• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

I don't have the shinning example of a Gen 1 but you are welcome to give it a try anytime. I'm up in Denton.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

On the other hand, my opportunities to ride on paved country roads seem endless. And when I'm riding along and do find an unpaved road that goes somewhere, I'd like to be on a bike that can handle it easily and with reasonable comfort.

I also want to have a bike that is a little smaller than my Africa Twin, easier to pick up and able to get it in and out of my truck bed so I can take it when we do RV trips, which we like to do frequently. And most of the places we go end up also having lots more pavement than dirt to ride on.

Based on all of that, it seems like having an fairly inexpensive second bike of the dual sport flavor that favors the street over the dirt would make sense. From what I can tell, the KLR seems to fit that bill better than the others for that. I just wish it were a little lighter and had EFI, but that doesn't exist at this point, it seems.

I'm jumping in late in this thread, so apologies if it's already been mentioned, but a second generation V-Strom 650 might check off some of the boxes on your wish list. I traded a 2011 KLR for a 2013 V-Strom and was much happier riding it on pavement than I was on the KLR. And if your off-pavement riding is limited to gravel roads, the V-Strom was fine for that.

Have you considered a tractor?(xr650l)

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Have you considered a tractor?(xr650l)

Great option if you want more capable off-road. Not as great on road but not bad

That is what I would be looking to buy as replacement. That bike looks new compared to mine.

In commuter mode at 50K

20180530_063628-L.jpg

Get a cute pink one like Rich’s. :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

"It may come as a surprise, but I don't really have a desire to try and tackle all the worst roads that Big Bend has to offer. I'd rather just find some nice, scenic, dirt or gravel roads and piddle down them looking at the scenery."

You know what kind of riding you want to do, and for that a KLR sounds right!

I don't think there are any difficult roads in the National Park. The state park can get difficult though. I'm talking about riding a 650 size bike .

The V-strom has a 19in wheel if I'm not mistaken, but there may be a 17in version as well.

I've ridden a KLR before and really like it on pavement, but the Versys was way more fun so that's where I went. The front tire off road can be different kinds of fun at any speed to say the least.

I still want something like a KLR or maybe just a 250 as I would be back roading it from my house to most everywhere anyway.

Last edited:
San Juan county sheriff's in new Mexico ran a fleet of gen 1s as well.

That had to be fun training. I did motor unit training on an Electra Glide... amazing what a bike can really do when your not paying for the maintenance .

Getting to be the longest thread ever. Lol.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

That had to be fun training. I did motor unit training on an Electra Glide... amazing what a bike can really do when your not paying for the maintenance .
I'd assume those bikes will have a very short service life..

That's cool the V Strom has a 19 inch wheel. Still heavy if I remember.

You bet it's heavy, just like your at.

I weighed my accessories before I installed and with the bike it's right over 500 lbs. You already have this represented with your at but better.

That's funny, they say that Laredo PD added all terrain vehicles to their fleet but then they show a picture of KLRs'. I say, FAKE NEWS. :lol2:

Back