• Welcome to the Two Wheeled Texans community! Feel free to hang out and lurk as long as you like. However, we would like to encourage you to register so that you can join the community and use the numerous features on the site. After registering, don't forget to post up an introduction!

My new old RD400 Daytona Special

Reaction score
First Name
Greg
I recently purchased a 79' RD-400 Daytona Special but from out of state. It is in very nice original condition with 7,400 original miles verified. I looked at several that appear to be stock but most are not. Stock ones are getting harder and harder to find so I jumped on this one.

I had one in 1981 and am still kicking myself for selling it.

The bike meets the requirements to be registered as Antique Motorcycle and registration will be $50.00 for 5 years and I will be exempt from state inspections.

I know...no pic, it didn't happen, so hopefully this will work.

At the dealer:

EPS4.jpg

Being loaded for the trip to it's new home:

Transport.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice bike, brings back good memories. My first street bike was a nearly new '75 RD400.

BTW - Antique plates are restricted use and not for normal transportation vehicles. Not sure how strict LEO enforce that though.

_

BTW - Antique plates are restricted use and not for normal transportation vehicles. Not sure how strict LEO enforce that though.

_

Just keep a logbook and log each trip as "Maintenance Run". I do it with my '53 M38A1.

I need to get the insurance back on the little bandit and we need a 400cc get together. :mrgreen:

Nice bike, I can't believe the condition it's in.

Man I used to have the RD350 and that thing would haul the mail. I could could beat honda 750s when I was 2-up. really ticked others off when I smoked em! lost parking privelidges at Northup U (when at A&P school) for wheelieing across the parking lot. nice scoot you got there.----jack

Great find..... Wish I had one still..

I had both an RD350, and RD400.. both very molested,,,,errrr, MODDED.

The usual suspects, Toomey Pipes, TZ rods and bearings, welded crank, blueprinted transmission with back cut gears, works performance shocks, etc , etc, etc

Your fresh looking OEM find is a treat for sure.. Enjoy

Encouraging people to lie is never good advice.

He didn't say lie, he said log. On a 30 year old bike, it will need some running to see what needs to be maintained. ;-)

A buddy had the Kenny Roberts liquid cooled one...it scared him, it was stolen and recovered, and then it died a horrible rotting death on his patio. Still makes me cry if I think about it too long.

That's not me on the bike, it's the seller.
I'm still waiting on the the transport to deliver it. Should be here early next month.

I also thought that the guy was too big for it.

didn't these bikes have a bikini faring? I had an original Seca 550 with similar paint scheme.

The Seca 550 (in my top 5 prettiest bikes ever) had a fairing but the RD did not.

It's here and in my garage!

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii78/4734_photos/1979 Yamaha RD-400 Daytona Special/DSCF2376.jpg

Haulbikes did a great job, no damage and great communications.

Now it's time to start changing fluids, checking bolts, cleaning, polishing, and listing things that need replacing prior to riding.

29 years ago I was sitting on my kitchen floor cleaning one like this one. Now I'm doing the same thing but in the garage. I tried to roll it into the house, and got one of those looks.

Very nice find! I had an orange RD350 when I was stationed in the Panama Canal Zone in the early 70's. Boy that thing would really haul! If I remember correctly I got it up to 110 mph on one of the closed runways at old France Field. I still had throttle left!

Back