• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

Nice bike.

Since you really aren't into the dirt that much these days, are you going to sell the AT? The only place the AT will perform significantly better than the 1200X is on harder / more technical dirt roads requiring more suspension travel and the 21" front wheel of the AT.

The 1200X should handle the occasional gravel road with ease and since you've decided you're not really that in to DS riding....the 1200X should handle what you want to ride.

Nothing wrong with having 2 bikes (lol...I've got 6).... but I think you'll find yourself riding one bike most of the time and at some point, you'll feel bad for the one left at home in the garage.

Thanks. No, I figure the AT will be my "dirt" bike and the VFR will be my pavement/long miles bike as I plan to keep street tires on it.

I just like having two in case one is down or at the shop for some reason.

At least, these are the justifications that went through my head as I was signing the paperwork :)

If I end up not riding one of them for a long period of time, I'll sell it and keep the ones I do.

Yep... makes sense to me. That's the justification I use for 6 so it's easily used for 2 :)

Every bike has a purpose...My Wing is my 2UP / Long distance bike, the Super Duke is my solo street bike, the GS is my ADV bike, the WR is the dirt bike, the GSXR is the track bike (and a reminder of when I went really fast for a bit) and the Grom is the grocery getter / errand bike.

It is difficult to ride them all though....in fact, I haven't ridden the GSXR in 2 years and the WR only once this year. But...I keep them because I might have a situation where they'd be useful and you seem to have to give a used bike away in today's market so I just keep them.

Anyway...congrats on the new VFR1200X....they're pretty neat bikes. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

I had two VFR 800s. Of all the bikes I've ever ridden over the years, the V4 motor was the most intoxicating when I was "in the groove". They totally encourage/reward smooth riding and the sound is just heavenly (especially with a good pipe!). Between those two bikes, I racked up right at 100K miles of riding in about four years. Never had an issue with either one.

Great new bike Jarrett. And I agree with 2wheelnut, more bikes are a good thing. My gsa is lotsa pavement and still capable of light dirt along the way. (Rider ability limits bike potential). Xrl for pure dirt rides of limited distance. (Not riding it all the way to big bend!) and the venerable klr for those rides where I’m not sure what I’m in for, such as the TARA rides.

Plus, finding out a member lives just up the road but currently doesn’t have a bike to ride (howdy aspr) and having something for them to ride is a bonus for me.

lol, I wasn't going to post it :)

45032945-2057392497711460-3374057364922564608-n.jpg

Joe's sweet VFR at RTB pushed me over the edge.

Just took it out for a night spin on the backroads when I got it home and whew it's fast.

Jeez, you got it? Awesome!

What happened with DCT challenge at RTB?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

Maybe for the better, huh

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

It's all Joe's fault for bringing that sweet VFR to RTB ;)

I’m not taking the blame! You were drooling on my bike before I even got the kick stand down!
I just put on a new set of tires so we are going to have to do a ride and tear up some back roads. I finally got the mounting brackets worked out on my aux tank so I can show you how far that thing will run on fumes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey joe, @dosxxs , I had my first issue with the Mitas e07 after rtb,

4000 miles

840dd54f1dc61d8fa71cc0543cce5957.jpg

ff3747cf378afaf3154565af0f4ad20d.jpg

7e8731cfbca29ebef26459386bb36cea.jpg

I sent these to the seller, they are going to give me 1/2 off a new one.

4000 miles

Dang! Did you tell them you were running it backwards? I already had a new Battlewing on the shelf for a front so I ordered another rear of the same. I will burn these up before June and go with a more aggressive tire front and rear. I like leaning this thing in the corners and these Stones grip pretty good but I only get about 6k out of a rear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

4000 miles

Mine all do that, haven't had one fail completely yet.

Those cracks just open up more surface area Kevin. Should give you more traction in the loose stuff.

I wonder if a Mitas E-07 that was pointing the right way has ever cracked?
I've have about 100k miles on E-07 Dakars and haven't had any cracks. I do air them up to 40 psi (even on dirt/gravel) and always mount them in the correct direction though.

I did however have a bunch of sidewall cracks last week. But that's what happens when you ride a flat tire at 75 mph for about 8 miles. It was pluming smoke and red hot when I finally stopped. LOL I used all my string plugs up but probably needed another dozen or more to have a chance.
77610ee95dddfc5ff39b2dba3da5f889.jpg

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

Back