down the right hand lane. I slid - and rolled a couple of times - down the left hand lane. And I brought the entirety of I-70 to a halt on Sunday morning.

I wasn't seriously injured. The gear did its job & I got out with a badly scraped left knee & a few bruises. The bike would actually have been rideable if not for the missing foot peg. But in any case, I wasn't getting back on at that point. A tow truck gave the Suz and me a lift home. I've talked to Progressive and, due to its age, the Wee is being totaled.

I'll attach a few pix of my gear. That gear was the difference between my having a few boo boos cleaned up at an urgent care clinic, and ending up in a Breckenridge hospital - or worse.

PS - I was already realizing, on the long ride home, that my level of concentration, balance, and reaction time leave me at about 90% of what I used to be, and 90% isn't good enough. What happened yesterday is proof positive. So, I'm now officially retired from riding. Time for a Miata. Or a Porsche.

Attachments

• 17 - Tourmaster Flex III riding jacket.jpg
    17 - Tourmaster Flex III riding jacket.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 146
  • 18 - Joe Rocket armored riding pants.jpg
    18 - Joe Rocket armored riding pants.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 142
  • 19 - Riding boots.jpg
    19 - Riding boots.jpg
    348.3 KB · Views: 138
  • 20 - Riding gloves.jpg
    20 - Riding gloves.jpg
    318 KB · Views: 141
  • 21 - Nolan N104 modular helmet.jpg
    21 - Nolan N104 modular helmet.jpg
    284.6 KB · Views: 150
  • 22 - Remains of the trousers I was wearing under safety gear.jpg
    22 - Remains of the trousers I was wearing under safety gear.jpg
    177.2 KB · Views: 143
Glad to hear you are ok!!! Tough break. Just curious, when you saw the sign is there anyway to divert or get outta there? If I see one, I hope I can take another path.

Wow, that's crazy. Pretty sure I hit some grooved pavement (I remember the wording on the sign being the same as yours) similar to that out there a few weeks ago and I still haven't got the crease out of my seat or my riding pants. That sign is no joke, crazy stuff, worse than any grooved pavement I've ridden on in the past. Glad you are ok.

So, what bike is next? :D

PS - I was already realizing, on the long ride home, that my level of concentration, balance, and reaction time leave me at about 90% of what I used to be, and 90% isn't good enough. What happened yesterday is proof positive. So, I'm now officially retired from riding. Time for a Miata. Or a Porsche.

Sorry to hear that, really I am. But I get it.

FWIW I owned a Miata as a daily driver for 15 years. Then a few years after it was totaled I got my first real road motorcycle when I was about 43. I think with today's vehicles, it's a tough argument that a Miata is any safer than a motorcycle. Sure, if you are in a crash, the Miata is far safer. But the chances of a crash that are not your fault are, IMHO, far higher in a Miata, because it simply is not tall enough to be seen out the windows of large SUVs and trucks. I had a guy in a truck back over the front of my Miata while sitting at a stop light! I think the chances of drivers seeing your helmet (assuming you are doing the high-ish vis ... white, yellow, etc.) are far higher than for them to see you in a Miata, especially with the top down. And the fact is if someone changes lanes into your space, you have a lot more room to maneuver and avoid on a bike than you do in a Miata.

This is just my personal experience. If you think your reflexes and balance are not enough to keep you out of trouble, you'll fare better in a Miata. But you may get in more trouble in the Miata no matter how good your reflexes are, because that bubba in the F350 with an 8" lift has no idea you are there and doesn't care.

Glad to hear you are ok!!! Tough break. Just curious, when you saw the sign is there anyway to divert or get outta there? If I see one, I hope I can take another path.

At that point, there was no escape from I-70. Moreover, I couldn't get back to the left lane. When I went west, I diverted south over Monarch Pass to escape holiday traffic and the mudslide area over in Glenwood Canyon. Had I taken that route back, the odds are that it would have been just a routine last day, with an added 90 minutes. Hindsight.....

Wow, that's crazy. Pretty sure I hit some grooved pavement (I remember the wording on the sign being the same as yours) similar to that out there a few weeks ago and I still haven't got the crease out of my seat or my riding pants. That sign is no joke, crazy stuff, worse than any grooved pavement I've ridden on in the past. Glad you are ok.

So, what bike is next? :D

Wise guy. :lol2: No, the decision is final. I was already considering calling it a career. This just hastened the decision.

But the chances of a crash that are not your fault are, IMHO, far higher in a Miata,

Totally understand. It's a different kind of risk, but still a risk. And actually, the Miata is more of a metaphor than a target vehicle for me. But based on what I recognized in how much I've lost in 3 years (last time I took a major trip), I was a bit shocked. It's definitely time to hang up the helmet.

Glad you're ok and thanks for not posting a picture of your underwear.

