• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

My little project over the last eight months

Reaction score
1980 Honda CX500 Custom. Came to me as a trashed, wrecked, incomplete mess that probably would have been better off at a scrap yard, but it's a lot of fun now :D

You can watch me build most of it here:

tWLL2gK.jpg

G5Qnk7R.jpg

EKVTJhj.jpg

Looks good. Is there a before pic? (edit: sorry, did not see the video before asking, it is in there)

Wasn't this the same motor that was used in the early 80's Silverwing?

Last edited:
Yeah the GL500 and CX500 were the motors in slightly different frames.

I only had one image from before survive a hard drive failure :(

BUND4F4.jpg

What front end did you use?
While I am not crazy about the Cafe racer style, a CX engine is surely an oddball motor compared to all the other (usually inline 4) replicas.

Is the mono shock setup from a GL500? nevermind, see in the video you custom fab'ed it

No the GL500 uses a linked rear suspension. I just braced the swingarm a little and went direct. It's a CBR954RR shock with a Ninja 650 coil wrapped around it.

Should have watched the whole video before responding.

I am curious why did you have to cut up the rear wheel on the drive side?

Also, not sure what you used for the electronics, but Classic Octane has a good setup he uses (an M unit?), Link to one of his vids. He also uses some neat little LED's.

I tried to include i the video even the failed ideas...I wanted to mount a hyosung gt650 rear wheel but there just wasn’t enough meat back there to do it. That’s the wheel i was cutting on.

i’ve seen the munit and i might use one on the next build...it doesn’t have a good wiring harness. I’m of the mind that if it’s not broke and isn’t required to meet one of my goals, don’t change it. All the electronics for this bike were in good shape except the coils, so that’s all i changed (using R6 coils).

I’m working on some riding footage...it’s kind of hard to get anything interesting in my part of texas...all the roads are straight :D..plus i finished it just in time for it to get cold. Suppose to be 3” of snow tomorrow :/

I might able to put snow shoes on it but then i’d have to find someone willing to ride it in the snow. It’s like 50 outside now and i don’t want to be in it haha....i use to go out no matter what, so long as the wasn’t ice on the ground, but that ideology fits me like my jacket does after a three year riding hiatus that was filled with cookies and ice cream.

Always intrigued by what looks like a more reliable Guzzi engine. Good job on the transformation. I really like the exhaust look. But I will say I had to look at the completed bike pics multiple times before I started seeing "it".

Back