• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

I thought I saw Sipapu in there. I have to add this food recommendation for anyone who travels 518: Teresa's Tamales in Cleveland NM. TO DIE FOR.

Great ride report. I really admire the "work" it takes to get the pictures of courthouses and downtowns. I too often zoom by as I think "that would have been good". Nice pace. I need to emulate.

Man that bike looks great and trip looks fun, before it's too late I need to get pass being a home body. It's not easy, lol. thanks for sharing.

Nice looking foal. Beautiful family. Pretty scenery. Thanks for posting. I predict many more trips to come. Traveling is addictive. My dad lived in Taos and my brother still does. I recognize some of your pics. I still stop and look, even after riding there nearly every year for the last 48 years.

Glad your inaugural Gold Wing trip turned out well. It looked like fun. What was your total for miles traveled and how does your rear tire look now ? With the weight and power of the GW, I would have had some concern for the tire life.

Sometimes those become long friendships, sometimes they are fleeting. Me and this guy ripped it up in Colorado for half a day a few years ago. We got to where he had to go west and I had to go east, so we fist bumped and off we went. Didn't even catch the guy's name. Motorcycle people are weird in this way, had it happen a few times.
SeeYa_zpsqvmpdnta-L.png

I almost did that with the guy in California but remembered to turn around and get his adv name.

Day 5
View attachment 304292

This was the get home day, so not many pics. Started off chilly, ended up hot.

The one pic I took was in Eden:

View attachment 304290

Cool thing happened though. I rode by this gas station in Sweetwater. I passed it, but then got a feeling I should turn around and get gas. Wasn't sure where the next gas stop was.

So I pull in and there's a bike there with a bag on it at the pump. I strike up a conversation that went like this:

Me: Hey, where you coming from?
Him: Denver? You?
Me: Taos area. Where are you headed?
Him: New Braunfels...
Me. ... Seriously? Me too...
Him: Really? That's crazy. Want to ride back together?
Me: Sure
Him: I like to ride fast, that ok?
Me:
View attachment 304293

The guy is a life long rider with a bunch of motorcycles. He was riding his son's bike back from CO for him. The wild part, he lives about a mile from my house. And we meet hundreds of miles away riding back from the mountains. Wild.

Our mid ride selfie:

View attachment 304291

The other crazy part is his phone that he was using for directions blew out of his Ram X-Grip 5 miles down the road and got smashed. So, thankfully my GPS was working and he followed me back. Maybe that's why we met, so I could be his guide home? Strange deal, for sure.

What a great trip though. I was a little nervous setting off solo on a used bike with who knows what history and old tires on it, but it worked flawlessly.

REALLY impressed with the Gold Wing DCT after this trip. I put it through a lot on this trip, including an impromptu trackday-like session with the other guy as we neared the house. And it did it all effortlessly. It may be big, but that bike ain't no cruiser. It will get around a corner surprisingly well. And 500+ miles in no big deal on it. It is a helluva bike. I get it now.
You used a GPS? What is the world coming too.

Right at 1800 miles. That's probably just a day trip for serious Gold Wingers :)

View attachment 304297

How does it look?

View attachment 304298
1800 miles is a fair trip for any scooter, IMHO! LOL The rear tire still has some life, but I would get a new on before another sizable trip. The last part of the tread seems to always go away quicker that the top layers, My lifetime cycle buddy got one of this gen GWs when they first came out. His first rear tire went away pretty quickly with the weight and outstanding power. But then, he is also a racer and tends to throttle it up! Glad you made it back home and thanks for taking all of the TWT group on the ride.

The wild part, he lives about a mile from my house. And we meet hundreds of miles away riding back from the mountains. Wild.
In 2012, SWMBO and I were riding the various passes in Colorado and were filling up one morning after leaving the hotel. Two bikes were in front of us at the station and they had Texas plates. I got the attention of one of the riders and pointed to the Two Wheeled Texans sticker on my windshield. He said "I'm a member too". He and his son were riding and the wife was following along in the car. I don't remember the names but we rode along together for several hours until they had to go in a different direction than us. I always carry my TWT banner with me as you never know when it might come in handy.

TWT in CO.jpg

What a great trip though. I was a little nervous setting off solo on a used bike with who knows what history and old tires on it, but it worked flawlessly.
There will be no stopping you now.

And it did it all effortlessly. It may be big, but that bike ain't no cruiser. It will get around a corner surprisingly well. And 500+ miles in no big deal on it. It is a helluva bike. I get it now.
I think it surprises a LOT of people. The pre-2018 bikes are a bit of a luxo-barge, but the newer bikes really stand up to their ST1800 nickname.

With 1800cc that tire had little chance of extended range with Jarrett s mitt.

So what was that bike your BFF was riding

Great report and review of the GW. I’m “looking” as SWMBO says she’s not riding with me on the S10. I just wince at what the price of entry into that mode of transportation.

Great report and review of the GW. I’m “looking” as SWMBO says she’s not riding with me on the S10. I just wince at what the price of entry into that mode of transportation.
You can buy an older 1800 pretty economically to see if its something for you and SWMBO to enjoy together. They last forever.

We bought our Wing in 2012 and it primarily gets used only for two up riding. It currently has 72K on it and works like new.

This is where we have been.

Attachments

• IMG_20211005_082030465_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20211005_082030465_HDR.jpg
    336.4 KB · Views: 143
You can buy an older 1800 pretty economically to see if its something for you and SWMBO to enjoy together. They last forever.

We bought our Wing in 2012 and it primarily gets used only for two up riding. It currently has 72K on it and works like new.

This is where we have been.

What are those things in each state? Lights?

Surprised no FL or Pacific Northwest yet.

Back