• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Re: IF I were to get a dirt bike, what should I get?

XR250R like bwdmax sounds perfect. Remember you're buying your next bike not your last bike. :lol2:

:tab The "abnormal" thing is not intentional. If you start on big bikes, you develop "coping skills" that compensate for trying to ride a big bike without proper experience. Those coping skills are what lead to the abnormal part. If you learn proper skills on a smaller bike, it will help you tremendously with riding the bigger bikes. Having to unlearn those coping skills can be a REAL pain. I know because that is the route I went. I did not grow up riding dirt bikes. My first serious experience in dirt was on a BMW R1150GS at almost 38 years old... :flip: Then I moved to a KLR 650 (lighter, but still a heavy bike). Finally, I got my KTM 530 EXC. That is still not a small bike, but compared to what I had been riding, it was a feather weight. My riding skills advanced considerably once I got the KTM. That was back in 2011. I still have moments where I have to fight back those coping skills I learned to survive with on the 1150 GS. I have ridden smaller bikes than my 530 and it really does make a difference when riding technical stuff and single track trails. I CAN ride my 530 in the SHNF trails, but it is WAY more fun on my friend's KTM 300 two stroke.

Why, because its lighter?

:tab It is considerably lighter. The suspension and gearing is better for rough trails. The power delivery is like a tractor, rather than peaky like the older two strokes. It was just REALLY easy to ride compared to my 530. Of course, my buddy made riding my 530 look like a walk in the park, but he is light years better than me in the dirt. Keep in mind though, it is a 300 two stroke and if you are not careful, it can go to ludicrous speed ridiculously fast! However, even with my extremely limited trail riding experience, I found it to be fun and confidence inspiring.

:tab Now the 250 KTM two stroke he had... That kind of scared the pooh out of me. It was crazy fast :shock: As I was about to pull away, he causally mentioned, "Be sure to open it up when you get some room... but make sure you keep the back brake covered so you don't loop it..." He wasn't kidding :eek2:

I suggest an XR400. A good one can be had for well under $3000. I think that's what you said your price range was.

They're bullet proof, parts are widely available and easy to work on. They're more than capable of moving big guys around.

The only real downside is kick start only. If you can get past that, then that should be the bike you get.

My 2 cents.

FYI: Full disclosure, I have one and love it. I've thought about selling it many times and always change my mind.

And proforguns was not one of the guys that I was referring to that really knows his stuff. LMAO.

Just saw this the best cuts are always true.:doh:

But the unanswered question is which oil should he use?

How about the Maico 700 ? Or a CR500. And don't leave out a 79 RM400. I've had 2 out of those three. ?

Well that just caused me to re-watch On Any Sunday for the um-tenth time. Funny how much I still like it...

I suggest an XR400. A good one can be had for well under $3000. I think that's what you said your price range was.

They're bullet proof, parts are widely available and easy to work on. They're more than capable of moving big guys around.

The only real downside is kick start only. If you can get past that, then that should be the bike you get.

My 2 cents.

FYI: Full disclosure, I have one and love it. I've thought about selling it many times and always change my mind.

That’s a really good suggestion. For any and everything you might want a dirt bike to do or be, the XR 400 would be hard to beat.

Consensus leans to my recommendation....$1500 20 year old xr / dr / xt. Just do it!

So today I drug my worthless, no good, *** XR650L to Walnut Springs to an off road park ( www.time2ride.com ).

What a flipping blast it was to ride those tight trails. It has been years ... decades ... since I've done such a thing. But this fat old man and this good-for-nothing pig did great. Didn't have to generate a lot of RPM or momentum to climb out of the creek beds or loft over obstacles. Start to slow down while climbing out? just roll a bit of throttle and she pulled right out.

It was like a tractor. There were riders on lighter bikes there and they were obviously faster, especially in the twisty, narrow trails laid out amongst the trees. But it made it and put a grin on the rider's face.

