• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

My IBA RAT attempt

Splash

User's account inactive by request
Inactive Member
Reaction score
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Harkins
I’m going to attempt the IBA RAT starting sometime this morning.
I think I have the glitches worked out of my 04 wing and I have been cleared after my emergency leg surgery to give it a go.

It’s about 3150 miles around the perimeter of Texas.

I would go with you but I'm afraid I would get a bit cranky after the first day haha. Good luck !

:popcorn:

Completely insane. I love it.
Good luck and good weather!

I didn't know there was an IBA RAT. Have a great ride and enjoy the journey. This is a much better time of year to do it than when I rode one in February 2014 when the temps ranged from 82° in McAllen down to 34° in Dalhart.

So it’s midnight and I’m in Uvade. It appears my findmespot shut off or malfunctioned when I left Alice. What a rough day. It started with 90 minutes of sitting while they cleared 183 south of Luling. South Padre Island had a very pleasant 107 heat index and 46 miles of 35 mph traffic.

I’m going to head west to Del Rio in a minutes if I can get a decent room there.

I’m hoping my SWconnect is tracking correctly. Otherwise, it’s not going to be official.

My leg they worked on is paining me pretty good, but it keeps me from thinking about my shoulder.

I must be the only person that can’t get tracking right.

Tex

I see you ~35mi Del-Rio-ward of Uvalde @0115 and SPOT dropped a new breadcrumb on Refresh, so it seems to be working correctly now.
:rider:

I can't tell if he stopped in Dell Rio according to the time stamps (if at all). Shows him almost in terlingua at 8.28am wed.

Did he actually stop in Dell rio? Hes been riding for almost 24 hours? I must be missing something on the spot

Hate these spot things, start getting concerned, just have to leave it and let these riders ride.

Appears he stopped for the night in Andrews. The Spot at 23:xx last evening was about 30 miles west of Andrews, the next Spot was at 08:20 this morning at Andrews.
Time to get up and hit the road.
Good Luck and Safe Ride to you STing.

Bud...

Good night sleep hopefully at the lovely
446622_9ZCS_0OqVwjtOFKcAXZYmAV6lxdzD3ZHr0FIgidEvyU.jpg

8.55am. Hes on his way again headed north to the top of the panhandle

Roughly 39 hours on the road yesterday .

I think this maybe the criteria he is shooting for:
Ride the perimeter of Texas, clockwise or anti-clockwise, stopping at 18 mandatory checkpoints, including start/finish point, in order within the alloted time period.

RAT Insanity - less than 85 hours

RAT Insanity Gold - less than 70 hours

He still on course to be an insane rat !

Last edited:
Me too. In this heat and the hours on the seat, he’s rocking it!

Well folks the wind and heat in the panhandle definitely kicked my butt. I realized about Childress there was really no way for me to hit the 70 hour mark.

I’m not sure 70 is doable, the roads and Kermit are absolutely crap, not to mention the oil field truck traffic.

Did have an adventure yesterday morning traveling from Big Bend to Presidio. I suspect many have ridden that route on 170, FUN RIDE!, normally. Big storms from east of Sanderson into the park and the surrounding areas. Result, I had 17 water and mud crossings. Number 4 didn’t like my wing apparently, it decided it needed a left side mud bath. It was a mess.

I’m just Lolly gagging the last 800- 900 miles. I have an extra 15 hours, lol.

Above posted at 2:05am. Ouch!

Sorry about the mud bath but you're still rock'n it. Keep us posted.

totally amazing. I've glad there are people in the world that do stuff like this. So I don't have to...

Amazing ride STing. The heat has to be tough. Be careful.

Last edited:
Back