• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

my Colorado trip

Fine pictures. Love the way the pumps were designed. Simple but efficient camming system.

Thanks for all the compliments. A lot of the equipment has been removed or damaged by thieves and vandals but a lot of the stuff way up high is still there. California Gulch has a bunch of stuff also. Engineer Pass on the East side has a mine that is open to tours. It's fairly cheap and if you have a the time, I recommend it.

North of Silverton- on the way to California, Picayne and Placer Gulch
P9160364_0075.jpg

The line across the mountain is my route. Still on a smooth road. That's soon to change.
P9160371_0068.jpg

Standing on the road in the last picture, looking back to where it was taken
P9160374_0065.jpg

Met a couple from Chicago and they took this one. They were about 70 and she was driving.
P9160376_0062.jpg

Still on the way to California
P9160380_0058.jpg

Last 100 yards was fairly steep
P9160388_0050.jpg

Couple from Chicago are in the rental Jeep. They come to Colorado every Sept.
P9160389_1_0049.jpg

Three jeeps headed to lake Como
P9160390_0047.jpg

bike saying, "I made it!!!"
P9160391_0046.jpg

My feeble attempt to take pictures of California and picayne. It must be seen in person.
P9160393_0044.jpg

Next up (when I get time) will be Wheeler Geologic area, another place that is better seen than photographed

Teaser
P9170407_1_0027.jpg

I am totally impressed, having been there twice on my DRZ-SM with dirt wheel set-up... I just can't imagine doing Black Bear Pass, Two up, on a DRZ with street tires!!!! :eek2::eek2::eek2::eek2: My hat is off to you, and the story of the river crossing sounds like something that would happen to me, nobody around, strip down, and the whole county shows up!!! Great pictures, you need to go to Ouray with us next year, you can lead.

Beautiful pics!

We stayed at that same place in Santa Rosa the day I totalled my van on I-40 there. The van, or portions thereof, is probably still in a salvage yard there.

I miss that van. Sure am glad you didn't total the trailer you were pulling.

I cant wait to do this, I recognize the old cabin or mine shack with the stairs, haven't been to CO. since 93. great pics.

Glad you like the pictures. Thanks

We had a change in plans. We were supposed to ride up Pikes Peak and video tape it for a friend that is going to race a motorcycle there next year. Another mutual friend, Joe Prussiano, raced there last year (he won his 450cc class) and had a helmet cam. No reason to ride up there again unless we couldn't find something better to do. We could!!!

Drove 14 miles down this graded road to a trailhead/campground with no amenities but it is free.
P9170396_0041.jpg

There is a sign that says the Jeep road is 14 miles long and the hiking trail is 7 miles. According to the sign, hikers sometimes beat Jeep riders. I believe it but we rode anyway. The road is pretty non descript so I didn't take any pictures that I deemed worthy of TWT viewers. The end of the road was worthy.

The sheer quantity of aspen that were just beginning to turn was mind boggling
P9170399_0038.jpg

At the end of the road we had to hike about a mile. The view we came for is in a wilderness area and no engines or even wheels are allowed. No wheel barrows, no bicycles, only wheel chairs.
P9170403_1_0034.jpg

Our first view of something "different"
P9170406_0028.jpg

A little closer
P9170408_1_0025.jpg

Then suddenly you break out of the woods and there is this
P9170418_0011.jpg

And this
P9170416_1_0014.jpg

We looked in awe
P9170421_0007.jpg

P9170425_0001.jpg

P9170414_0017.jpg

This area is called the Wheeler Geologic Area. It used to be the Wheeler National Monument but the road (the last 14 miles of it) became very expensive to maintain so the name was changed.

I have driven within 28 miles of this area at least 8 times. I had never heard of it so didn't bother to turn down Pool Table Road which is about a mile north of Wagon Wheel Gap. I will go back when I have more time to explore.

Hey Denny......nice pics! Next time, I want an invite!!!

You were invited. Nobody responded to my post. Too restrictive, I guess. I specified "couples only". Who want to ride a dirt bike 2 up.:rider::rider:

Back