And at the end of the ride, with a plated bike, I took off down the hiway to generate some air speed to aid in cooling off. Again, the bike approached 60mph without effort and not buzzing the motor.

Mission accomplished.

The 650 frame is bigger and I wasn't as cramped as I was on the DRZ. I'm 6 foot and #275, with large american *** and arthritic knees. I need the real estate the bigger frame offers.

I think what gets lost in threads like these is the competitive nature that we humans are and how much fun it is to spend other people's money, especially when we have spent insane amounts of money on a specific platform that we happen to like. That becomes the go-to bike de-jour.

My only regret to owning this over-weight, under-powered pig of a bike is that it isn't fuel injected. But to remedy that would require writing more checks.

Compromises ... life is full of them.

I'd recommend a nice CRF450R.... plated already would be a plus.

So today I drug my worthless, no good, *** XR650L to Walnut Springs to an off road park ( www.time2ride.com ).

What a flipping blast it was to ride those tight trails. It has been years ... decades ... since I've done such a thing. But this fat old man and this good-for-nothing pig did great. Didn't have to generate a lot of RPM or momentum to climb out of the creek beds or loft over obstacles. Start to slow down while climbing out? just roll a bit of throttle and she pulled right out.

It was like a tractor. There were riders on lighter bikes there and they were obviously faster, especially in the twisty, narrow trails laid out amongst the trees. But it made it and put a grin on the rider's face.

And at the end of the ride, with a plated bike, I took off down the hiway to generate some air speed to aid in cooling off. Again, the bike approached 60mph without effort and not buzzing the motor.

Mission accomplished.

The 650 frame is bigger and I wasn't as cramped as I was on the DRZ. I'm 6 foot and #275, with large american *** and arthritic knees. I need the real estate the bigger frame offers.

I think what gets lost in threads like these is the competitive nature that we humans are and how much fun it is to spend other people's money, especially when we have spent insane amounts of money on a specific platform that we happen to like. That becomes the go-to bike de-jour.

My only regret to owning this over-weight, under-powered pig of a bike is that it isn't fuel injected. But to remedy that would require writing more checks.

Compromises ... life is full of them.

The issue is not that can't you ride a 650 in the tight stuff... the issue is why would you want to! ;-) I say that jokely by the way. I know it can be done. I have no doubt I could get that thing all around, but these days I'd rather have a lighter scoot. Scott Summers proved it could be done and done fast. :eek2: He won seasons of the GNCC than a lot of folks on much lighter bikes. He is the champion for the 650 as is john campbell out in the Baja (IMO the kind of terrain where that bike shines for sure).

6315792034_fb0b8eb3e6_b.jpg

Kind of like taking a big adventure bike where its not supposed to be. You can get through it if you don't care how tired you are at the other side or what the bike looks like when your done!

I used to have a DR350. It went every where I asked it to. Good lord was that a heavy bike, but way fun. I had it on all kinds of nasty single track. Miles of smiles on that thing... a few heart aches.

It put me on my head in a flat field when hitting a square edged rock hard at speed that was sunk into the ground. That is what I get for out riding the suspension on that bike. Front end soaked it up, but the rebound damping on the shock was way light and the spring still had energy after blowing through the damping. The rear end jumped up like a pogo stick and a the seat hit my butt so hard it threw me over the handlebars. A overnight stay in the hospital, a concussion, and a floating chunk of bone in my elbow. My 300 would smile and wink at that rock while soaking up the hit and sending me on down the trail in one piece.

Last edited:

And we all know what that letters stand for. LOL

XR650R weighs about 50 pounds less than the XR650L. the R model makes twice the power and is kickstart only.

Also, the R is water cooled. The L is oil cooled. They are VERY different bikes in terms of performance.

Well Jarrett, you've heard A LOT of feedback. What's your thinking so far?

Consensus leans to my recommendation....$1500 20 year old xr / dr / xt. Just do it!

I concur - and ride it 'til you make it beg for mercy. Then you'll have a better idea of what you really want ... or what you really need.

Back