• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

I'm not sure if this one actually counts or not, but I picked up another dirt bike/dual sport type bike yesterday:

View attachment 228285

Electric bikes are a hoot.

288 lbs with more torque than my Africa Twin :D

It is a blast to hooligan this thing around my country roads, quietly.
The Duel Sport Experiment Thread Strikes Back
que heavy breathing

Last edited:
The new Lightning Strike http://lightningmotorcycle.com/lightning-strikes-twice/ track ready 150mph 150 mile range ohlins equipped street bike with 35 minute recharge and $12,995 msrp may wake some otherwise naysaying gas die hards to electric. It also surely stabbed Harley's 110 mile range $29,995 Livewire in the lithium guts.

For the doubters, just look up lightning's ls218 limited production bike thats been blazing around for a couple of years. 218 mph. 168 feet of torque, 200 hp, 100 mile range.

After a while, on a short wheel base bike, more torque is kind of pointless unless you have a wheelie bar... :flip:

The real kicker for the electric bike is that the max torque is generally available immediately instead of having to build up to it like a gas engine. Add in wheelie control, maybe a little weight on the front fender... and launching it could be a real hoot!

Jarrett, I bet that bike would have been a LOT of fun this past weekend in the DART class!

Did they give any outline as far as running the batteries until they are lown charge till high?

Just this deal:

Not what I expected. But I'm sure they have their research, and I'm no scientist.

My energy and ability runs out before an hour anyway so for real dirt biking I’d plug n play

My buddy is an OSET dealer. I just had lunch with him and he had the top of the line Oset 24.0 R stored sideways in between the front and middle seat of his spinter van. Would you ever consider this with a gas trials bike? 2 stroke fuel, oily chain, grease, etc, etc... Together we've ridden mini bikes like crf150's and ttr125's and crf100's for years and he says the Oset is the ultimate play bike and his favorite so far. Zero maintenance, instant torque, wheelie and stoppie machine. Sure, probably not a match in any way for a gas gas or beta trials bike, but versus the other trunkable motorcycles (z50?) it is king. 112 pounds ready to ride. 1 - 3 hour battery life in trials environment. Constant speed, 15 or 20 miles per hour, about an hour. So not a great motorcycle, but a great play bike in the right environment. And no clutch!!!

Just this deal:

I'd be willing to bet a LOT of owners will NOT follow that recommendation and will just leave them plugged in all the time. It amazes me that they don't recognize this and just create the necessary electronics to take care of leaving it plugged in after it is charged. Who wants to constantly have to keep checking on it to make sure they unplug it after it is charged. Most folks will want to plug it in and forget about it until their next ride, at which time they will expect it to be fully charged.

Back