• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

My first (and NOT last) trip to Big Bend Ranch & State Park 12/28/11-01/01/12

people keep saying it is the rider not the bike...

I remain unconvinced :rofl:

Scott, that linkup is something that DS riders should work with the park attendants on. They seem open to responsible riders, I think it would make a great loop.

I've ridden Fresno with and without a steering damper on essentially the same bike. It made a huge difference for me....

Scott, that linkup is something that DS riders should work with the park attendants on. They seem open to responsible riders, I think it would make a great loop.

I've ridden Fresno with and without a steering damper on essentially the same bike. It made a huge difference for me....

:thumb: It's almost like cheating. :clap: Sam

And it is more the rider than the bike. Like Scott said, pick the proper tool. Sam

Really awesome report on BBRSP, and I am so glad that Tourmeister and his buddies could get out and see first hand how its one of Texas' dual sport gems! Yes, dual sporting riding (street legal motorcycles) on BBRSP roads (public 4X4 roads) is new to the park. As Tourmeister says, responsible riding in the park is critical to TPWD continuing to allow motorcycle access in the park. There is NO off-road riding in BBRSP. Both Parks Dept staff and the current park administrator are very welcoming to dual sport riders, and that is how it should stay. The park administrator offered to open a northern section of the park's road that is currently closed off, due to some issues that need to be worked out. At the next BUTT ride we will take him up on the offer to open up this loop, just for the event. We also hope to continue to work with the park and staff to connect some sections of the park, but this is not for sure, and will take time.

However, as it is BBRSP offers great dual sport riding opportunities!

One of the highlights at this years RideDualSport B.U.T.T. ride was finally making it through the Cienega Mountains... and it was really cool to have done it with Tourmeister, Rsquared, Subcomm and Portero72. The entrance and exit to the Cienegas was fairly difficult - and with great relief Rsquared located the exit from the riverbed through the trees.

These photos are from our 2010 RideDualSport B.U.T.T ride.
Other than IZZ and his two buddies - no one had ever traveled the Cienega Loop. We tried it the day after IZZ we had no GPS tracks to follow.
We managed to get as far as the Lower Alamito campground, but we could not find the "road" or any tire tracks leading out of the campground. The Cienega was virgin territory. It was probably good that we did not continue, because we were pretty exhausted - battling deep sand washes and ruts - time was running short - and we did not want to risk any injuries. Even getting that far was exhilarating though!

BUTT_2010_08.jpg

BUTT_2010_02.jpg

BUTT_2010_03.jpg

BUTT_2010_04.jpg

BUTT_2010_05.jpg

BUTT_2010_06.jpg

BUTT_2010_07.jpg

now a major motion slide show..

[ame="http://youtu.be/MSJM8MKyEZo"]BBRSP 2011 SS - YouTube[/ame]

One of the highlights at this years RideDualSport B.U.T.T. ride was finally making it through the Cienega Mountains... and it was really cool to have done it with Tourmeister, Rsquared, Subcomm and Portero72. The entrance and exit to the Cienegas was fairly difficult - and with great relief Rsquared located the exit from the riverbed through the trees.

Cienega Mountains ride... yeah... It's been a week now and each time my mind reflects back on each day of riding (which is frequent), I feel a big grin come across my face...

now a major motion slide show..

Well Done James!

Last edited:
HOORAY - Scott has a real Bike Now!!!! :clap: I want one Too! :trust:

Great report everybody, Wish I was there. Need to clean the garage :eek2 and bring both bikes back up to 100%

Have been getting the riding bug again :help: and can't shake it. :giveup:

Reading Mexico and Central American trip reports that are griving me crazy - but the timing isn't right maybe in the fall?

May be able to subdue them for awhile with a Big Bend fix (hopefully)

:rider: Went with Richard, Izzie, and an old flat tracker (I can't remember his name) a few years ago and had a great time. Can only imagine the fun on

a 530. Hard for me to even type KTM - :lol2:

Thanks a lot guys for the stories and pictures of Big Bend. Now that I've purchased a street bike 4 months ago I'm deciding I also need a DS or dirt bike. I don't have the money to support both but will find a way! I used to ride sand dunes in the SoCal desert and thought I could get by with just a street bike, but noooooo... you guys are killing me!!

No worries. Very soon you'll be able to rent one from a great guy who sets up at Big Bend Motor Inn.

Voni
sMiling

[ame="http://youtu.be/m3VNYr_u6iM"]Big Bend Ranch State Park - YouTube[/ame]

Cool vid James!

Btw, how are you liking that KTM? :trust:

Truly excellent RR. Thoroughly enjoyed it.

Thanks. We are heading back to that area in a few weeks. Hope to so some more exploring in the area in the far NW corner of the park.

Scott, are y'all staying in the SP, or hanging out with the crowd at Richard's ride?

I might have to load the 250 in the truck and join y'all out there for a day.

I'm staying at the Chisos Mining Co Motel in Terlingua.

I think I am headed that way in April. The ct90 is going to try to climb some of those rocky hills. It looks like I might put the xr250 tank on it for extra gas. I am staying at Study Butte with another TWTer.

I have been waiting for someone to tell me it is a bad idea to use the ct90 on BBSP but no one bit. There are some hills in this thread that is fairly aggressive and I would just choose to pass on most of those. Does this mean I can't get around the park on the ct? I just want to smell the roses.

I have been waiting for someone to tell me it is a bad idea to use the ct90 on BBSP but no one bit. There are some hills in this thread that is fairly aggressive and I would just choose to pass on most of those. Does this mean I can't get around the park on the ct? I just want to smell the roses.

Most of the roads around Saucedo are doable on your CT90. The one you will want to stay away from is marked as unmantained 4wd only. That's the one with King Kong hill IIRC. You can do a lot of casual riding without getting into any trouble.

:tab Well... almost all the roads we did have parts you could do on the CT90, but then they almost all had parts you probably would not want to do on a CT90. The lack of ground clearance, suspension travel, and power would make it a hard ride and likely tear up the bike. The main road in and out of the park is doable, as is Casa Piedra Rd, but once you get off on those side roads, things can get pretty rough.

Definitely stay off Oso loop. But I think if he took his time he could ride down to the Chorro Vista. He could even to the Solitario until he got down into the creek bed. That would be tough on the little trailie. Low speed and picking his line correct, it is doable.

Back