• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Yeah, the 500 EXC seems to be the king of the reviews. I'll check it out though, thanks.
The SWM might be worth checking out, price in the article shows to be $7795 - compared to$11,400 for the KTM
SWM is built at the old Husky plant in Italy - kind of a Husky clone

The SWM might be worth checking out, price in the article shows to be $7795 - compared to$11,400 for the KTM
SWM is built at the old Husky plant in Italy - kind of a Husky clone
Where do you even get one? And how complete is the dealer support? Maybe it's fine, I don't really know.

If dealer support is limited,, it seems like a gamble to me...

Round 2. Or is it 3?? Can't remember but I'm ready to watch. :popcorn: :popcorn: #856

Both bikes are pretty equal. I think the KTM has superior brakes and clutch but that's nit picking. If you're going to do any type of fender bag the Husky makes it tough with the carbon subframe. The linkage on the Husky gives you an advantage if your a racer in cross country type situations but tougher if you're a log jumper. The linkage never bothers Jarvis. Both bikes are corked up pretty good with pollusion stuff. Grab a VORTEX ignition and they both come ALIVE!
Aspear probably summed it up by saying buy the newer bike for resale purposes. The Husky front fender bugs me, but so do mosquitos and gnats.

It's either a 2017 500 EXC or a 2019 FE 450.
I believe there is an infinite difference between the 500 and the 450 motor/transmission.
As I recall, the 450 is a high revving engine as opposed to the torque of the 500.
The 500 transmission also has a much wider range than the 450.
These will greatly affect your riding style.
I might be wrong, but you should look into that before you buy.

I think you should buy them both so you can spend some time on both and decide the difference and which one you like best. The next step is to sell the one you like the least to your buddy that just got the little KLX. He will be looking for something with some more grunt by then especially if you let him ride them a couple times.

Don't just consider the simple peak hp and torque differences, also take into consideration where they come in on the rev range and what their curves actually look like. I can tell you that the 500exc is a tractor and that can be very valuable when you're my size and chugging up a steep rocky incline.

That carbon subframe does make me wonder though about putting bags on it.
This is no longer an issue.
I just finished a 1278 mile ride on the NMBDR with the Mosko Moto Reckless 40L package.
It worked flawlessly. But I was not packing a BBQ grill.

Last edited:
I rode them back to back yesterday and did seem to notice a little more torque on the 500, but I had to really be paying attention.

Otherwise, they felt very similar. The 450 was a little smoother running.

Looking at dyno runs a stock 2020 KTM 500 EXC-F made:
39.4 hp @ 8100 rpm
27.7 ft-lbs @ 5200 rpm

Stock 2019 Husky FE 450 made:
35.08 hp @ 8230 rpm
25.48 ft-lbs @ 6070 rpm

Difference of:

4.32 hp
2.22 ft-lbs of torque

I'm guessing the desmog and retune of the FE 450 bridges that gap. Of course, a 500 EXC with same mods would also benefit similarly.

So when I look at dirt bikes to use as dual sports the thing I look at is gearing and RPM at 70mph and the ability to still use 1st gear in technical terrain.
The stock gearing on the 500 is 14-45 and at 70mph is running 5652rpm just above peak torque. The 450 with stock gearing of 14-52 at 70mph is turning 6251 just above it's peak torque. The delta of 599rpm means the 500 is working less to cruise down the road. The 500 in 1st gear at 1600rpm you are going 6.2mph. the 450 in 1st gear at 1600rpm 5.6mph. You could play with gearing and get them close on RPM then you would feel the difference between the 500 and 450. For dual sporting I would honestly choose the 500 and if I wanted white i'd wait or go looking for a 501. If i was looking for a dirt bike to hit a few paved roads conecting true dirt bike riding single track I would lean toward the 450.

See if it has a Magura slave cylinder. If so, might as well pick up a Brembo or a Recluse replacement.

For your reading pleasure:

Back