• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

My Least Favorite Helicopter Ride So Far

Oy, did it get shattered?
I fractured mine with a blunt force shot to the back.
Not sure about shattered but fragmented into 3 pieces. Unfortunately a break right in the middle of the glenoid which is the smooth cup the ball of your arm goes into.

Thanks everyone for the well wishes.

Funny story. Apparently my family is/was planning an intervention. I was talking to my daughter last night and said something about being healed fast enough for a fall ride I want to do. She kind of hemmed and hawed and sounded funny. I was like, what? She says not to worry about it now but they'd all like to 'visit' with me when I'm feeling better. I gently let her know that nothing is changing moving forward but I do appreciate everyone's concern for my well-being. They just don't get it.

Some of us are fascinated with X-rays so if you get chance post up yours. And scars are cool, chicks dig scars. [emoji965][emoji965][emoji965][emoji2][emoji2][emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Heal up Bart. I have been there with broken ribs and several broken collarbone. You sure will learn how to use a bottle and replacement for getting up🤕 to take a leak.

Rocks are very unforgiving.... go thing you were riding with a good group.

Funny about the bottle. Got up twice to pee because I wasn't comfortable doing in the bed. After the tears dried I decided to give the bottle a try. First time I just sat in bed, dying to go, but my body was like, uh-uh, I ain't peeing in the bed. Eventually I was able and now I can do it while talking on the phone.......or typing on the internet. :-D

Funny story. Apparently my family is/was planning an intervention. I was talking to my daughter last night and said something about being healed fast enough for a fall ride I want to do. She kind of hemmed and hawed and sounded funny. I was like, what? She says not to worry about it now but they'd all like to 'visit' with me when I'm feeling better. I gently let her know that nothing is changing moving forward but I do appreciate everyone's concern for my well-being. They just don't get it.
It's good that they care for you. People that don't ride will never really get it and that's ok.

You will heal and want to ride again. They won't like it and you'll agree to disagree.

Someday we're all dying of something. I plan to live until that happens and I'm guessing you feel the same way.

We all will stop riding when the risk exceeds the reward. My guess is that you are a long way from that....

Continued prayers for quick healing and skilled doctors to facilitate that.

Funny about the bottle. Got up twice to pee because I wasn't comfortable doing in the bed. After the tears dried I decided to give the bottle a try. First time I just sat in bed, dying to go, but my body was like, uh-uh, I ain't peeing in the bed. Eventually I was able and now I can do it while talking on the phone.......or typing on the internet. :-D

Quite close to TMI........heal up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

No X-Ray pics yet but here's a couple from the site
IMG_7840.jpg

The MOST uncomfortable part of this entire ordeal.
IMG_7846.jpg

Stuffing a 10lb steak into a 5lb bag
IMG_7849.jpg

We negotiated down to about $5,000. I told them I only wanted to rent it, not buy it.
TG

Oh no! Just seeing this. Was at the ride as well and heard the story but did not realize this was you. Best wishes for a speedy and full recovery!

So I was the ride leader of Barts group when he went down. Only thing we could figure is his front tire went down FAST because there is no way an experienced rider like him would go down where he did.

He managed to augur into the only big rock around!
The helicopter pilot set his bird down in a small clearing in the woods about 75 yards away that was barely larger than the blade diameter! Those of us standing by swore it was not big enough!

We were coming up this county road going towards where he is laying. He hit that big rock on the right. If you look closely you can see his blue camelbak mouthpiece laying beside it.

The ambulance should have been there in 20 min but got confused as to the location and were not there after 1.5 hours so I rode up a mile to the top of the ridge and gave them GPS coordinates and here they came in 15 minutes!

All told, it was about 2.5 hrs from fall to copter ride out.

As I have said to many others, Arkansas roads and trails are not forgiving of a moment of inattention or in Barts case, bad luck!
aaed6894254889f292fa897bf9e3bb35.jpg
e080c8bc7526850286c24d0b5bf9ff19.jpg

Sent from my LG-H700 using Tapatalk

mikefjr, Thanks for the pics. First I've seen. Can't believe I went down on a road like that. I really don't remember anything up to the point of impact.

And thank you for getting my truck to my wife in MO. I was told yesterday I won't be driving for 6 weeks.

Trying to understand this so I can get back off-road again... If you don't mind me asking,

Were you running a tube in the front tire and at what air pressure were you running.?
Also, what brand of tire were you running.?

So sorry that you had to go through this. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Rex

Hope your recovery is as rapid and as painless as possible. Surgeries suck.

Had my copter ride in '99. Stupid crash back in the day when Fort Hood allowed dirt riding. Army copter plucked me out of there. Never did get a bill (Shhhhhh).

Everyday my left shoulder reminds of this day back in '99.

Fwiw... consumer reports had an article in their mag about a year ago describing how this whole helicopter ambulance stuff has gotten to be a ripoff racket. In remote rescue situations like copb8, sure...it's a reasonable solution. Mostly, though, it borders on a scam. I saw it happen several years ago at the Brazos valley offroad ranch during a hard enduro. Kid in front of me went over a cliff into a creek bed but his front tire caught a root. They brought in a helicopter when I could have hit the hospital with a good rifle from where we were. Access by vehicle would have been easier and much quicker. It made no sense. The really crazy part was he showed back up later that same day with some sore ribs. Can't imagine the cost his folks had to cover.

Fwiw... consumer reports had an article in their mag about a year ago describing how this whole helicopter ambulance stuff has gotten to be a ripoff racket

They gotta pay for them whirlybirds and crew by hook or crook.

Back