Sad to hear you believe it's time to hang it up when it was more a judgment error. You're not Biden forgetful yet.

This is a lesson. Instead of being in a hurry to get home, you should have rested for lunch in Dillon and taken the bypass.

I really should get up there again but for skiing. I miss winter fun.

Wise guy. :lol2: No, the decision is final. I was already considering calling it a career. This just hastened the decision.
You can get another year or 3 out of a Ural and share the fun as well. You won't go fast enough to get into trouble, I promise.

Sorry to hear about the fall. Glad to hear you are ok.

We all have to make that decision when its time. I respect your decisiveness.

We're not going to lose you on the forum are we? I've really enjoyed some of your posts in the past and I'm waiting for the upcoming one. You've given me lots of advise and suggestions, some without you even knowing about it. Glad you're OK.

Sorry and yet glad. Tough decision. Wise to make it on your own terms.

Thanks, Gina. I returned to riding 12 years ago. I knew at that time, that starting up again also meant eventually stopping again.

Sad to hear you believe it's time to hang it up when it was more a judgment error. You're not Biden forgetful yet.

Well, judgment is all part of the total package. In the long run, there no excuses. No matter what happens and why, you own the issue because it's your skin. Anyhow, I'm considering running for president in 2024; I'll only be 73.
We're not going to lose you on the forum are we? I've really enjoyed some of your posts in the past and I'm waiting for the upcoming one. You've given me lots of advise and suggestions, some without you even knowing about it. Glad you're OK.

I appreciate the compliment. Yeah, I'll still be around. Besides, with my centrist positions, who does a better job than me at annoying both liberals and conservatives with a single comment? :trust:

I'll have some gear up for sale soon - by mail of course, since I live in Colorado. If anybody with a VStrom has ever wanted the much coveted Dan Vesel rider seat back (Dan's been out of business for years), I'll be putting mine up for sale.

Tim I am glad you came throgh ok. Never say never.
I am 71 and sold my DL1000 and got a light XR650L and put street tires on it. I just ride mostly back roads.
I am way more comfortable and in control on this light bike.

Ugh.
Glad you are around to tell the tale.

What's the collective say insofar as how to survive this kind of road hazard?
Go slow? (that kind of refutes "when in doubt, gas it")

I've encountered grooved pavement and didn't think much of it. The bike wiggles under you. But I was probably going only 30-40mph.

What's the collective say insofar as how to survive this kind of road hazard?
Go slow? (that kind of refutes "when in doubt, gas it")

I've encountered grooved pavement and didn't think much of it. The bike wiggles under you. But I was probably going only 30-40mph.

There's a good stretch of grooved pavement on two of my standard riding routes, and one thing I found is that it's quite different depending on the bike, particularly the tire choice seems to have a huge effect. One of my bikes you barely notice, the other feels like suicide in progress.

I've always felt the worst thing was those expanded metal surafces on the rivited iron bridges in the big eastern cities.

I found is that it's quite different depending on the bike, particularly the tire choice seems to have a huge effect.

Tires are a factor, too. Big block tires probably aren't a great choice for grooved pavement. On top of that, my front tire was seriously chewed up. I had fully planned, once I got home, to park the bike until I got a new front tire on.

Also, I've been on all kinds of grooved pavement. I never like it, but this stuff really bad. And I couldn't slow down TOO much - the cars were still coming up behind at 65mph, not much phased by it.

Sorry to hear about your incident but glad you are telling the story and came though it okay. From my dirt days (yes I crashed quite a bit) I would suspect you will be really sore tomorrow, seems second day after is always the worst for me. Hang in there and just do what is right for you.

Sorry to hear of your accident. So very very glad to know you came through it with minor damage.
I hate that grooved pavement; it is an awful hazard for two wheelers. I get really spooked when I hit some bad sections - it feels like I have no control to prevent a spill.
I totally understand and respect your decision to end your moto career. Still plenty of fun awaiting you in whatever the future holds!

Hi Tim glad you're all right. As far as you retiring I don't believe it, but you do you. I have a feeling you were just tired from a long trip. Maybe you shouldn't just quit riding altogether. Perhaps you should just consider easing back on the long mega trips. Good luck sir in your future endeavors.

I think groove depth also matters. I've only hit one section where I totally thought I was going to crash. Scared the bejezus out of me. Most of the time that stuff isn't fun, a little nervous, but not actually dangerous.

If the Wee is rideable, one thing you might do is buy it from Progressive for salvage value, keep it thru the winter, and who knows, when the spring thaw comes up there, you might be tempted to zip around on it again!

If the Wee is rideable, one thing you might do is buy it from Progressive for salvage value, keep it thru the winter, and who knows, when the spring thaw comes up there, you might be tempted to zip around on it again!

Or, someone with a trailer, like me, might come drag it back to Texas...

Back