• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Gen 1 or Gen 2?

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Lol, right now I'm taking offers on the CRF250L. I had no idea the bike was so popular.

I posted it last week, then went on a short vacation thinking it would take time to find a buyer. They blew up my email while I was gone and now I've got 6 guys outbidding each other to come pick it up today. Crazy.

I suspect I'm going to grab a KLR with the proceeds.

:clap::clap:

Serious question, other than the fitting in your truck thing, will the KLR do anything better than the AT?

Last edited:
The ammo can panniers are also a nice indestructible add-on. The whole bike needs just a few tools to fix anything. A hammer, duct tape, zip ties, Swiss army knife and a bottle of wd40 for chain lubes. Those tools can be housed in you 4" pvc tool tube.
Absolutely! When you drop it and break the milk crate top box and dent the tractor supply muffler, you won't even feel bad about it.

I'm not buying my last bike, just my next bike :lol2:

Words I definitely live by! :clap:

The trick is buying right and then you can cycle (excuse the pun) through a few and either get them out of your system :giveup: or make it a keeper :rider:

"I like MacDaddy's axiom. I'm not buying my last bike, just my next bike"

Great answer and enough said, I agree!

Words I definitely live by! :clap:

The trick is buying right and then you can cycle (excuse the pun) through a few and either get them out of your system :giveup: or make it a keeper :rider:

Didn't you buy the 500? Great purchase and saved me some dollars, lol.

09 KTM 400 XC-W Plated (for sale)

Details? lol

09 KTM 400 XC-W Plated (for sale)

Details? lol

It's a heavily accessorized awesome bike. I won't high-jack this thread but will be posting a FS thread pretty soon. That's if my brother doesn't get spousal approval to buy it.

It's a heavily accessorized awesome bike. I won't high-jack this thread but will be posting a FS thread pretty soon. That's if my brother doesn't get spousal approval to buy it.

Thanks

Fill the empty parking spot quick before something else shows up...... [emoji6]

So I've got my Africa Twin and its a fun bike, but big. I've been wondering what it would be like to have a smaller dirt bike that I can throw around and
really run off road with it.

I have a 5 acre pasture at my place and took the Africa Twin in there and it was... not really that fun. Seems like a light, more torquey bike might be more fun there. And on trails that are too tight for the Africa Twin.

I'm a big guy. 260 lbs before putting on all the gear. Over 6 foot tall. Decently strong. So wondering IF (and that's a big if) I wanted to get a "dirt" bike, what should I be looking at? 250? 450? 650?

I'm in the same boat! And about the same size. 6'1 240. I'm thinking about a 250. But I want a true dual sport, not a dirt bike. I don't want to have to rebuild the engine. If I understand things, the dirt bike engines aren't meant for everyday riding and the top ends need to be rebuilt unlike the true CRF 250L or the new 450L dual sport bikes.

I'm in the same boat! And about the same size. 6'1 240. I'm thinking about a 250. But I want a true dual sport, not a dirt bike. I don't want to have to rebuild the engine. If I understand things, the dirt bike engines aren't meant for everyday riding and the top ends need to be rebuilt unlike the true CRF 250L or the new 450L dual sport bikes.
Actually, the 450l has a detuned crf450r engine(lower comp ratio with a 6 speed) so it will be higher maintenance, just like a ktm would be. Honda should have just kept making the full xr line. Low maintenance tractors.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Actually, the 450l has a detuned crf450r engine(lower comp ratio with a 6 speed) so it will be higher maintenance, just like a ktm would be. Honda should have just kept making the full xr line. Low maintenance tractors.

You know what? You're right! That kicks that one out for me.

http://www.advpulse.com/adv-bikes/things-to-know-honda-crf450l/

5. It Still Has Dirt Bike Maintenance Intervals
While being based on the motocross bike is a huge plus for performance, what does it mean for maintenance? We asked Honda and they said that the CRF450L has an oil change interval of 600 miles and a valve check interval of 1,800 miles. While that seems short when viewed as a street bike, when thinking about trail bikes or dirt-bike-based dual-sports, that’s changing the oil after six 100-mile rides, which is well within reason. Plus, OEM recommendations are notoriously conservative. If you plan on cruising down dirt roads at a quarter throttle, you aren’t stressing the engine like blasting single track at race pace.

I don't think so. It's just cheaper than buying a new truck basically. Also, I won't feel as bad when I drop the KLR being a third of the price of the AT. I assume being 100+ lbs lighter that it will be easier to pick up as well.

:tab I think you will be surprised when you go to pick it up... They are a bit top heavy, so even though the curb weight is lower, it will feel heavy when you lift it. My Gen I KLR was about as much work to lift as my 1200 GS. The GS has a low CoG, so unless it is upside down :wary: It is usually not hard to pick up. My 530 is a breeze to pick up, even when loaded with luggage.

Not the most sensible purchase, but is any motorcycle really? :)

:tab I look at it as cheap therapy compared to paying for a real therapist ;-) So yeah, it is totally sensible and absolutely necessary :-P

I like MacDaddy's axiom. I'm not buying my last bike, just my next bike :lol2:

:tab ... or another bike... :trust:

I would not worry about the 12k unless you plan on long trips which will rack up miles. You have the AT for that. Look at the pictures closely and you will see he has most of the important upgrades done from what can be seen. You would have to ask about sub-frame bolts and suspension but I bet those are done as well.
Getting excited to welcome a new KLR'er into the fold.

Now we are

Back